Thread: Best and Worst Units

Default Best and Worst Units

Its safe to assume we probably have seen all the factions and units that are to be part of Warhammer I. Its still relatively early days for me in this game (relative to 1000s of hours in other Total War games), so I would like to get some ideas on what the (more experienced members of the) community considers to be the best and worst units, considering price, utility, accessibility, ease of use, and of course power.

So far my personal favorites have been (and you will notice I have not played much with Chaos, Empire and Beastmen yet) -

1. Glade Riders - Distract, harass and slow down enemies, eliminate enemy ranged units, and eventually rear-charge the engaged enemy line. Highest kills among my Wood Elf armies.

2. Wild Riders - I find them to be the most dependable cavalry for breaking enemy infantry.

3. Quarellers - A solid ranged unit that seems to hold its own in melee, unlike the overpriced Waywatchers.

4. Black Orcs - Best power / cost ratio IMO.

5. Giants - They seem to be beat everything I send them against. Especially devastating against great blobs in choke-points.

6. Goblin Archers - Much cheaper and almost as good as the "best" high-priced Elven archers.

7. Questing Knights - One of the few heavy cavalry units that can decisively damage infantry head-on. Not sure how the recent unnecessary nerf has affected them.

8. Late-game infantry with shields (eg Grave Guards, Chaos Infantry) - Usually less costly compared to 2h units, can be trusted to hold a line long enough for hammer & anvil.

9. Varghulfs - Perfectly balanced for what they are supposed to be. Available early and at reasonable costs.

10. Ironbreakers - The defensive melee equivalent of "fire and forget" missiles. I pretty much put them in place and let them do their thing while I am free to micromanage everyone else around them. At the end, I invariably find them smoking their pipes and grooming their beards with the heaps of charred mangled enemy corpses in front.

Most useless (feel free to correct me as I may be using them wrong) -

1. Wildwood Rangers, Wardancers, late Wood Elves infantry in general - Overpriced, weak, will loose out to cheaper units as line infantry. Their value-additions i.e. speed / charge capabilities are pointless in a roster that also has Wild Riders. People will say they are weak to balance the strong archers in Wood Elves roster. But said archers are also quite expensive, compared Dwarves or Greenskins etc. Makes the late Wood Elves infantry generally not at all cost-effective. Glade Guard + Eternal Guards remain the most effective option throughout the WE campaigns.

2. Waywatchers - Much less cost-effective than other Elven archers. Melee skills are pointless as you can not depend on them hold their own for long.

3. Any top tier cavalry - Slow enough to be caught by charging infantry, unable to break infantry that cost half their upkeep without taking heavy losses after many cycle charges. They are still good for killing skirmishers and hammer & anvil charges, but cheaper cavalry units will do the same job just as good. I would rather have the two heave infantry units I get for the price of one heavy cavalry.

4. Bretonnian Infantry - Apparently they are supposed to be useless according to TT rules. So I will not complain much.

5. Slayers - Die too quickly, and Dwarves have better options for flanking.

6. Black Coach - Pointless. It's "pros" are superseded by other units in the roster.

7. Chariots - Worse than heavy cavalry, and require even more micro-management.

Limited use -

1. Hawk Riders - Only useful as a melee unit for taking down skirmishers and artillery. The extra cost for ranged skills is completely wasted. A weaker overpriced equivalent to Pegasus Knights.

2. Sisters of Thorn - I only ever use them for their magic skills. At least they dont cost amber.

3. Pegasus Knights - Slightly stronger and but same as Hawk Riders. I still consider them too costly for just taking down artillery and skirmishers. They also take too long to shatter broken units.
    Last edited by prithupaul; April 04, 2017 at 12:42 AM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Best and Worst Units

Thread moved from Total War: WARHAMMER General Discussion, to Strategy & Tactics.