Thread: Rebalanced Ranged Troops & Warfare

Default Rebalanced Ranged Troops & Warfare

This is a purely stats mod (no new units, textures, etc.)!

Hi, i am general molotof, and this is my first mod ever!
    I started playing Shogun II Total War and the matchlock units of the game, immediately caught my attention. I thought about dominating the battlefield with the volleys of my men (seriously affected by my Napoleon Total War experience) but of course i then realised that matchlocks aren't the gods of the battlefield.

So they aren't gods, but what can be done in order to get a more realistic experience out of them? I made a research on the internet and on some books I had and decided on the following factors:

1) The recruitment cost of bow units is lower than the cost of their matchlock equivalent (for example: bow ashigaru = 300 koku, is cheaper than matchlock ashigaru = 400 koku) this justifies the fact that bows were cheaper to manufacture than matchlocks.
    2) The upkeep cost of bow units though is more than the cost of their matchlock equivalent (for example: bow ashigaru = 100, matchlock ashigaru = 50).
    3) The recruitment time of bow units has been increased (for example: bow ashigaru = 2 turns, matchlock ashigaru = 1 turn). I did this change in order to demonstrate the need of a lot of training from the part of the archers to be effective. This also means that you will have to really plan ahead if you want a decent bow force. On the contrary, matchlock units are easier to train.
    4) Ammunition has also changed: All matchlock units have 30 ammunition, whereas all bow units have 20 ammunition.
    5) Range has changed as well, for the matchlock units at least. All matchlock units now have 125 range, with the exception of the imported matchlock ashigaru, the Portuguese tercos (because European guns are better than the Japanese ones), and the shimazu heavy gunners who have 150 range.
    6) And most importantly, accuracy and reload time for both bows and matchlocks have been changed. Generally speaking, bow units have x1.5 times the accuracy of their equivalent matchlock unit (for example: bow ashigaru = 30, matchlock ashigaru = 20), and about x3 times less reload time (for example: bow ashigaru = 30, matchlock ashigaru = 10), for obvious reasons: the matchlocks of the time were very primitive and unreliable, but they ignored armour at close ranges. Moreover base reload time has changed. It is 30s for matchlocks and 10s for bows.
    7) Now all ashigaru units have 200 men, with the exception of the Ikko Ikki who have 250 men. Bow and matchlock samurai units have 100 men, as well as bow and matchlock warrior monks and shimazu heavy gunners. Also bow and matchlock heros have 75 men and lastly, Portuguese tercos have 50 men.

There are more changes, subscribe and let me know what you think!

Last but not least, i want to mention this excellent video, which helped me make my first mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QrDljmXFXY, enjoy!

This mod doesn't touch any units from the ROTS & FOTS expansions.

Please rate & subscribe,
    Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    " Άρχεσθαι μαθών άρχειν επιστήσει "
    " When you learn to be commanded, you will learn to command "

Σόλων 630-560 π.Χ.

Default Re: Rebalanced Ranged Troops & Warfare

I actually made this mod a while ago and it was uploaded at steam workshop, thought i could upload it here as well!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=507458476
    " Άρχεσθαι μαθών άρχειν επιστήσει "
    " When you learn to be commanded, you will learn to command "

Σόλων 630-560 π.Χ.