Thread: TotW 258: Rulership - WINNER'S CIRCLE

Default TotW 258: Rulership - WINNER'S CIRCLE

Congratulations to Caillagh de Bodemloze, winner of TotW 258! Winning story is here:

Rex Quondam...

How can I do it?
    How can I not do it?I am the King. The only man with the power to reach the verdict; the only man with the power to pass the sentence that has to be passed. I have responsibilities. All know my history; the story of how I came to my throne. I cannot refuse to do my duty now; that would be to turn my back on God and on all my people.

I have served my people as well as I could. And so have my Knights; the men who sit at my Table on feast-days risk their lives for me and for this realm all the rest of the year. The loyalty of every one of them is undeniable… almost. As is that of my wife.

They tell me there is no doubt. They tell me she – and he – have betrayed me utterly. They tell me there can be only one verdict, and only one sentence. Death. Death by burning. I have asked if some other death might be permitted, and they say no. No. The woman I love – the woman who has stood by my side with devotion through so much – must die a hideous, agonising death, and all must see it, for only punishment of such enormous horror and pain lays sufficient stress on the gravity of her crime.

There can be no forgiveness. No amount of remorse is enough. No repentance will satisfy them.

How can they tell me that killing a good woman is serving God? Burning alive a loyal, dutiful, loving wife? If only I could save her from this. My only hope – and my greatest fear – is that he will come to rescue her. Perhaps that’s why he fled. After all we have faced together, I know he is no coward. My closest friend. My best ally. Maybe he can still save my wife.

Still, I must oppose him. If I assist him in any way – if I leave my wife inadequately guarded – it will seem to the people that I think myself above the law, able to act however I wish with no penalty. So I must send my nephews to defend the honour they tell me I have already lost, to fight a battle I do not want to fight.

If he comes to try and rescue my wife, it will divide my Knights. It will divide my kingdom. It will shatter the peace we have built together, remove our protection of my people. But if he does not, my wife will die screaming in torment. How can I choose between the safety of my people and the very life of my love? I cannot abandon my people… I can’t bear to abandon my wife…

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: TotW 258: Rulership - WINNER'S CIRCLE

Congratulations Caillagh, a deserved win Alas I've repped you too much, and can't do it right now, so I'll leave that to others!
    Last edited by Mhaedros; April 17, 2017 at 02:23 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Congrats on the win. the de Bodemloze plan for domination of the Study continues

Post here for rep.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I'm extremely surprised to have won - I was really impressed by the standard of the entries. Congratulations to everyone else on such brilliant writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Congratulations Caillagh, a deserved win Alas I've repped you too much, and can't do it right now, so I'll leave that to others!
    Thank you! Your entry was excellent, if I may say so. I would not have been remotely surprised if this competition had provided a very comfortable win for the Imperial House of Hader.

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Congrats on the win. the de Bodemloze plan for domination of the Study continues
    Is this a separate plan from the grand master-plan, or is this just stage 1 of the whole world domination thing? I get so confused...

Thank you.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Well deserved, congratulations. A great variety of stories and let's just hope it continues to be so in the future as well.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Is this a separate plan from the grand master-plan, or is this just stage 1 of the whole world domination thing? I get so confused...

Thank you.
    It's okay, you're new to the team... Study domination is separate to grand master-plan, but is also a kind of subsidiary of it.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE