Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible expansion soon?

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Possible expansion soon?

Quote Originally Posted by herne_the _hunter View Post
    Only feature from Attila i'd like would be governers. As for family trees i've been playing Rome 1 again and haven't used the family tree once...

As for campaigns there's plenty in that time period they could do. But whether this overlaps with what has been already released. The Icenii rebellion and adjacent extermiation of the druids is too simular to Ceaser in Gaul? I'm down for a crisis in the 3rd century as it's a nice segway into the Attila period. Not particulaly looking forward to an Alexander remake as I would prefer a wars of the Diodachi. Though if it did happen I'm sure a suitable mod would follow
    The family tree for me is very important because it creates a connection to the characters and makes me care for them more. In vanilla rome 2 there's zero reason to care for any character because they all die like flies in a few turns from old age, and you can always quickly level new ones. They're like clone troopers. In Rome 1 I was always checking my family tree, who married who, the children, looking at when my original faction leader and his wife died etcetera. It added a lot to the depth and story of my kingdom!

Speaking of campaigns, wasn't there talk about some Egyptian DLC campaign after release? Or was that simply speculation in connection to the Empire Edition Mark Anthony/Cleopatra trailer and/or artwork? If there supposedly was an egyptian campaign in the works that was never finished perhaps they could reuse those assets and finish it now.

Yes, making an Alexander campaign would be super easy if we had a Diadochi map. If the prologue was more moddable there would be a mod about the Third Servile War by now but sadly it has lots of limitations that the other campaigns do not have. If CA plans to release new campaigns I hope that the maps will be useable for several different scenarios
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

I think if we see something new for Rome 2, it will probably be a campaign pack and/or culture pack. Ideally both (a new campaign to play and some new factions to play in Grand Campaign, much like Caesar in Gaul and Hannibal at the Gates.) I too would like to see at least one more Britannic and Germanic Tribe, and there's plenty of history from the era that could be used for a campaign. (Something in the East could be interesting, assuming they didn't go for a full Grand Campaign/ Imperator Augustus style map.)

I don't think we'll see a major overhaul of game mechanics. I appreciate Family Tree is important for some, and I too have found it important in settings like Medieval and Shogun, but I just don't really feel it's absence in this setting and game. I've never had a problem with the turnover of generals in Rome 2, as I'm playing several hundred years of history (I don't use TPY mods) and I still find I become attached to certain generals (Viridovix the Terrible will long be remembered in the history of the Lusitanii... also feared... definitely feared. -32% enemy morale just for turning up to the battle.) And if they try and make too many changes to Rome 2 (like importing a bunch of features from Attila) they risk changing the things people like about Rome 2.

I also don't think returning to older games with new content is embarrassing or admitting failure. I think it's a recognition that their games have longevity and a fanbase who don't just play them in the short term. Also not everyone is as heavily into mods as some, so even though some things may have been done by modders, doesn't mean there isn't a place for official CA developed versions of those factions for those who aren't that interested in mods and a modders view of what a faction should look like.

As for overlap, I don't think it's as big a concern as you might think. There's at time of posting around 4,000 playing Attila, 7,000 playing Rome 2 and 11,000 playing Warhammer (rounded to the nearest thousand.) Plus another 9,000 or so playing other Total Wars (at least according to Steam Stats.) Okay some of those playing the non-Warhammer Total Wars are probably people who are taking a break from Warhammer till new content is released, but even so, that's a lot of players who might be interested in new content for Historicals but not, or at least not as much, new content for Warhammers.

Just my thoughts.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Interesting stuff. Thanks.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Seems certain to be a Germanic, probably Arminius campaign. The concept art contains the Cherusci symbol from Rome II:

A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

@GussieFinkNottle

I'd agree, but CA can be quite devious with their teasers at times (sometimes to their own detriment it must be said.) So could also be a mercenary unit of some kind.

Or maybe, anyone know if there's any units like the Galatian Royal Guard for Egypt that would fit the concept art? Just thinking if they did want things to be not quite so obvious, they might pick someone like that.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Rome 2 dlc Campaign for the Eagles
    Six years after the disaster at Teutoburger Wald, Drusus Germanicus was sent to recover the lost Eagles.

