Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Putin's views on global emergencies?

Default Re: Putin's views on global emergencies?

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    It's already public and Russian scientists have been talking about the methane problem at length, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. And from what I've read, the worry isn't about people dying, but methane's impact on global warming. Methane gas contributes significantly more than CO2 to the greenhouse effect. Like I said before though, this merely means more accessible resources to Russia, and maybe a nicer Spring in Kamchatka.
    Yeah no, you may as well say that comet falling on earth is just more fresh water on us, you just said yourself that it contributes a lot to the greenhouse affect and it is very noticeable when two of your biggest cities are in the northern hemisphere.

Quote Originally Posted by VM_Mort View Post
    Yeah no, you may as well say that comet falling on earth is just more fresh water on us, you just said yourself that it contributes a lot to the greenhouse affect and it is very noticeable when two of your biggest cities are in the northern hemisphere.
    Except that a comet striking Earth and a gradual increase in the water level are two completely different things. A gradual rise in global temperature can be a contributing factor to death, not the primary cause. In addition to that what you said was,

"the increase of the temperature is a huge issue for Russia because there are millions of tons of gas trapped beneath the frozen wasteland in the middle of the country, they invest A LOT of money into issue because if thy don't every one will die, they don't make it public so people don't panic."

We will certainly not die from extra temperature, climate change is bad because it has massive aggregate effects on global society. As far as Russia is concerned, it stands to gain the most from climate change.

We will certainly not die from extra temperature, climate change is bad because it has massive aggregate effects on global society. As far as Russia is concerned, it stands to gain the most from climate change.

If we're all dead in 100 years, nobody gains. Why promote Russia today, if you're not willing to gaze into the future? All these politicians might as well sit on their hands if they believe climate change is a hoax or anyone can possibly gain from rising temperatures. Right?

And just about a month ago I heard scientists invented something to not only turn CO2 gas into ethanol and use it for energy, but how also to remove most if not all CO2 gas from the upper atmosphere. And then the ozone layer would naturally heal itself.
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

Quote Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
    If we're all dead in 100 years, nobody gains. Why promote Russia today, if you're not willing to gaze into the future? All these politicians might as well sit on their hands if they believe climate change is a hoax or anyone can possibly gain from rising temperatures. Right?
    Global warming doesn't mean we're all dead. Global warming means that growing food is more difficult in certain areas of the world and that water supplies will become scarce for certain regions. It means PH levels will kill off biodiversity in the seas. Climate change is real and its going to create new difficulties for the human race, its inevitable. If things are more difficult to do then more energy is needed, and who has the world's biggest energy supplies?

And just about a month ago I heard scientists invented something to not only turn CO2 gas into ethanol and use it for energy, but how also to remove most if not all CO2 gas from the upper atmosphere. And then the ozone layer would naturally heal itself.
    We hear like this all the time. I've been following battery technology for forever and its literally dead in the water. The leading expert for batteries at the moment is arguably Tesla, and the energy density of their batteries is still extremely low... and by that I mean it's magnitudes lower than Gas. I think I've read an article say that Gas is up to 85 times more energy dense than a lithium ion battery. Batteries are actually an extremely fast-growing business, and many tech giants, like Samsung and Apple have already invested many billions into it. I expect to see a breakthrough, but that's the gap you have to close. 85 times. And you know Tesla's Gigafactory in Nevada? Model 3's batteries are expected to be 30% more dense than the current one in Model S. That by the way, came out in 2012. Battery technology developments are like graphite. It can do anything except leave the lab.

Global warming doesn't mean we're all dead. Global warming means that growing food is more difficult in certain areas of the world and that water supplies will become scarce for certain regions. It means PH levels will kill off biodiversity in the seas. Climate change is real and its going to create new difficulties for the human race, its inevitable. If things are more difficult to do then more energy is needed, and who has the world's biggest energy supplies?

With higher populations, the need for clean water and more food increase. Plus we have to factor in the "uncooperative factor". In other words, nations we are at war with aren't exactly going to listen to anything we have to say, including clean energy suggestions lol.

We hear like this all the time. I've been following battery technology for forever and its literally dead in the water. The leading expert for batteries at the moment is arguably Tesla, and the energy density of their batteries is still extremely low... and by that I mean it's magnitudes lower than Gas. I think I've read an article say that Gas is up to 85 times more energy dense than a lithium ion battery. Batteries are actually an extremely fast-growing business, and many tech giants, like Samsung and Apple have already invested many billions into it. I expect to see a breakthrough, but that's the gap you have to close. 85 times. And you know Tesla's Gigafactory in Nevada? Model 3's batteries are expected to be 30% more dense than the current one in Model S. That by the way, came out in 2012. Battery technology developments are like graphite. It can do anything except leave the lab.

Damn I was almost happy for a second lolz. Hey, invest in batteries. It will drive the cars of the future, and obviously it is mostly safe unlike gasoline. If you meant gas that heats a home, I'm not sure what is being tested as far as a clean substitute??

Edit

I remember that natural gas is mostly clean. The worst polluters are coal and anything made from petroleum.
    Last edited by Gaul; April 22, 2017 at 07:46 PM.

With higher populations, the need for clean water and more food increase. Plus we have to factor in the "uncooperative factor". In other words, nations we are at war with aren't exactly going to listen to anything we have to say, including clean energy suggestions lol.
    Yeah, but those things aren't world ending like say, a meteor strike. They are "soft" factors. Biggest issues will still be distribution of food and water, rather than its production. Biggest hurdles are really energy production and storage. Once those things are solved, economics will be at play rather than science. So I'm not really worried about survival of the human race, the amount of suffering will increase, but... I mean that's just a fact of life either way. In nominal, rather than percentage terms, there's probably far more violence today than pre-modern history simply because there are 6 billion humans rather than 100 million.

Damn I was almost happy for a second lolz. Hey, invest in batteries. It will drive the cars of the future, and obviously it is mostly safe unlike gasoline. If you meant gas that heats a home, I'm not sure what is being tested as far as a clean substitute??
    By Gas I was talking about Petroleum gasoline, the stuff that cars use to drive around. Their energy density if far greater than the energy density of lithium-ion batteries. Honestly, the batteries really only need to be 30-40% as efficient as Gas to be a viable alternative. Lithium-Ion batteries are also not that "safe" so to say. They are definitely combustible. Battery technology is still in it's infancy. I look forward to when we actually solve that particular problem.

Why? So my goddamn iPhone can last for more than 2 days on a single charge.

I hear ya brotha. What can a decent man do to get some honest to god battery life from one's phone? An hour of facebook in the morning and two phone calls and my batteries 50% depleted right there.

climate change? I don't think Putin minds actually! Russia being to a large extent frozen wasteland, earth getting warmer isn't exactly a bad thing. And Putin is probably not very keen on countries moving away from oil and gas, that being the main exports and all. Putin would probably rather sell more oil and quicken the climate change, than do anything to stop it. Not only are there oil and gas in nothern russia that would be easier to access, if the arctic unfreezes it will serve as a major international trade lane and that's obviously good for russia if they can control it (and they have most military in arctic region than any other country). there's also energy in arctic that russia would claim. and probably, russia would benefit agriculturally from not being so cold. Maybe russia would lose something by climate change, but relative to other countries russia would manage just fine i think. being the biggest countries in the world with a short (inhabited) coastline, i don't think he minds rising water levels.

Again, and Sukiyama I kindly accept your input, but I still stand there has to be something LEFT to see Russian advancement 100 years from now. If he hates America and NATO so much, what's the fun surpassing them if they're not around in 100 years to see it? And nuking us (I live in the USA) not only would set off international alarm bells, but nuking us (again stated) means there's no Americans around 100 years from now to see us outdodged by mighty Russia. And one last thing, killing millions of people will not let Putin sleep easier at night, but in fact the guilt in his retirement years will haunt him. Why did I do it? People are people.

I don't think Russia will ever surpass United States. The best thing for Russian people, would be slow integration with Europe. I know the current sentiment among many Europeans is that the EU project has failed them, but I still hold out hope. Moreover, I have hopes that Russia may one day join EU and NATO as a key ally to counterbalance both America and China.

And putty poo would shed a little tear in his retirement years if he knew he did the right thing, at the right time, right when it mattered. Why did I do it? So future generations of earthlings can love what I loved, live how I lived, enjoy what I enjoyed, laugh how I laughed, forever and ever. And so in my retirement years as I beg for god's forgiveness.... I know I have god's forgiveness.
    Last edited by Gaul; May 15, 2017 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromikaites View Post
    Russia is just a gas station with a grotesquely oversized military structure on its roof.

Inside the gas station one can find a tiny group of people stealing anything that isn't bolted down and taking the loot overseas and a large not-quite-sober population who, on the male side, enjoy the recent decriminalization of domestic violence. When that merry crowd manages of get out of the bottle that is. And of course catch the wives (though on many occasions they don't need to find the way out of their bottles to do that 'cause their wives and the rest of their families live inside as well).

Under such happy circumstances the only way Putin can [barely] keep things on the high side of the brink (and those overseas bank accounts stuffed) is to pump as much fossil fuel as possible out of Mother Russia's ground. So what do you recon his stance on global warming would be?
    Its interesting how people would be characterized as racist for speaking in this way about any other cultural group.

Kinda funny that slavophobia is socially acceptable despite Hitlers genocides in Eastern Europe but the Holocaust forever condemns anti-semitism to an absolute evil.

So true. And digging up Hitty is always fine because to them everything today that is wrong with the world is Hitty's fault.

Disregarding the feelings of a two millennia old culture. "its ok, take another jab at the germans. This is what we need to remember to create the politics of the year 2017"

Sorry for the bump but I'd also like to use this thread for a little future predicting. With a "no USA" world, seeing that the USA is vulnerable to essential melt down to say the least, can Russia and China survive? Can they survive on their own or together? I would have to say no. Sure, Reagan took out the USSR and everyone seemed "fine", but this is NOT the 1980s. This is a world ravaged by economic recession, instability of all forms, and division. So I ask, if the USA is "taken out" will there even be a future ahead for Russia and China to celebrate? I would have to say no. I don't think militarily or economically China and Russia have the strength to take on future problems. We need them as much as they need us to secure the forever existence of happy little earthlings, loving life.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

The best thing for Russian people, would be slow integration with Europe.
    Russia is just tsundere to West since 18th Century, it just feels too embarrassed to admit it desperately want West to ride it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

I don't think Russia will ever surpass United States. The best thing for Russian people, would be slow integration with Europe. I know the current sentiment among many Europeans is that the EU project has failed them, but I still hold out hope. Moreover, I have hopes that Russia may one day join EU and NATO as a key ally to counterbalance both America and China.
    Russia will never surpass anything or anyone again. Their demographics are utter , and demographics is destiny and future. If Russia even manages to stay together as a country, it will be a muslim dominated, barely industrialised country suffering from aids and alcoholism. Pretty similar to what it is now except that ethnic russians are still majority, for now. That will change soon though, because of birth rates and immigration. Probably outcome is that muslim majority regions break out from russia - so goodbye to tatarstan and caucasus. Remainder of russia will still have many muslims due to immigration, and will eventually be muslim majority also, and it's not really russia anymore if it's muslim majority. This is the reason Putin is trying to gather up all russians to russia, so he can keep the country russian. Might work, if can conquer enough land, get russians to re-migrate back to the motherland, and raise the birthrate. He's trying hard, but in best case scenario russia would still be poor anyways, even if more ethnically stable. I think he's just delaying the inevitable: russia will descend into seperatist chaos.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 02, 2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Censor bypassing.

Most of the world still trades with the US dollar, which is exactly that. "taking out" the USA and exterminating the US dollar would lead to global chaos. As far as markets, international banks and most trading. We would literally be living in our back yards hunting squirrels for food. The American dollar is too prevalent to get rid of, for better or worse. All this being said that yesterday I read Russia and China want to combine their two currencies for market upheaval.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by NosPortatArma View Post
    Russia will never surpass anything or anyone again. Their demographics are utter , and demographics is destiny and future. If Russia even manages to stay together as a country, it will be a muslim dominated, barely industrialised country suffering from aids and alcoholism. Pretty similar to what it is now except that ethnic russians are still majority, for now. That will change soon though, because of birth rates and immigration. Probably outcome is that muslim majority regions break out from russia - so goodbye to tatarstan and caucasus. Remainder of russia will still have many muslims due to immigration, and will eventually be muslim majority also, and it's not really russia anymore if it's muslim majority. This is the reason Putin is trying to gather up all russians to russia, so he can keep the country russian. Might work, if can conquer enough land, get russians to re-migrate back to the motherland, and raise the birthrate. He's trying hard, but in best case scenario russia would still be poor anyways, even if more ethnically stable. I think he's just delaying the inevitable: russia will descend into seperatist chaos.
    Russia has all of the needed ingrediants to be both a great power and wealthy within its own borders. I do not think the same homogeneity of the 19th century will work today though. Not just in Russia, China, or the USA. It simply is not the formula for success for large integrated nations today. Empires historically collapse when the competing ethnicities and cultures rise and fall. The key today is to allow more to flourish together. Putin has his hands full -- much of what you said about uniting the Russians together is probably one of Putin's short-term goals. Uniting the muslin as well as other minorities into a greater Russia needs to be a goal as well. I do not know if this is within the Putin world view or not, but it needs to be considered.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Most of the world still trades with the US dollar, which is exactly that. "taking out" the USA and exterminating the US dollar would lead to global chaos. As far as markets, international banks and most trading. We would literally be living in our back yards hunting squirrels for food. The American dollar is too prevalent to get rid of, for better or worse. All this being said that yesterday I read Russia and China want to combine their two currencies for market upheaval.
    Bitcoin is where its at; 1 BTC currently worth about 7500 USD. I think in 20 years this (or similar currencies), is what the world will be trading in; totally bypassing the need to use banks. I can trade from my PC with another user from his PC; never having to deal with a bank. International banks and the USD and other similar world currencies are fast becoming obsolete with the fast technological changes; there are presently already millions of bitcoin users around the world.

I had an debate with the local school about how they are teaching our kids obsolete crap to prepare them for jobs/careers that wont exist by the time they are old enough to get jobs/careers...scripting/coding will be the international languages of the future along with maybe English/Spanish but anyways I am diverging here...but the world is changing...this crap you post is old school; Economic 101 where we learn how to balance debits and credits is fast becoming obsolete; our children don't need to know that crap.

Bitcoin is incapable of being the world's currency. It would return us to the gold standard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast