Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls Discussion Thread

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: Total War

I have a different problem. I play on medium, have now played as three factions and always the same outcome: Oblivion Hordes never end and appear unbeatable.

Played as Daggerfall, got on pretty well, conquered all of Highrock, defeated the Oblivin armies that spawned in my territory at great cost, continued expanding and some 40 rounds later started wondering why there were more and more Daedra armies swarming in. Managed to defeat quite a few, city defense being the only viable option but finally got sick of it and exchanged map info with them. They had conquered almost the entire empire, all of skyrim, most of hammerfall, elsweyr and valenwood and were making headway into morrowind and Black Marsh. Only lands untouched were my own - though I was being pushed back - and Summerset Isles. The other two games with other factions pretty much the same. I manage to slow their advance but they conquer everyone else and my doom is only avoidable if I evacuate to an island.

With Daggerfall I could make them bleed, possibly for a hundred or even two-hundred rounds but in the end I will always be doomed or sit in some island while Oblivion dominates Tamriel mainland. Haven't seen them build ships yet but if they can then it seems they will always win :-/

Anything I'm doing wrong here?

Never mind, I just went through the thread, found that new patch. Looks like it helps with a few other problems I've been having too ^^

Thanks for a great mod

As soon as I found out about this mod (which would be today), I decided to give it a go. I'll point out the thing I like and dislike. I don't know if this mod is still developing or not but I hope it is.

Like:
    - Really good map
    - Related quotes
    - Overall unit design
    - Overall feeling that you're really in Tamriel
    Dislike:
    - Most of the factions have very limited roster. Thus playing with Dominion or Orsinium is quite boring because you get the same units all the way
    - Some recruitment costs make no sense. Psijic Monks are 15k per unit while Dominium Cavalry is 90. While I can agree with magic units being expensive, a cavalry cheaper than a peasants is bad.
    - Awful Imperial City map. Literally no pathfinding there, very crowded and looks more like a slums rather than a capital. I know this is no Third Age mod but look how epic Minas Tirith is. And because walls are actually buildings, you can't even use siege equipment. Plus this map is used on a few occasions, so you can 'enjoy' Imperial City in, let's say, Valenwood.
    - Limited pool of names. Not a huge deal, but getting 3 Ancano generals is confusing
    - Assassin's Creed music doesn't really fit in the battle theme

I would love to see more units and better custom settlements. Besides that, I really like the mod and hope it will get better.

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

This is a really nice and well made mod. My only disappointment is that you can't seem to upgrade settlements once you reach the required population. So you are pretty limited in what you can build in a lot of places, and there's no point whatsoever in population growth

I really like this mod but I have a bit of a suggestion that may have been brought up before:

Instead of having the Tamrielic Empire faction as a single large entity, what if it was split into the various counties that start as vassals to a smaller Empire faction? The counties would start with their capital plus a fort or two in their control or villages. The Empire would be smaller than in the current version but larger than any single county and control the Imperial City plus several forts and villages. This way the game can be a little more varied with more factions but the counties and the Empire can share unit rosters except for a few unique units each. It also makes a pure Empire game easier in the sense that you don't have to battle managing a large number of settlements at the start of the game, but also have the difficulty of maintaining alliances and expanding with a small resource base. I got this idea from the Crusader Kings 2 Elder Scrolls mod. I think it would be cool because the biggest deterrent, to me, for an Empire campaign is having to start off with managing such a large number of settlements from the onset. It would also keep the fantasy Romans feel of the Empire and also the fantasy medieval kingdom feel the counties of Cyrodiil had in Oblivion.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hekk View Post
    This is a really nice and well made mod. My only disappointment is that you can't seem to upgrade settlements once you reach the required population. So you are pretty limited in what you can build in a lot of places, and there's no point whatsoever in population growth
    I totally agree it makes me said no settlements upgrade.
    I think it is a script that doesn't allow upgrading as the buildings are there in the files and the factions should be able to build them, but just can't.

I want to make a submod (for both myself and anyone else who enjoys the mod) that overhauls the stats of the units. Changing numbers, traits, skills, ect. But I looked into the files and the unit names are hard to properly figure out which units are which, due to the shortened versions. Is there a file that shows the full names of the simplifications? Or can someone PM me the unit list translated into proper names?

