Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

The boy - netflix

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Just found decade old books I collected for modding pictures but never read!

not sure how I got those. hundreds of pages of photos, but the books themselves are not available anywhere.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

What's up with all the Chinese crap? Stay true to Western superiority! Don't change your badges!

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Meh I din’t like Italians anyway
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Oh no, my badge changed too! What is this? Cultural appropriation.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I for one welcome our Red Chinese overlords.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Three Kingdoms Total War?

I'm disappointed they don't make a central asian theme or Song dynasty instead. It'll be as boring as American civil war no doubt, just clones knifing each other.

Patrician

I don't support CA's slaughtering of history.

Imagine the millions of normies who will play this game and have their perception of the Three Kingdoms be completely warped by this nonsense.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I have zero interest to buy this game...ever. Not because I don't like the historical period, but because it looks arcadish. Wtf happened to Total War after Attila? I've never even played the Warhammer stuff. Maybe I'm just getting too old.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Yes you're! Maybe I'm just sick of that era because 90% of Chinese movies are for that, SAME characters and story.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Oh no, my badge changed too! What is this? Cultural appropriation.
    That word again. Where I come from, when you appropriate a culture, you are celebrating it.
    I wouldn't complain about it; you should have seen th announcements that was up "4 weeks" although you were never given the option to keep the old ones. Personally I like them, though they look a tad too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I don't support CA's slaughtering of history.

Imagine the millions of normies who will play this game and have their perception of the Three Kingdoms be completely warped by this nonsense.
    I have zero interest to buy this game...ever. Not because I don't like the historical period, but because it looks arcadish. Wtf happened to Total War after Attila? I've never even played the Warhammer stuff. Maybe I'm just getting too old.
    If you watch the interviews, the "historical" team was smitten by the Romance novels even though that is not history.
    The "record" mode is a few changes, but it clear it is afterthought changes. It's little obvious that they had no intention of making a "historical" title like in the past. They even originally called it "classic" mode as if it was something in the past. The only positive thing is they seem to have responded more positively to the backlash, unlike the tirade someone had about the backlash about the female generals for Rome II.

I purchased the game only because of Chinese New year and Christmas soften the blow for my wife. I also know that either I will or someone else will make it more historical. There are more texture modders than you can shake a stick at that can take some of the cartoonish textures. According to the last stream, they "heard" the complaints about the icon, so maybe (crossing fingers) that will be fixed. The icons just stick out like an eyesore.

I'll wait for the next game in the series. There are plenty of other great games these days. I can't wait for the new Paradox title, "Imperator: Rome."

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Meh I din’t like Italians anyway
    Why?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

The icons in R2 drove me mad, or I should say paralyzed...

@Flinn: is that Mr. Bean from England??

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

it's a merge between the Stranger from The Big Lebowsky (whose favorite sentence was "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes, well, the bear eats you) and Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

I can't wait for the new Paradox title, "Imperator: Rome."
    My first preorder after many many years...

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    If you watch the interviews, the "historical" team was smitten by the Romance novels even though that is not history.
    The "record" mode is a few changes, but it clear it is afterthought changes. It's little obvious that they had no intention of making a "historical" title like in the past. They even originally called it "classic" mode as if it was something in the past. The only positive thing is they seem to have responded more positively to the backlash, unlike the tirade someone had about the backlash about the female generals for Rome II.

I purchased the game only because of Chinese New year and Christmas soften the blow for my wife. I also know that either I will or someone else will make it more historical. There are more texture modders than you can shake a stick at that can take some of the cartoonish textures. According to the last stream, they "heard" the complaints about the icon, so maybe (crossing fingers) that will be fixed. The icons just stick out like an eyesore.
    It seems that they have completely dumbed down the game. Specifically coding battles to have generals dueling as a mechanism... Why? This didn't happen as often as ROTK implies. Contemporary folktales about the Three Kingdoms, which are the basis for ROTK, were the ancient equivalent of a Wuxia novel.

Inexplicably they aren't adding in naval battles???

I'm sick of Total War games in general. All it is, raise army, run around conquering stuff, fight real time battles. What we need is a game with complexity and historicity. Having to acquire manpower for both agriculture, construction and warfare. Enacting policies to increase crop yields, manpower, horses.

So for example in that time period the Han Dynasty neglected and mismanaged many provinces. Then the Yellow Turban Revolt broke out and entire areas were devastated. The state began to rely on private armies. Dong Zhuo destabilized the state and these private troops turned into warlord armies. The destruction and subsequent famine were so widespread that peasants willingly joined warlords or built their own militant communities (theocratic communes, quasi An-Cap societies, bandits and pirates). Which in itself became a source of capable soldiers for a warlord or regime (for example the Yellow Turbans in Qing province were defeated and absorbed by Tsao Tsao's army).

In the south lands they began to enact feudalism and encourage migration by settling the southern forest and swamps as well as enslaving the local tribes. In the south they also instituted a system of "feudalism" in which powerful families were acknowledged and allowed to retain their lands and serfs. State officials and military officers could also be rewarded with lands and serfs.

Tsao Tsao on the other hand used state power to establish a sort of frontier system (Tuntian), but instead of having military colonies on the frontier he established them throughout his realm. People could be registered as laborers or soldiers, in exchange for land, tools and oxen. As much as 60% of the grain could go to the state as a form of tax, those on the military registers would be called up for service, but every family was required to provide an able bodied person as part of their contract. In addition to this he increased his military power by conquering steppe tribes and in some cases resettling them within the borders of his state. Policies so successful that they ensured the military dominance of the north throughout the Three Kingdoms period. Also setting the basis in some manner for subsequent barbarian states when they invaded in the 300's.

A game with mechanisms like this would fundamentally change how the game is played depending on the player choices. Strategies and plans would have to change based on this, it would also affect internal state functions, how armies are raised, how campaigns are fought, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Yes you're! Maybe I'm just sick of that era because 90% of Chinese movies are for that, SAME characters and story.
    True. The Three Kingdoms seems to be the only historical period that they want to make content about.

Remember back in the 1990's and early 2000's when the Warring States were popular and they made movies like Hero and The Emperor and the Assassin.
    Although I saw the more recent movie Last Supper. It deviated from the general mold. A focus on the Chu-Han contention this time.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; March 18, 2019 at 01:11 PM.

Yeah TW titles are becoming boring and sort of repetitive. Three Kingdoms added the heroes stuff but they don't feel appealing and kinda went into arcade mode. WH franchise was a success and but I don't think this will fortify their position even further.
    They need to add more complexity like CK2 etc. But I think it's quite hard to invest in such a model right now when it's easy to push out such games quickly and do an instant money grab. CA won't work afresh unless their marketing team tells them to reinvent due to poor sales which isn't going to happen I think.

Patrician

I'm enjoying Crusader Kings 2. Been playing a lot of games since Holy Fury came out.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I'm enjoying Crusader Kings 2. Been playing a lot of games since Holy Fury came out.
    I hope you're aware of HIP. If not, just message me and I'll give you more info about it. I was an advisor back in the day for Meneth (its base creator). This overhaul-mod is more like a new game actually.