Thread: medieval total war 2 fatal graphics error and unspecified error

Default medieval total war 2 fatal graphics error and unspecified error

Hello,

I've been having this fatal graphics error and unspecified error pop up during launch of medieval everytime I try play it and I don't know whats wrong. My graphics card is up to date and everything but I was just wondering if someone could help me find a solution so I can play the game. My computer is windows 7.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: medieval total war 2 fatal graphics error and unspecified error

Check your log (in the main directory) and copy the entries here.
    Which graphic card are you using?

Hello

I have a similar problem, a graphic error followed by a ctd: "medieval 2 total war has encountered an unspecified error and will now exit". It happens mostly on siege with reinforcements battles.
    This is my recent case maybe someone will make some sense out of it.

battle preparations
    http://oi67.tinypic.com/2rdxbev.jpg

battle start
    http://i68.tinypic.com/30t4bwl.jpg

degrading fast
    http://imgur.com/a/uk646

general speech
    http://imgur.com/SOUIwPI

P.S. I am running medieval 2 ss6.4 on a lenovo g50-80 laptop with win 7 64 bits, all drivers up to date. Not the best pc for gaming but i did run vanilla great a while ago on the same laptop with xp sp3.

Blog Entries

That is some serious 'graphic collapse' - does it only happen during battles?
    What processor and video card are you using?
    Have you tried running battles with reduced graphic settings (in game video option settings)?

Edit: the first picture indicates a massive battle - at least 6 armies with a substantial number of soldiers, not for the faint of heart processor - especially if he hasn't got a high enough Ghz number and too high graphic details.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 25, 2017 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, this happens only during battles.

My pc specs are 4gb ram, i3-4005u cpu(1.70ghz), amd radeon r5 330 (2gb). The good thing is that this error does not persist with the same battle, if i run the game immediately after the crash i am good to go for at least a few turns until that "medieval 2 total war has encountered an unspecified error and will now exit" will pop up again.
    I've tried running the game with low graphic settings, and I still got this crash while trying to push off a siege with my general and some mercenaries. Again a siege and multiple armies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, this happens only during battles.

My pc specs are 4gb ram, i3-4005u cpu(1.70ghz), amd radeon r5 330 (2gb). The good thing is that this error does not persist with the same battle, if i run the game immediately after the crash i am good to go for at least a few turns until that "medieval 2 total war has encountered an unspecified error and will now exit" will pop up again.
    I've tried running the game with low graphic settings, and I still got this crash while trying to push off a siege with my general and some mercenaries. Again a siege and multiple armies.
    Your CPU speed is the bottle neck - the game uses only one core and minimum recommended is 2.4GHz. I also vaguely recall some issue with AMD graphic cards, especially on the Steam version.
    Try reducing the video settings, especially the battle resolution, shadow, effects and details.

Sadly it is a hardware issue. Last time I played with small unit scale, I did that now and had no crash in about 4 hours of gameplay. I let everything else on auto-detect.

Blog Entries

It's regrettable but there is one upside: siege battles are more manageable as path finding becomes easier the smaller the unit scale.