Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls Discussion Thread

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: Total War

I wanted to congratulate you guys on this fantastic mod. I am absolutely in love with the detailed map, the lore, the factions and their rosters.
    2 things I'd suggest for a patch or fix: You should make the most elite mages (for example Breton Magisters or ascended sleepers) much more rare to get. I don't think their overpowered, they're master mages after all. I would just suggest for example a unit cap of them or only make them available to recruit every 25 turns. Otherwise they're just too dominating on the battlefield.
    Now a few bugs: it's not possible to upgrade many settlements, which is especially annoying for small villages where you can't build anything but need a garrison because of the different religion. Since there are no priests there's no way to solve that.
    Some units (like Skaal or reachmen) don't have an own picture. Every ship doesn't have a name ('unlocalised placement text')
    The Thane Unit of Skyrim is not textured (they appear all in silver)
    And of course not a bug but still th the obvious grammar mistakes. I'm not a native speaker but I'd still like to try to change that. Can someone tell me how to? I think I need to convert the .bin files into .txt files don't I?

I've only played about 20ish turns or so due to work and my YouTube content blah blah blah. Anyways I'm enjoying myself so far, playing as the Aldmeri Dominion. Only thing I have to comment on so far is that you might want to customize the mission rewards a bit, I got a mission to take a rebel settlement and would be rewarded with "one of the best units available" and was rewarded with FOUR Psijics. GG economy lol. I had to leave it there but I'll probably disband 3 of them since it brought my economy from 11k profits to 400 loss. That mission should only get me 1 Psijic. I'd like to see custom voices if you could get someone skilled to do some voice acting

The above image links to the Youtube playlist of this series!

This mod has alot of work put into it, especially with the art and such, and I am not at all unappreciative of the team's work, but I've honestly spent more time balancing the game rather than playing it. Unit values are off (shieldless units having shield defense, armored skirmishers with no defense values, and the doomsoldiers of Oblivion), recruitment tables are abysmal and unbalanced between factions (Aldmeri can train almost all of their soldiers anywhere but Morrowind factions can't train outside Morrowind, Hammerfell in Hammerfell, etc.) and faction balancing, especially regarding income is poor. Great mod, but some serious work needs to be put into balancing. I'm considering releasing all of my changes as a sort of balancing submod to make the game more enjoyable.

Great game, but good lord alot of things need tweaking to make the campaign enjoyable.

Wow sounds like you really rolled up your sleeves and got to it. Though you might have better luck contacting the Devs through ModDB if you really want to give advice.

I'd definitely be down for seeing what you've done.

I'll post them soon enough once I'm finished with all the factions. College schedule has my time spotty at best so it might be a bit.

As for reaching the devs, they'll eventually realize that this is the best platform to get feedback on the mod. Hopefully they can get their own sub-forum soon.

Vythodias's Avatar Libertus
    Northern Catskill Mountains; upstate New York

Greetings all,

Amazing mod, wonderfully done. Many an hour invested in it already. My two favourite games have always been the Total War games and Elderscrolls series, and I've played both for ages, so naturally this is like crack to me. Thank you so much for making it and sharing it with the world! Now sure there are some minor niggles and quibbles, but these passing details pale into relative insignificance when considering what's been accomplished. Regarding some of the people who are whining about some of the units (mages, etc.) being overpowered - manipulating the descr_unit file is straight forward enough, so this is very easy to customize to taste, so to speak.

With that being said, I am now on turn 35 or thereabouts and I have profoundly mixed feelings, because I identify as a Nord and with the Nordic culture in general, but I'm also incredibly loyal to the Empire. Like, ferociously so. ("Nords have never been fair-weather friends", afterall) So... I tried to do a silly thing. I tried to add Imperial captains with every Nordic regiment, and I thought I successfully did it too; at least, I think I came close. I attempted this by simply copy and pasting the officer value from the Imperial faction, into the Skyrim faction; seemed pretty straight-forward to me.

It isn't. Oh, my dear God, it is not. It is complicated! Serious coding is required apparently. Ref:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...r-new-factions

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-more-readable

It requires a level of understanding that I just don't seem to have. I looked long and hard at the battle_models.modeldb file and after a while (and a stiff drink) I began to see a discernible pattern but, I fear that I'm just not savvy enough to figure out how to alter that file. Not in such a way that doesn't risk contaminating the core modeldb file and inevitably corrupting the entire Mod as a result. So, to recap... I have Imperial Captains (Which is awesome! And, anyone who says otherwise is a filthy Stormcloak traitor) on the field, leading Nordic regiments, but they naturally render on the Battle Map with no textures - just the ghostly silver-surfer thing. Which, I don't need to tell anyone, that's kind of a mood-killer.

In conclusion - is there any brave soul... any kind fellow traveler... any bored genius, that would be knowledgeable, hospitable and accommodating enough to help me with this? I would be immeasurably grateful. Any thoughts or insight would also be welcome. Unless you're a Stormcloak, in which case I'd rather be forced to eat my own testicles then receive help from an ignorant-traitorous-bigot. (Half-joking)
    Last edited by Vythodias; September 02, 2015 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typo
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage752 View Post
    I'll post them soon enough once I'm finished with all the factions. College schedule has my time spotty at best so it might be a bit.

As for reaching the devs, they'll eventually realize that this is the best platform to get feedback on the mod. Hopefully they can get their own sub-forum soon.
    I don't know about that. DaedraWarrior hasn't been online since July and he seems to be the only public face that was on TWC.

@Carnage752 I'd really enjoy your fixes. If you find a way to make villages upgradeable too id be reaaly thankful, stupid religion in villages is so annoying jeez.

Posted my fixes on a separate thread. Enjoy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...9#post14678779

Is it at all possible that someone would share with me their copy of the battle_models.modeldb file, (for this Mod) as I seem to have butchered mine without making a backup. I know, I'm an idiot.

Thanks ever so much Jadli! You're a life saver.

I didn't want to have to reinstall from scratch just because I failed to make a back-up copy. (not a mistake I'm going to make again) Gigantus is attempting to teach me how to manipulate this file - I say attempt - because learning to read it, has been slow going and very challenging.

I owe you one.

Realistically Dremora have always been over powered, their armour is super-tank quality. What you can do however is go into the descr_units and remove their free_upkeep value. Should make most of their armies Mythic Dawn and lighter Dremora.

I've also made some changes to the Campaign Script, Descr_buildings and factions.
    -Oblivion is now also at war with rebels.
    -Villages can now build first level buildings, it works, they are no longer useless and rebellious.
    -Factions will now do naval invasions.
    -Undead and Oblivion can build pirate ships and merc ships and in invaded port cities.

Hope this works, WIP height map for a new version of the Tamriel Map. The TGA will actually be 20000 px by 12000 px. Using the world settings I hope to force Med 2 to process this map as an ultra high definition height map.
    Also working on expanding the regions, there will be bandit camps and the old fortifications for you to conquer in Cyrodiil and Skyrim, among other settlements and regions.
    Understably I've also got to redo the climates and terrain TGAs, which won't be so demanding. Although this highly detailed height map (plus the re-coding of settlement positions and regions) will take a while due to the shear size of it. Can't wait to finish this off .

Image link did not work, let me try that again.

Also thinking of creating a Campaign for the failed Imperial invasion of Akavir.

Nice Youkanda and the island of the Manomer
    Will you ad them as Faction or uniqe mercanarys or AOR Troops?

@ARGHOuse wow where do you come from all of the sudden? Awesome! Planning on relasing a submod or something? Really awesome how amateurs (not negatively meant fix a mod while the mod team seems dead, props

Thanks, yes, I most definitely am ;D! This team has done an excellent job with constructing TESTW, I'll see if I can make my own contributions since I love Elder Scrolls. Thinking of adding the Manomer as their own faction instead of rebels, since they have always had a bad history with the Aldmeri. As for Yokuda, not sure if there really is any significant faction living there at the moment, not sure why the Redguards abandoned it. Also going to make the Sload a non-hostile non-playable faction, since Thras is arisen once again, although if you piss them off you get Sload revenge, and perhaps another Thrassian plague.
    And this evening I have been working on the Skyrim map silhouette, added it to the Tamriel silhouette.

I'm a photoshop pro, as well as a concept artist, so those skills have aided me in creating this.