Thread: Losing army in minor settlements

Semisalis

Default Losing army in minor settlements

I just had a very frustrating experience. I had my army garrisoned in a minor
    settlement with no walls. I was attacked and lost the battle with not many losses due to routing. Problem
    was i then lost the whole army due to being in a settlement. This was annoying as I didn't get any advantage freon being in the settlement (walls or garrison) but I got all the risk.

So what is the best approach? Encamp outside the settlement? does this effect any public order or income benefits from my lord?

thanks
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

Default Re: Losing army in minor settlements

Depends- usually I encamp non-Legendary Lords outside the settlement if there are any threatening armies nearby and usually lead invasions with LLs just due to this total loss of army in settlements. You do get less public order not garrisoning the settlement but 1-2 turns of higher public order is usually worth it to avoid potential loss of Lord. Of course there alternative is having an LL and 1-2 units in garrison just to make the attacking army suffer more losses and then have a 2nd army come the next turn to beat the now weakened enemy. Sure you get a sacked or razed settlement but sometimes that is the best outcome.

Also this is another reason walls are so important- I think there should be automatic escape feature for level 3 settlements that a garrison army Lord has a chance to escape a lost battle but otherwise it seems ok result when there are walls. Having no walls is just punishment for very low return in Warhammer as it currently stands.

Semisalis

Thanks
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

I always rush level 3 settlements and then walls so that you have 2-3 turns untill you react. No matter where you are you ALWAYS need walls. It sucks but it is essential. Other than that it depends on what stage of the campaign you are at. For example when yhe vampires decide to vomit 50 stacks of undead out of sylvania for no reason i send 2 stacks outside wurtbad (stirland being my ally). So i get 2 stacks+garisson. If they overcome that then i rely on walls and karl franz with his lightning strike to take them down one at a time. But its usually a pretty crappy situation to find yourself in. Try and avoid it.