Map will be simular in scope to that of Avalon Hills Ceasers Legion which had scenarios of Teutoburger Wald and also a Campaign for the Eagles (1975)

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/296...-conquest-58-b

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I want to see the neo-babylonian empire, the fall of assyria, the rise of persia or maybe even the Hittite-Egyptian wars. Anything but Alexander and diadochi
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

So new news :
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-tota...announce-blog/

-standalone spin-off titles (so more than one possibly in the future)

-follow-on from previous Total War games and inhabit the same time-period, or at the very least relate to it.

-they are spin-off and not the next major title. (like Attila, FotS..especially FotS)

-Our team is the Flashpoint project team mentioned in that blog, and our game will be out first. The other game is our next major historical game, with its own large and dedicated team, and will feature a new era we haven’t visited yet.

-scale we’re talking about, the game that I’m currently working on has a map that is comparable in gameplay size to Total War: ATTILA, but focused on a smaller geographic area, and the campaign will take as long to complete as any other Total War title does

-Civil wars, great conquests, rebellions and uprisings, religious movements. (examples)

-We’ll announce it properly in the next few months, but I can say that it’s another spiritual follow-up to Total War: ROME II, like Total War: ATTILA, and moves the time period forward in much the same way.

EDIT:
    Just to make sure - Grace_CA comment from reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co..._blog/djt2tw8/ )
    This is another thing. We're saying that coming up is:

1. Our next major historical title
    2. A Total War Saga, which more along the lines of Fall of the Samurai

3. DLC for an existing historical title

Last edited by Daruwind; July 05, 2017 at 09:17 AM.

They mention "moves the time period forward in much the same way" so I doubt its Alexander.

Posted a suggestion for a realistic take on Arthurian Legends, inspired by the works of Bernard Cornwell, Stephen Lawhead, Jack Whyte etc. It can considered a flashpoint, as the player's actions can decide whether the Romans or the Saxons or the Britons end up dominating Britannia, or whether it ends up as a Christian or Celtic realm. Still hoping they have pre-empted my suggestion with this upcoming release

Meanwhile. Its worth noting that CA has made yet another blog post about upcoming historical titles, WITHOUT any concrete information about upcoming historical titles. Its getting tiresome.
    Last edited by prithupaul; July 05, 2017 at 10:32 AM.

one more interesting piece of info from reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co..._blog/djt6hne/ )

Grace_CA
    We can't confirm any pricing yet, however think more Fall of the Samurai than Total War: ATTILA

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

The setting for this is somewhat of a riddle. First they say it's a spiritual successor to TW Rome 2 like Attila, one which moves the period forward in much the same way. Stated so, it can only be the Arab Conquests but I don't believe CA has the cojones to try that. However they also say it's a period they've not spent enough time with yet. That implies it's been loosely covered before So they have done it in some way before. Must be the First Crusades? The Mongol attacks on the Middle East and Europe? I'm a bit stumped here.
    Last edited by Huberto; July 05, 2017 at 12:18 PM.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm still guessing something British unless somebody else who overthinks these things can find another similar piece of coastline.

The idea that it's built off Rome rather than Attila seems at odds with the rather germanic looking character we have who seems better suited to an Attila-based timeframe. Then again, if they count NTW a spin-off of empire, maybe they already count Attila a spin-off itself and this is a second sequel rather than a sequel's sequel. It's just semantics really so I still expect a Saxon invasion of Britain.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

If the map is the western coast of Ireland, and the map = game terrain, then based on every thing else Jack said in the interview, it's going to be the Viking invasions.
    Last edited by Huberto; July 06, 2017 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    I'm still guessing something British unless somebody else who overthinks these things can find another similar piece of coastline.

The idea that it's built off Rome rather than Attila seems at odds with the rather germanic looking character we have who seems better suited to an Attila-based timeframe. Then again, if they count NTW a spin-off of empire, maybe they already count Attila a spin-off itself and this is a second sequel rather than a sequel's sequel. It's just semantics really so I still expect a Saxon invasion of Britain.
    The concept art in the "What the teams are working on" Blog Post was for the Campaign DLC for an existing game, not the Flashpoint/Saga standalone game, which is what the more recent Blog Post was covering. I'm also thinking something British would seem to be a decent option. Plus we haven't had a Britain set campaign since Medieval 2: Kingdoms expansion.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; July 05, 2017 at 03:04 PM.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Maybe it's a remake of the Viking Invasion campaign from Medieval: Total War?
    Last edited by Benjin; July 06, 2017 at 12:55 PM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12