Page 5 of 501 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Sonic was the lead singer of Tokio Hotel right?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Anyone watch that Ajax-Lyon game. Jesus christ it was mad
    Yes, could've been 11-4 really. That second half was absolute madness.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Really impressed with De Ligt and Dolberg.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Any person with a full license can teach you how to drive. I could teach my elder sister if she didn't get so panicky when driving (she might never be able to drive).

I got my hours up with my parents before getting 10 lessons with an instructor, and he commented at the time we started that I was already pretty advanced, but it was useful to get tips on the laws and try and iron out any bad habits I could have inherited from my parents' driving. I got my L's at 19 and P's a year later at 20 (24 now). That was in Queensland, and I got it the first time (sorry Niles). The only mistake I made was slightly mounting the curb on my reverse parallel park. I hate reverse parallel parking.

On a related note, Victorian drivers are much worse than Queensland drivers, despite Victoria having stricter requirements (P's for 3 years instead of 2; need to be 17 before you can sit your L's versus 16 in Qld; probably some other stuff). I was born in NSW, but never really drove there, other than driving through on the way south with my dad a couple of years ago, and we went the country route in any case.
    Interesting. I was under the impression that if you mounted the kerb at all it was an instant fail. Maybe your testing officer didn't notice. My brother failed his first time by mounting the kerb when they were leaving the RTA parking lot (this was about 10 years ago), but of course they had to keep going. He failed again the next time but got it on his third go. My little sister, on the other hand, got her Ps a few months ago on the first try, but was apparently one point away from failing altogether so I don't feel too bad.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

I didn't really mount the curb, I just bumped it, I guess. I'm pretty sure he commented, but it was a few years ago now and I don't remember for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    Exactly. But they put into the same category as other failing offenses, e.g. performing an illegal act or maneuver; colliding with a vehicle, pedestrian or object; causing a dangerous situation, etc. I could understand it if I was about to hit another car and they had to intervene to avoid that, but not my case.

Anyway, my state is notorious for the strict driving tests. Most people I know failed their first time.
    Hmm, when I got my driving license, .... we took a driver's ed course. We, then, went to the DMV (dept. Motor Vehicles) took the written test, if you pass you took the driving test. If you pass both, you got your license. Of course, you have to have liability insurance first. After all that, I was free to terrorize the roads.
    China was hilarious. They gave us this h=huge booklet with questions and answers. You read through it, then you go take a test. Every now and then they would give you hints for the right answers.
    For the Chinese, it is similar (except they do an incredibly long driving part). They also do not give them the answers. My wife was pissed when I told her.
    In Dubai, it was easier. I just showed them my Driver's License from the US and the International Driver's license, paid some money, and I was driving in Dubai.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Dhaka is in Bangladesh right? Doesn't Bangladesh have a huge flooding problem during the Monsoon Season?
    Remind me not to ask you any Geography questions.
    Last edited by PikeStance; May 04, 2017 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Hmm, when I got my driving license, .... we took a driver's ed course. We, then, went to the DMV (dept. Motor Vehicles) took the written test, if you pass you took the driving test. If you pass both, you got your license. Of course, you have to have liability insurance first. After all that, I was free to terrorize the roads.
    China was hilarious. They gave us this h=huge booklet with questions and answers. You read through it, then you go take a test. Every now and then they would give you hints for the right answers.
    For the Chinese, it is similar (except they do an incredibly long driving part). They also do not give them the answers. My wife was pissed when I told her.
    In Dubai, it was easier. I just showed them my Driver's License from the US and the International Driver's license, paid some money, and I was driving in Dubai.

Remind me not to ask you any Geography questions.
    I'll lay it out for you, insofar as NSW is concerned.

1. You first have to take a computer based knowledge test before you can obtain a Learners licence. This involves multiple choice questions about basic road rules, but you need to get something like 98% to pass.

2. Once you have your Learners you must have a full licence driver supervise you for 120 hours of driving (100 day; 20 night). You also need to be on your Learners for at least a year so you can't rush through it in a few months.

3. In order to advance to a Provisional P1 licence, you need to take a driving test with a qualified testing officer. If you pass, hooray. You can now drive on your own. You need to be on the P1 licence for at least a year.

4. The next step is to do a computer based hazard perception test. If you pass, you progress to a Provisional P2 licence. You need to be on the P2 licence for at least two years.

5. The final stage is going for a full licence which involves another computer based test.

Of course, back in my parents' day all you had to prove was that you could drive down a road and steer a car and you got your licence. My mum had only practised about 10 hours with her dad.

In Texas, the multiple choice only requires 80% of questions to be correct. You then get a learner license, you have to have a licenced driver over the age of 21 in the front passenger seat. After 30 hours of class instruction, 50 hours of driving, and six months of holding the learner license, you can take a driving test.

If you're under 18 you a Provisional Driver License which only lets you have one passenger, once you turn 18, it is replaced with a full driver license.

Tietonian's Avatar Laetus

Since everyone is talking about learning to drive and coding and stuff:

I learned to drive in Washington State. There are two ways to get a license. The first, the one I did is for people aged 15-18 and includes driver's ed and written and driving tests. There are also a ton of exceptions and restrictions too complicated to enumerate. Makes it convenient to bend the rules if needed... The second is for people older than 18. All you need to do there is have a learners permit for a short period of time and take a written test. I left out many details but it is extraordinarily and unnecessarily complicated.

Anyone here ever used LabVIEW to program instruments? I'm a Materials Science undergrad trying to get into a research group. The group head says that is something I could learn that is useful.

Welcome to the site/ community!

What's a Materials Science major... hey bring me that microscope!

Yeha mate, do computers and , way more money.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Ours cost about 2100£

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Yeha mate, do computers and , way more money.
    Its not that easy though. Trust me, I "do" them and you have to learn a lot and be constantly ready to learn more as new things constantly come around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Fair enough about your family values preventing you from drinking, my family values prohibit me from not drinking.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Im actually 10 years old soon at may 15th

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Happy 10th TWCrack addiction anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tietonian View Post
    Since everyone is talking about learning to drive and coding and stuff:

I learned to drive in Washington State. There are two ways to get a license. The first, the one I did is for people aged 15-18 and includes driver's ed and written and driving tests. There are also a ton of exceptions and restrictions too complicated to enumerate. Makes it convenient to bend the rules if needed... The second is for people older than 18. All you need to do there is have a learners permit for a short period of time and take a written test. I left out many details but it is extraordinarily and unnecessarily complicated.

Anyone here ever used LabVIEW to program instruments? I'm a Materials Science undergrad trying to get into a research group. The group head says that is something I could learn that is useful.

I did, for my measurements and transducers course. Never got the hang of it. Give me VHDL any day of the week.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

My science requirements were simple
    6 hours of one science with a lab (forgot the number of hours)
    and 3 hours of another science course.

My 6 hours was astronomy even though I liked physics. (I like astronomy too though)
    3 hours, I took biology.

I do not recall too much about the courses, except for the teachers. The astronomy guy was hilarious. The first Biology was the worst teacher on the planet (no pun intended) followed by one of the best. I do not know why there were two teachers, but I am glad there were.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Im actually 10 years old soon at may 15th
    Soon you'll have a nice shiny badge like me. I missed my 13th anniversary which was about a month ago.

You should have shown your driving instructor your badge, I bet he'd have passed you.

Patrician

I've been here for almost 6 years now. Where the hell does the time go?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

It seems like Venezuela is starting to go into full scale riot mode.