Thread: How do the Wall Towers and Ballista Towers Work? Custom Settlements?

Maenor's Avatar Libertus

Default How do the Wall Towers and Ballista Towers Work? Custom Settlements?

Hello there!

I recently captured Minas Tirith with the High Elves and because it was a relatively small force i constructed Ballista Towers since i have no Cavalry to go and do something about any Siege Equipment.

Thing is the Wall Towers and/or Ballista Towers don't seem to shoot(?) reading about it on the forum some people claims that Custom Settlements can't have functional Ballista Towers, yet others said some of them like Minas Tirith DO have some sort of Automatic Defense (Even heard about some fireball coming out from time to time lol[True(?)]) but personally there is nothing shooting out of the walls.

What about Rivendell?

Thanks for any info!

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default Re: How do the Wall Towers and Ballista Towers Work? Custom Settlements?

Quote Originally Posted by Maenor View Post
    Hello there!

I recently captured Minas Tirith with the High Elves and because it was a relatively small force i constructed Ballista Towers since i have no Cavalry to go and do something about any Siege Equipment.

Thing is the Wall Towers and/or Ballista Towers don't seem to shoot(?) reading about it on the forum some people claims that Custom Settlements can't have functional Ballista Towers, yet others said some of them like Minas Tirith DO have some sort of Automatic Defense (Even heard about some fireball coming out from time to time lol[True(?)]) but personally there is nothing shooting out of the walls.

What about Rivendell?

Thanks for any info!
    as a rule of thumb towers dont work for custom settlements
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Maenor's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: How do the Wall Towers and Ballista Towers Work? Custom Settlements?

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    as a rule of thumb towers dont work for custom settlements
    Is that a Technical Limitation or just a Design Choice?

How am i supposed to defend myself against Powerfull Artillery Units like Trebuchets? High Elves don't have Trebuchets

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

How am i supposed to defend myself against Powerfull Artillery Units like Trebuchets? High Elves don't have Trebuchets
    technical limitation
    I still suggest to build them trough for they seem to push auto resolve in favor of the defender
    works also for the AI
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

From a technical standpoint it definitly is possible (using the IWTE), most settlement modders just didnt/dont bother with setting the arrow towers up properly as its quite a tedious and annoying process.

Apparently they do work they just don't shoot from the right places, that is what Leo said. I haven't tested it myself to see if they do work.

You can remove the ability to build them in settlements that have custom battle maps, which is what I did, by giving the building trees a hidden_resource requirement.
    Last edited by alreadyded; March 25, 2017 at 02:45 PM.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

TATW already has a hidden resource requirement for towers: "towers". It just needs to be removed from regions with custom settlements where ballista towers are absent/broken.

I tested a few of them recently...

Minas Tirith's do work but apparently not if the target is too close to the wall.
    Hornburg has them but I never saw them working at all, not even arrows. The only towers are at the gate. They're quite high off the ground so maybe the firing angle is too steep for them.
    Isengard's model doesn't have towers at all.

I'm talking vanilla TATW here.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Towers work perfectly in custom settlements. Including ballista and cannon ones (But you will not see cannon ones in TATW)

As far as I remember, towers were working well in 3.2 TATW.

All my custom settlements have working towers. But some of them are made to not have any tower, on purpose.

Thranduil Halls and Rivendell are examples of settlements where you can't actually build any tower.

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    Towers work perfectly in custom settlements. Including ballista and cannon ones (But you will not see cannon ones in TATW)

As far as I remember, towers were working well in 3.2 TATW.

All my custom settlements have working towers. But some of them are made to not have any tower, on purpose.

Thranduil Halls and Rivendell are examples of settlements where you can't actually build any tower.

I know it has been a long time and perhaps and perhaps I am missing something. I am a long time player of different submods and just started TATW 3.2. It seems that my ballista towers/boiling oil (i turned on manually) don't work in any settlements other than fortresses. They are present on the towers in large cities but don't fire ballista missles nor does the boiling oil work.