Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: A Map of Ice and Fire

SoulGamesInc's Avatar Lord Commander
    Content Staff Citizen Gaming Staff

Default A Map of Ice and Fire

A Map of Ice and Fire, my pet project of sorts, building a map of Westeros and the coast of Essos to allow for multiple scenarios on a grander scale than previously allowed. The Age of Heroes, Andal Invasion, War of Conquest, Dance of Dragons, Blackfyre Rebellions and everything beyond. The map as a clean slate can be filled with characters to fill every conflict across the ages. A true Map of Ice and Fire. Updates posted when available. - SoulGamesInc

Picture Previews
    The North
    The Neck
    The Wolfswood
    The Nights Watch
    Beyond the Wall

Video Previews
    The North (Outdated)
    The South (Outdated)

I'll cover the project in more detail via videos on each section/kingdom of the map as they are 'finished' to at least presentable levels. In short the aim here is to provide a blank slate that can be used for various Hotseat
    scenarios (playable in SinglePlayer, but that's not the real focus here) for the community from the Age of Heros to the Winds of Winter and everything between. A side-project of mine also (once the main map is finished) is to begin construction on maps for each of the 7 kingdoms; using the Westerlands and Reyne Rebellion as an example, a large-scale map of the West with 100+ regions, made for scenarios within that region of Westeros.

The current mod(s) set to use this project are War of Conquest and Dream of Spring. Myself and others are looking forward to an Andal Invasion setting too once the maps finished.

Last edited by SoulGamesInc; July 09, 2017 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Re-added banner

Default Re: [Project] A Map of Ice and Fire

Westeros Total War: A Map of Ice and Fire - The North

The Vale is essentially complete and I for one think it looks rather pretty. With numerous strategic narrow mountain passes I pity those foolish enough to invade the Vale of Arryn without a dragons fire to back them up. Out of every region in Westeros, this stands as the easiest to defend, as it should be. The West has it's merits too, the North it's moat, but none compare to the Vales many natural defenses. A truly impregnable kingdom.
    The Vale

Work is well underway on the Westerlands, Isles and Riverlands. I should have more to show you fairly soon and even more to follow that.
    Last edited by SoulGamesInc; April 23, 2017 at 01:27 PM.

Foederatus

Looks absolutely excellent!

110 regions added thus far with the Westerlands and Riverlands finished, at least to a playable degree, leaving us with 90 or so regions to add going forward. 8 for the Iron Islands and an average of 15 per kingdom with 4 kingdoms left adds up to 68. We can assume the Reach will boast extra so let's add an extra 5 onto there and we've got a generous 73. 110 +73 is 183. Leaving us with a comfortable 20-ish extra regions to add.

Improvements are also being made to the Vale and North. I'll show off the improvements in due time among other previews but know that work continues at full speed.
    Last edited by SoulGamesInc; April 28, 2017 at 05:23 AM.

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

I actually don't like to many extra regions since their location/names are neither confirmed or aproved by GRRM
    "Får jag kalla dig Bajen? Det är lättare att komma ihåg..."

Thus far I haven't taken many liberties with semi-canon settlements, there are more than enough mentioned in passing and/or in a World of Ice and Fire etc.

irishviking5's Avatar Decanus

Looking great!!! Are you planning on putting smaller cities on Essos representing the free cities power over the lands or just the individual free cities?

Parafix's Avatar I have this stick...
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Most likely just the individual free cities, depending on how close we are to settlement cap.

Oh I can't wait to play this.

What are your reference sources?

The Riverlands have seen more blood and hardship than any other kingdom, acting as the stage for many of the great wars throughout history. They are vast and rely heavily on their natural river defenses to survive. Riverrun, the seat of House Tully, is the best example of this; a citadel capable of flooding it's moats to become a floating island fortress, standing as a testament to the Riverlands strength in the face of whatever odds.
    The Riverlands

To the North stands the Twins, as capable of holding enemies at pay as Riverrun itself, although less reliable in many ways. To the south lays Stoney Sept, a modest town on the front lines against southern invaders. To the east Harrenhal stands vigil. A ruin, but a formidable ruin all the same. All in all the Riverlands and those that call it home will not prove an easy target for any would-be conqueror.

That's a basic look at the Riverlands for you with the major regions in place. As with everything, it's subject to changes / additional regions / improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hierarch View Post
    What are your reference sources?
    The Wiki and A World of Ice and Fire, mostly. When in doubt I use CK2's Agot mod to refresh myself on locations but I'm enough of a nerd to have the map very clear in my head.
    Last edited by SoulGamesInc; May 01, 2017 at 10:36 PM.