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

I think export_descr_unit is fine. With some units its not so easy to find out which one is it but it can be easily tested.

Also, have you tried my patch ( or carnage´s patch), units in both patches are rebalanced

Foederatus

Hi, I installed this mod again after quite some time and I was wondering why there is only 1 campaign availiable now? I remember I could choose between 4 different ones before.

Just found it now, thanks! Also your right, its a bit weird at times but I'll just test as I go.

Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by twyhein View Post
    Hi, I installed this mod again after quite some time and I was wondering why there is only 1 campaign availiable now? I remember I could choose between 4 different ones before.
    Well, you probably have to also to install my submod. Its somewhere around page 20 I think

InfernoZola's Avatar Foederatus

Hello you wonderful people- ah, why sugarcoat it.

Anyone know how to fix the whole religion thing? I've been trying, as in editing churches to Argonian build lists that upgrade Hist Worship conversion, but I can't get them to work. It has utterly ruined the mod for me because I can't convert other regions and thus am just getting hit with riots from here to Timbuktu. There is NO reason there shouldn't be priests for each religion.

And for the record, I did install Jedli's patch, didn't do anything ingame, even after I restarted. I checked the files and the necessary changes are there.

Any ideas, folks?

A part of the last post.

I cannot upgrade villages, either.

Joy to the world, nothing has come.

Gaming Emeritus

You havent installed it properly. Try to reinstall

1 hour download for the original mod patch 1.0.

Internet pls. At least it isn't the 5 days some people earlier on were getting.

Anyhow, does the patch add priests and whatnot? I don't give two flying monkeys about the rest of the issues, as long as villages are upgradeable and priests/churches for every religion are there, then I'm good.

Heyo, Tasunke reporting in. I've done some modding before, particularly in Civ4, and would like to help out if I can. Will play around with the TGA files tonight and let u know if I have anything to contribute. My resume's "specialty" is in assymetrical balancing, where, instead of having each race have the best kind of mage and the best kind of fighter, to instead try to tweak upkeep, strengths, abilities etc for each faction's troops to make them lore friendly and unique. I plan on creating a patch (or modmod) for Jadli's patch, although I would like to try out Carnage's patch as well to see what that is on about, does anyone still have his patch?

This is my first post on Total War forums, and I just stumbled upon this mod a few days ago after starting a new Modded Morrowind campaign ... nice to meet all of you!

** On total war I suppose I should place my cred there as well, while I haven't used the total war forums before, I started with Rome: Total war, and went on to play Medieval (fun classic), Medieval II, Shogun II, Empire, and Napoleon. I've always been partial to Rome and Medieval II, and while I really like Shogun II in some aspects, its lack of scale makes it not nearly as awe inspiring as Rome or Medieval II .... Empire and Napoleon were mainly for research purposes, but had some fun along the way ... and I think there was another game that started with R but I wiped it from my memory .... (still waiting for a proper sequel for Rome )

Other than some small workshop mods for Shogun II, this has been my first truly 'total conversion' mod for a Total War game to play, or contribute to, and I find it to quickly becoming my favorite mod of all time .... I also am looking forward to perhaps around Christmas try one of those really good "extra content" mods for Rome:TW, after I've satisfied myself with all things fantastical with this mod .... though my goal is to occasionally release versions of my patch as I corner the unit balance of new factions .... my first faction to rebalance is the Argonians, wish me luck!

I shall. The faction I'm playing is the Argonians.

One thing I noticed was the Heavy Swordsmen being counted as Light Infantry, they also can't run. Just pointing some odd stuff out.

Also, I encountered a graphical glitch that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It happens when I enter a fight. A large chunk of what appears to be UI appears in the top right hand corner of the screen. It blocks a good portion of it, around a fifth, and is clickable. It does nothing.

Not gamebreaking or scary like no priests or a crash, but just annoying. Any ideas? (I am NOT reinstalling for the fifth time. Had to do it multiple times before when I was fidgeting with the files to get them tp change and give me priests.)

Gaming Emeritus

Glad to see you here Tasunke

My mod is more about minor balancing and adding custom scenarios. I think carnage´s submod might be closer to what do you seek as he has added some new units and things like that.

Links to all patches

My patch
    Carnages patch
    ARGH´s map improvement
    Hegemony mod
    Dragon Break