Thread: Pirates

Icon8 Pirates

Is it just me, or are pirates in vanilla RTW way too powerful? I understand that they should pose some sort of threat to the player, but their standard ship has more men than a bireme, and they regularly spawn in large packs with mutliple chevrons of experience for each ship. This allows them to destroy entire faction navies with barely any casualties, which I find to be somewhat annoying and unrealistic. Is there any way that I can mod the game to make pirates less powerful?

Default Re: Pirates

Build a big port and make big ships. Pretty simple solution to that problem.

I think it's accurate enough. Piracy was a huge problem in the ancient Mediterranean, and they did have big fleets. Pompey had to wage an enormous campaign spanning the breadth of the Mediterranean to even put a dent in the pirate problem. Caesar himself was taken captive by pirates once. So, it's not unrealistic that pirates in the game would pose a challenge. I'd leave it as it is. All you need to do, as the above poster said, is build some fleets to deal with them.

Point taken. How large of a fleet do you think I should make?

I generally put a minimum of six ships in a fleet. I find that's usually sufficient to defeat most enemies at sea. Triremes are my favorite, not as expensive or time-consuming as quinqueremes, and stronger than biremes. I think sometimes the pirates have bigger fleets, though, so you'll need more in those circumstances.

The main thing is that you need more ships in your fleet than there are in the pirate fleet you're engaging, because pirate ships are tougher than most ordinary ships. If you're playing a barbarian faction like Gaul, you may need larger fleets still, as barbarian ships are weaker and have a harder time with pirates.

It also helps if your ships have been trained at a city that has an armorer, toughening them up.

Ok. I've been rolling with one trireme and two biemes to a fleet. I'm playing as the Scipii though, so I should be able to recreuit juiced-up ships pretty soon (I think the Scipii are the only faction that get a unique naval unit).

In RTW pirates don't actually do any piracy do they? The brigands actually hurt your economy but the pirates just wander around killing ships at best, wasting your movement points at worst.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

They also blockade ports and cut off naval trade routes, which can be a major nuisance.

Is it possible to create the historically accurate solution Romans came up with to defeat pirates - i.e. if you can't defeat them on sea, take over all the land around the sea and they'll have nowhere left to go and die?
    Last edited by General Maximus; September 23, 2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Quote Originally Posted by LordLurch View Post
    Ok. I've been rolling with one trireme and two biemes to a fleet. I'm playing as the Scipii though, so I should be able to recreuit juiced-up ships pretty soon (I think the Scipii are the only faction that get a unique naval unit).
    Yes, the Scipii are the only faction with a unique ship - it is very powerful, they get it from their temple of Neptune - that only they have access to by default.

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    They also blockade ports and cut off naval trade routes, which can be a major nuisance.

Is it possible to create the historically accurate solution Romans came up with to defeat pirates - i.e. if you can't defeat them on sea, take over all the land around the sea and they'll have nowhere left to go and die?
    I don't think that this is possible, pirates and rebels are automatically created in the game, I believe this is hard-coded and can't be changed.
    If a faction is defeated, it's ships turn into pirates.

-
    G. Ward

"Is it just me, or are pirates in vanilla RTW way too powerful?"

yes - they're a big factor in messing up AI naval landings as the AI doesn't keep its fleets safely in port until they're ready so they get sunk.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolai1962 View Post
    "Is it just me, or are pirates in vanilla RTW way too powerful?"

yes - they're a big factor in messing up AI naval landings as the AI doesn't keep its fleets safely in port until they're ready so they get sunk.
    I think that's not so much a problem with pirates as it is a problem with the AI nations stupidly mismanaging their ships. So it's not that pirates are overpowered, but that the AI is dumb and makes it easier for pirates to do what they do.

The rebels (pirates included) are just meant to be annoying, and tbh, I like them that way.