Hey! Question about Hotseat vs Single Player Campaign: I've never done Hotseat so I'll I've known is the Campaign mode. I like it and I do wish there was a real comprehensive and richly in-depth mod like on the scale of Third Age Total War but I am excited for this new map being made. It certainly opens up a whole lot more possibilities, some of these being events such as a White Walkers invading or even the Red Wedding if that scenario could play out that way in this game. The political depth is only so good as I know it's nothing like Attila or Rome. Would the politics play out any differently in these new games or does playing hotseat make it the way it was meant to be like in the show?

I guess what I'm asking is can I expect anything drastically different in regards to the campaign or should I give hotseating a chance?

Love these games and cna't wait for more mods based off of the new map being made!

Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post
    The Riverlands have seen more blood and hardship than any other kingdom, acting as the stage for many of the great wars throughout history. They are vast and rely heavily on their natural river defenses to survive. Riverrun, the seat of House Tully, is the best example of this; a citadel capable of flooding it's moats to become a floating island fortress, standing as a testament to the Riverlands strength in the face of whatever odds.
    The Riverlands

To the North stands the Twins, as capable of holding enemies at pay as Riverrun itself, although less reliable in many ways. To the south lays Stoney Sept, a modest town on the front lines against southern invaders. To the east Harrenhal stands vigil. A ruin, but a formidable ruin all the same. All in all the Riverlands and those that call it home will not prove an easy target for any would-be conqueror.

That's a basic look at the Riverlands for you with the major regions in place. As with everything, it's subject to changes / additional regions / improvements.

The Wiki and A World of Ice and Fire, mostly. When in doubt I use CK2's Agot mod to refresh myself on locations but I'm enough of a nerd to have the map very clear in my head.
    Two things.

1) While I get Riverrun's look, the way the land strip all lead up to it looks just plain ugly. I doubt there's a way to make it nicer with what game limitations, but damn.

2) Thanks for the answer! Have you looked at Atlas of Ice and Fire? They have some neat maps. Example:

Quote Originally Posted by WadesWorld25 View Post
    can I expect anything drastically different in regards to the campaign or should I give hotseating a chance?
    Well ultimately this 'project' is just the map, what mods use it I can confirm as Dream of Spring and my own mod War of Conquest. We'll use it for other eras too. There will be numerous events in SP and HSing (WhiteWalkers, Wildlings, Targaryen Invasions, Etc) but things are ultimately focused on Hotseating. Why? Simply put, HSing offers far more for the player than Single ever could. Diplomacy and intrigue is something in Hotseating that blows SP out of the water and is personally my reason for enjoying it; since it feels so much more like Game of Thrones when your enemy and 'friends' are actually real people with their own agenda.

SP is fun enough but HSing is the next step, in my view, especially for GoT where intrigue and diplomacy is haft the fun. I'd recommend trying it to any fan of the books and/or show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hierarch View Post
    the way the land strip all lead up to it looks just plain ugly
    Strongly disagree. Are limited alternatives, but I think it looks fine so it's unlikely I'll change it. I'll keep the Atlas place in mind tho.
    Last edited by SoulGamesInc; May 03, 2017 at 01:43 PM.

Thank you for that!

The Westerlands

The Iron Islands
    Dorne

Other Updates

It's my birthday, so have some previews. It's all very WIP (some areas more than others) so assume everything is subject to tweaks/improvement and in the case of Dorne it's very early concept work at best and only the basic layout of the mountains is drawn but it gives you the basic idea. Many regions need fine-tuning. The hole coast(s) will need smoothing too but that's final polish. All in all work is progressing nicely.

Next on my list is handling the Crownlands, Reach and Stormlands. Once they are fairly presentable I will go over everything and make improvements. Essos needs doing too...

Playing around with Dorne, very much a work in progress as usual, but looking pretty enough.
    Dorne - Update

Morrowgan's Avatar Decanus

Dorne needs the Tower of Joy on the stratmap
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Quote Originally Posted by Morrowgan View Post
    needs the Tower of Joy on the stratmap
    It'll be there, somewhere up in the hills along the pass. I'll mark it down...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm going to lure Inarus to make me a bunch of settlement models, so maybe we'll have an actual Tower of Joy model at some point. Maybe. If not maybe it'll just be an actual watchtower... see if anyone notices it...
    Last edited by SoulGamesInc; May 13, 2017 at 10:12 AM.

Westeros Total War: A Map of Ice and Fire - The South

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast