Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Game of Thrones Mod for MTW

Libertus

Default A Game of Thrones Mod for MTW

Ever conscious of the needs of those strange folks who persist in playing good old fashioned MTW and having acquired an addiction to all things related to Westeros, I finally gave in and submitted to my urges towards creating a suitable mod to satisfy those dual cravings... well, no-one else seems to have risen to the challenge, so I guessed I had to do it for myself.

I can now announce a beta FULL release of A Game of Thrones mod for MTW.

Here's the cut-to-the-chase bit:

Get full v1.0 installer

Latest upgrade: v1.2 can be applied to a 1.0, 1.1 or 1.1a install (saved games not compatible)

Now for some details:

you will need a new, clean copy of MTW:VI v2.01, simply point the installer to the new directory and let it do its magic there; then repeat with the upgrade patch to get right up to v1.2.

The scenario begins with the power vacuum created by the death of Robert Baratheon, First of his Name, in 297AC.

Playable factions:

• Baratheons of Storm's End (ie Renly)
    • House Arryn
    • House Tyrell
    • House Martell
    • House Lannister
    • House Tully
    • House Greyjoy
    • House Stark
    • Baratheons of Dragonstone (ie Stannis)

The whole of the Seven Kingdoms are playable, from Dorne up to the Wall. The map has 106 provinces, and it will really help the player to be familiar with the canon, eg where the best places are to raise a fleet, where the Starks can recruit the few knights they have access to etc etc.

This is a BETA release so feedback is sought and highly desired - there are improvements in the pipeline, and a possible expansion to bring in Essos if the interest is there.

Here are a few screenshots to give a quick taster:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lannister-campaign.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	348959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-battle.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	348960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lann-army.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	348958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battle-stats.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	348956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battle-clash.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	348957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battle-rout.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	348955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battle-end.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	348954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STK_TUL_BTL.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	348952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FaithMilitant.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	348953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STK_ARMY.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	348951
    Last edited by Macsen Rufus; January 15, 2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: updating

Default Re: A Game of Thrones Mod for MTW - Beta release

Holy hell! You madman! Keep up the good work! MTW and STW are the only ones still enjoyable after such a long time!

Libertus

Thanks, HolyBob

You madman!
    I'll take that as a compliment

A little afterthought, as I forgot to post this last night, the BETA installer is missing the GameEnd sounds. The game will play ok without them, but for one faction you'll get a CTD at the point of victory without them (and other factions will get guff about Mercians and Saxons etc droning on), so this is a zip file to replace them.

Just unpack it into the main directory, or if you'd rather do it manually, drop it into a new folder, drill down and copy the AGOT folder into /Sounds/GameEnd/ This should contain 18 wavs if all is well.

I'm putting together another installer, with this and other corrections and tweaks included, but that will not be released for a while as work is ongoing.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

Libertus

Thanks for the move(s), Frunk

This is great! It deserves more attention. It's mere luck that I found this thread.

I haven't been able to test it that much, but are you planning on giving the crown lands and king landings to the "pope"? I think that would make for an interesting game. Once the factions starts fighting eachother the "pope" will ask them to cease fire, unless they are heretics etc. Looking forward to the full release!

Quote Originally Posted by Edvinsen View Post
    This is great! It deserves more attention. It's mere luck that I found this thread.
    I just found this mentioned on Steam and popped in to test it.

Thanks for making it

Libertus

Hi Edvinsen and Scrumpy,

Thanks for the interest and kind words.

Looking forward to the full release!
    Well, you won't have to wait long now. I'm just play-testing the last few tweaks before making a v1.0 installer. When it's ready I'll update this thread and request a front-page announcement, so it should be a bit more visible.

As for the Pope, no, he's not in there as I'm using the Viking scheme rather than the Medieval one.

v1.0 has a themed front-end, an extra province (Moat Caillin), more tweaks around recruitment zones, some 'rebel' amendments and various errors corrected. It will be possible to install it over the beta release, but save-games will not be compatible.

Libertus

Default A Game of Thrones Mod for MTW - v1.0 now released

Get it here

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

Wow.. I didn't even know mods were made for Med TW lol. I started the series with Med II.. I suppose now I have a reason to get the first one. Look forward to trying it out.

After wasting away most of my day playing this I thought I would take a short break and just say thank you! Amazing work, been playing House Arryn and enjoying every moment of it. Well done!

Libertus

Hey, Macrath

Glad you're enjoying it - I was just about to warn you MTW is a bit retro, but you've obviously sussed it all ok. There are some great mods for this creaky old engine, and you can go anywhere from the Bronze Age to the Napoleonic Wars. If you really get the bug check out Hellenic (the first one I tried, which got me into modding....), Napoleonic, Pike and Musket, XL, and Samurai Warlords all of which I've played and found to be great. Then there's Axalon's Redux which is next on my 'to play' list when I can find more disc space... and I might drop in a subtle mention of my Ancient series, with ATW1 (Bronze Age), ATW2 (Eastern Empires) and ATW3 (Roman Wars) if you're into ancient history.

Anyway - Arryn's a good choice for first AGoT campaign - far enough from the Ironborn to get going easily, and some nice unique units with the Vale Knights. Enjoy

Now I'm going to have to get a new machine to run MTW2 and try out the Westeros mod for that engine

I probably have a couple thousand hours on various mods for MTW2 and RomeTW and after my first impressions of MTW a bit today I can't see myself spending too much time on this engine. However if I do play it, it will be for this mod, which despite the outdated engine I would put right on par with the current Westeros mods/sub mods available for MTW2. Also if you somehow add Essos that would certainly make this the best Westeros game available and I imagine I would play this mod just aboot every single day

Is there any way to play Hotseat campaigns with MTW? A multiplayer campaign would be so great with this mod.

Also just a personal preference but I think starting with a few more buildings in each of the various settlements at the start of the campaign would make the beginning few turns flow a bit better. Currently the kingdom feels so bare and mismanaged at the start of the campaign, a couple ports here, a couple farms there etc, just something to make the kingdom you are playing as feel a bit more alive when you first begin the campaign.I understand this is a Beta and I assume u plan to iron things out so it is certainly no big deal.
    This mod alone may be responsible for a surge in MTW sales. CA should throw you a few bucks
    Last edited by Macrath; July 12, 2017 at 08:50 PM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

+rep
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Libertus

Thanks for the feedback, and reps, guys

Yeah, Essos.... maybe next winter, we'll see... Just wish there was some way to get proper flying dragons into the engine. It was way back in series one when I first saw the Unsullied that I thought "They would be easy to mod from a hoplite..." and so another mod was born

About more built-up starting provinces - yup, it is a personal choice, but it wouldn't be too hard to make a second startpos file for those who want to begin with a more developed realm. Personally, I like to build up from nothing (well, maybe a mud hut, two peasants with pointy sticks, and a three-legged donkey) probably because I started gaming back in the days of Warcraft1, Age of Empires etc, but I can see that's not to everyone's taste.

As for your question on multiplayer - I don't know, I've never been into MP, so you'd have to find someone else to give you the low-down on that side of things.

Yeah generally in Total War games my preferred start are the factions that start with the least, like 1 small settlement and a weak army, but only if that fits the play style. For example it would be weird to start a campaign in Rome TW set during a time where Rome was at its most powerful yet the only settlement that was developed at all on turn 1 was Rome itself. It just wouldn't make sense.

Growing the nation from the ground up is always the most fun for me. However being set in Westeros it would just make sense that the kingdoms were at least a little lived in. I mean currently it seems like every settlement other then the capital was just founded the day before I started turn 1. Key settlements are just shacks that need to be built from nothing as if they have never been of any importance to that faction, I personally think it would fit the setting much more if the settlements were represented as they would be during the time period this is set in. I mean am I playing as an established long lasting Kingdom with a rich history and important lands? Or a civilisation just starting out from nothing yet somehow controls vast territories of land with almost no military force or resource production to speak of?
    Last edited by Macrath; July 13, 2017 at 10:06 AM.

Libertus

Yep, you make a good case for more development at the start - and that gives me the excuse to get around to it

Off the top of my head, the most developed are the faction capitals, plus King's Landing, Oldtown and maybe White Harbour, Some wester provinces have gold mines to start with, and a few castles are above the fort level for 'historical' reasons (Harrenhal and maybe Moat Cailin, iirc). Nice to get some feedback, this is exactly why I needed it, cheers

If anyone else has anything else bugging them, please chip in and I'll draw up a list for the v1.1 patch....

Still playing MTW:XL MOD, and I think I will be making a switch this afternoon!

Can't wait!!!

THE P-MAN
    Chuck Norris can make a paraplegic run for his life.

Nizam's Avatar Ordinarius

I can't believe it. Awesome mate. I will try it, M1 is still on my PC

Btw how you change map? Is there a tutorial about it?

Ottoman Total Overhaul received the 2nd favorite Overhaul/Compilation Mod - 2016 award!
    by_TotalWarTurkiye

Libertus

Welcome, P-Man & Nizam

Don't forget to make a fresh clean copy of MTW:VI 2.01 if you want to hold on to your original and/or your current mods.

Map-making is quite an involved process - there's a few tutorials and discussions over at the Org where I spent most of my TW life, and there's probably some here at TWC, but I don't know my way round the archives so well on this end of teh web... You need to gather a few tools together (see here for a big collection) and then decide whether you want to try the 'automatic' route via the LMM utility, or go freestyle.... to be honest, you have to do so much prep to use LMM I've found it easier to do the AGoT map by hand (well, start in Photoshop, then convert to LBM format with ProMotion). There's also a few look-up maps (in BIF format) you need to make at the same time, including the one for the top corner of the campaign screen and the one for the front end faction selection screens etc. The hard work lies in getting the colour indexing right (but I've included importable palettes for these in the tools package).

Once the maps are drawn, then I make a HUUUGE spreadsheet to set up neighbours, borders, ports, castles and origins for the startpos file and all the translations needed for names etc.

Getting a new map to work probably takes longer than setting it up, as it's easy to miss some tiny little detail that can cause CTDs or simple failure to load, with very few clues for debugging.... as with all things mod-wise it's best to start small as a learning exercise - maybe make a small map-mod where you simply add a new province to a map you know is working, and get some debugging practice under your belt. That's how I got started on maps - first made some changes to the XL map for my original Ancient mod, then some province changes and additions on the VI for Britannia 43AD, then a more extensive alteration for Punic Wars and iirc my first complete new map from scratch was for the Alexander campaign (Eastern Empires), another for the Roman Civil War, and now Westeros.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast