Thread: HELP - STEAM problem - game wont load. (I'm on Windows 10 Home)

Default HELP - STEAM problem - game wont load. (I'm on Windows 10 Home)

I lost my old M2 disks and bought the Medieval 2 Total War The Complete Edition this week. This had both Medieval 2 AND the Kingdoms expansion pack on it.

I installed it by putting Disk 1 into my laptop and it asked for the STEAM key with the game - i put this in!.... and when it asked for Disk 2 I put that in the machine and loaded it successfully.

It then seemed to download a Medieval 2 update/download.

I opened the Medieval 2 game - and it seemed to work fine! The game looked ok although I did not start a game. I closed it and tried to open Kingdoms, there was a Kingdoms Icon on my desktop so I double clicked it and it seemed to be downloading something then it wouldn't work. Every time I try to open the Kingdoms game it shows a loading screen and says READY TO LAUNCH. No matter what I do it will NOT open the game and this message comes up saying:-

"An error occurred while updating Medieval 2: Kingdoms (missing executable)"

Forget about Mods as I have no Mod files on my computer yet, and I havent even played a single game yet, WHAT is going on - im so frustrated a NEW game won't work.

PLEASE HELP ME ANYONE???

DWO

Default Re: HELP - STEAM problem - game wont load. (I'm on Windows 10 Home)

It also sayd MISSING FILE PRIVILEGES in a section of STEAM when I click download. It gives the file path ..... Any Help with this?

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Thread moved to Tech Help.

Do I understand correctly that the games are installed on Steam via the disk version? It's probably due to the weird decision to remove the Kingdoms.exe when it was added to Steam as a DLC. Have you tried going to your Steam library, right-clicking Medieval 2 and then selecting to play one of the Kingdoms campaigns?

In any case, go to your Medieval 2 folder and check whether there is a Kingdoms.exe. If there isn't, you copy the medieval2.exe and rename that copy Kingdoms. Even if you manage to launch the Kingdoms campaigns without problems I'd advice you to do this as most mods use the Kingdoms.exe so it saves you some trouble later on.

Thanks for your help. After my first post i uninstalled M2 and re-installed it. I've made it worse - it now seems neither M2 or any of the Kingdoms games have the PRIVILEGES!! im starting to get really annoyed - is this to do with my security settings?

It wont update the game because files do not have privileges!! OMG HELPP

I have FIXED the issue - i went online to get help from Microsoft themselves!! They remoted in. It was a problem with the administrator priveleges of my user account.

NOW another problem -- how do i change the game settings to play in 16:9 format????

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Glad you got your issue fixed

In the ingame video option set the resolutions (battle and campaign) to your desktop resolution.