Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you enjoying the slow death of TWC?

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Default Re: How are you enjoying the slow death of TWC?

i'm going to assume it was cringey teenage and that it's something i'd rather forget

It was a legitimate Happy New Year wish, lol. Though you did address me as "Godfrey" and not my actual name, so I guess it somewhat was a tad cringey.

''How are you enjoying the slow death of TWC?'' I do not think it is dying as its still here. Death smiles upon us all and all we can do is smile bacl and drink vodka

My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperial. Can you say the same?

All we are is shadows and dust Maximus. Anyhow the layout of this forum for a newbie like me is hard to understand . I just came here to find out the next Total war game out after they finish with the childish Warhammer fetish . And I am still looking. Just wandering around.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Slightly off-topic, but there are three projects planned if you're interested EU Empire.

- DLC for an old title such as Attila or Rome 2 (I think)
    - A "Saga" game, which will basically be a cross between what Fall of the Samurai DLC was to Shogun 2, and what Caesar in Gaul was to Rome 2. A slightly smaller (I think) game centered around a specific moment in time. It looks like it will be set in Ireland or Britain, so perhaps Vikings.
    - Whatever the next full-blown historical title is. Hopefully Total War: Victoria or China

Concerning the slow death of TWC, I don't really think TWC has a chance with competing with Steam in terms of hosting mods. With the more recent titles with Steam Workshop, the only thing we've got going for us is huge overhauls with hundreds of pages of discussions can be found here, and you can find heaps of pages of modding discussion. In terms of heaps of little mods though, we can't compete with Steam.

I hope a good game like this ''Whatever the next full-blown historical title is. Hopefully Total War: Victoria'' would get people subscribing to your forum.

Despite being a Warhammer tabletop fan I'd really like to play something historical, albeit outside the traditional TW Europe/Middle-East/North Africa axis. I mean S2TW is great but I've racked up over 500 hours by now...

Preferably something detailed and with a limited focus. I'd rather play in a Japan with over 100 regions than in a Europe with fewer.
    Last edited by Inkie; October 21, 2017 at 09:42 AM.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkie View Post
    Despite being a Warhammer tabletop fan I'd really like to play something historical, albeit outside the traditional TW Europe/Middle-East/North Africa axis. I mean S2TW is great but I've racked up over 500 hours by now...

Preferably something detailed and with a limited focus. I'd rather play in a Japan with over 100 regions than in a Europe with fewer.
    Same. I did feel a bit jaded about them making two Warhammer editions in a row.

Personally I'd love to see a Medieval 3, though.

Personally I lost interest in Total War games and TWC after the Rome II debacle, hopefully the next historical title will see a resurgence in site activity.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

The "historicity" or lack thereof is what really irks me in some of the historical titles. Shogun 2 is a great example of a historical game with a surprising amount of inaccuracies.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Isn't that what we have mods for? Though I would prefer it if they at least left an option open for people who want to play a slightly more sophisticated, detailed or realistic game.

Anyway, I wonder how far this site will stretch into the future? I can't really imagine myself completely abandoning it, even if there isn't much going on. I wonder if it'll just be two or three madmen left debating each other in the Mudpit.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Some of the issues couldn't be fixed by mods alas.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    The "historicity" or lack thereof is what really irks me in some of the historical titles. Shogun 2 is a great example of a historical game with a surprising amount of inaccuracies.
    Isn't that what we have mods for? Though I would prefer it if they at least left an option open for people who want to play a slightly more sophisticated, detailed or realistic game.

Anyway, I wonder how far this site will stretch into the future? I can't really imagine myself completely abandoning it, even if there isn't much going on. I wonder if it'll just be two or three madmen left debating each other in the Mudpit.
    To be fair, these companies need to produce games on a deadline. They also have to create everything you see. The games are also design for about the average 12 year old as well. The level of complexity is adjusted for that. When you consider these factors and more it is not all surprising there are inaccuracies. The timeline they set for themselves and investors probably prevent them from providing a good modding platform. This is debatable, right?

This site as is will probably fade away. The life of the site is the community that was created. Steam may make modding easier, but it cannot duplicate the potential for a community here. Unfortunately, this site sort of lost it.

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Antissa View Post
    Personally I lost interest in Total War games and TWC after the Rome II debacle, hopefully the next historical title will see a resurgence in site activity.
    doubtful. reddit is pretty much the modern evolution of messageboards nowadays so i can only see this site slowly dying.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    To be fair, these companies need to produce games on a deadline. They also have to create everything you see. The games are also design for about the average 12 year old as well. The level of complexity is adjusted for that. When you consider these factors and more it is not all surprising there are inaccuracies.
    Yeah, the 'time-limit' before the next release is probably the main issue. Nonetheless, I would take the Metro series as an example for TW to emulate - they offered a regular mode for more casual players while also offering a 'ranger mode' for people who want more immersion and realism.
    Last edited by Inkie; October 22, 2017 at 09:27 PM.

This site has now diversified its interests from modding to much more.You pessimistic peoples!!!
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Actually if I remember TWC history correctly it's the other way round, the site was quite slow to cater properly to the modding scene, and it was only after lots of reforming that it came to enjoy its reign as the nexus of TW mod content, a role in which of course it is now being eclipsed by Steam. It also seems like TW-discussion - a domain in which this place also used to be king - has been taken over by Reddit, AFAIK given the toxic reputation our TW-area communities got during the run-up to and post-release of Rome II.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

The .Org was the place for mods and modding circa 2007 and earlier, IIRC, while TWC was not so much, as Inkie describes.
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachus View Post
    doubtful. reddit is pretty much the modern evolution of messageboards nowadays so i can only see this site slowly dying.
    Reddit is hardly a replacement for what TWC has and can offer a member. That is community. However, TWC has completely lost touch with that.

Yeah, the 'time-limit' before the next release is probably the main issue. Nonetheless, I would take the Metro series as an example for TW to emulate - they offered a regular mode for more casual players while also offering a 'ranger mode' for people who want more immersion and realism.
    I agree CA should adopt a similar approach. However, can modders do it better if given the proper medium to do so? CA should do or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    This site has now diversified its interests from modding to much more.You pessimistic peoples!!!
    Actually if I remember TWC history correctly it's the other way round, the site was quite slow to cater properly to the modding scene, and it was only after lots of reforming that it came to enjoy its reign as the nexus of TW mod content, a role in which of course it is now being eclipsed by Steam. It also seems like TW-discussion - a domain in which this place also used to be king - has been taken over by Reddit, AFAIK given the toxic reputation our TW-area communities got during the run-up to and post-release of Rome II.
    This is correct. It was always about debate and content. Modders were also part it. The site benefited from modding work while doing very little for it. The Artifex and Opifex additions are things done to show some form of appreciation. Now that content is next to nil as an attraction and since this site has traditionally done very little for modders, this site is dying a slow death. The combination of steam, ModDB and reddit are winning by default.