Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Thank you Sonny , highly appreciated.

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

COULD YOU UPDATE YOUR FIRST page post to show how to get GEM to work because it doesnt work for me so need to know how to get it to work.
    But then looking thru 8 pages to find it

intipablo's Avatar Foederatus

Hey guys, Need some help with installing DEI manually on Rome II right now (Without the launcher). I finally got Rome II running after realising the problem was in the launcher, and that the game runs properly when by itself. The only problem with this is that I can't install mods through steam (Yes, I'm using Steam). Any chance you guys have some tips/fixes? Really want to get a nice campaign running on DEI, but nothing working.

Running Windows 7 DEI v1.1 (Playing 1.1 for the current sub mods, also 1.2 wasn't working, keep that discussion for a different place though please). I have all the right .pack files in the data folder of Rome II (Program files). I run the game and it runs fine, it's just that it's completely without mods (Still must have them somewhere in their system though since It says I don't have the same game as other players, (I can't play multiplayer)). I think the problem is that I need to "tick"? these mods off on the launcher, which I obviously can't do..

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Hey guys

I'm currently updating my gaming desk and my tower to a full (custom-built) liquid one. Also adding 2 new M2 SSD's for amazing speed and a totally free from HDD's PC (no more HDD's in my gaming built) so I'm in the process of the dreaded backing up and clearing many files etc
    I will be around, but not so active as before for the next week. If any of you having serious problems send me a pm or I'll try to answer you from here as well. The opening post will be updated and more tips-solutions will be added very soon.

Keep on gaming guys.

Cheers

Default Re: Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

I have like 2 fps when playing with DEI Vanilla rome runs at about 30

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Well, you did not give us much info, what could be possibly do with what you gave?
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Sonny WiFiHr's Avatar Campidoctor

Mod list will be usefull

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Well, you did not give us much info, what could be possibly do with what you gave?
    Sonny WiFiHr Mod list will be usefull Only DEI from steam I fixed the issue by following the settings paradox: setting extreme shadows details etc and low water trees etc unite size:small now i can play even better fps in battle than vanila ;P sorry for taking your time

I had lot of post about losing performance so I had to ask
    Dust mods / volumetric fog (latest Aztec) will reduce a lot of your FPS.
    Glad that your game is running better now

Ι'm back guys.
    My PC is now fully updated to the latest and fastest hardware available in my area.
    During the weekend I'll finish my backup-general Data cleaning and I'll try to update the thread with new info.
    I'll test DEI with my new hardware and various settings as well.

Stay tunned.

Just a recent observation. I found that overclocking RAM (in my case from 1600MHZ-1866MHZ), increased average FPS by 5-6, in the most CPU intensive situations. Tested in the Carthago Historical Battle map. Not huge, but better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    Just a recent observation. I found that overclocking RAM (in my case from 1600MHZ-1866MHZ), increased average FPS by 5-6, in the most CPU intensive situations. Tested in the Carthago Historical Battle map. Not huge, but better than nothing.
    Ηey buddy. Thanks for the input.
    It's rather weird though. Cause such a small memory OC is usually negligible for any game.
    Are you sure you haven't change any other setting from the game panel ???
    I can't test it under the same conditions since my RAM is DDR4 3200MHZ.

How much RAM ?
    I found that rising clock of RAM gives me so little that I never clock it again (everyday life situation). I have tons of unused RAM anyway

@Sonny: 16GB RAM (4x 4GB)

Greek Strategos: No changes. I assume its useful for the most CPU intensive situations? I get the impression that higher clock frequencies on RAM, such as the 3200MHZ DDR4 RAM you have, can help CPU performance?

valky's Avatar Ducenarius

I get the impression that higher clock frequencies on RAM, such as the 3200MHZ DDR4 RAM you have, can help CPU performance?
    Not only the impression To throw in some numbers, cause the clock frequency of DDR (I assume no one has SD anymore..) directly translates to the overall/max possible transfer rate.
    Assuming it's also Dual-Channel (obviously) your bandwidth is 128 bit (64 bit per line) x frequency and since we wanna have transfer rate in readable format (byte/sec) /8

That's 3200 x 128 / 8 = 51,200 Mbyte/sec for BOTH modules (Dual-Channel) or 25,600 MBytes/sec for 1 or the 'other' denotation PC-25600, which often can be read in the memory description

If that is of little help to you ^^

*puts on the stealth suite and silently starts Mordheim until 1.2.1 is finally out...wooooosh*

[and while playing for ex. Rome II .. textures~ or better data and other 'things' are usually virtually stored in your RAM and can be access way faster instead of using the swap file or direct access from your disk, where the speed is much, much slower compared to that. But nowadays ppl usually have 8Gbyte and more...
    There are tons of other factors too, but your question was regarding memory - you should get the idea]

/tech off :Þ

edit: this has little to do with the 'unlimited video' option; cause that directly affects the already processed graphical data by your CPU and already buffered or temporarily stored in your graphic card. The option is rather a weak helper to overcome the limitation of the Total War engine, which can not properly use the full video card's memory in some cases (or at all) and shuffles them wild around or try to reduce the resolution to force-store more data to help improve your frames/sec.
    With the option enabled, some of the data (without down-rendering) is swapped to the RAM (!) but with modern cards and 4GByte+ of VRAM this is less the case and only helps to fully (and properly!) use the whole amount built onto your graphic card.

Feel free to correct me, but it's the most simple explanation I came up with, so it's more or less understandable for an end-user as well.
    IMO the option should be always enabled, if you don't care to lose some frames but want to have a beautiful gaming experience instead. Down-rendered graphics are simply ugly ...
    Though, there are kinds of gamers, who'd rather measure their virtual length of certain biological pieces in frames - then this option is usually disabled. Cause these kinds of ppl also see the difference between 60 and 61 frames, where usually no one else cares. *duck and cover* (or have an older PC)

No offense meant :>
    Last edited by valky; May 20, 2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: thingies
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite store on the Citadel!
    I'm Garrus Vakarian and this is now my favourite spot on the Citadel!

Better ingame Encyclopedia for Shogun 2 (reworked) - RotS - FotS (new map) + web-based version

Thanks for the information Valky, very interesting.

I was also going to ask what people's views were on Hyper-Threading. Do people make a point of disabling/enabling it? Does it have an impact on performance?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 19, 2019 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

I was also going to ask what people's views were on Hyper-Threading. Do people make a point of disabling/enabling it? Does it have an impact on performance?
    For normal gaming it's advisable to turn it off. You will have slightly more stable FPS.
    Other people disagree though, with tests providing different results depending on the system.
    In Rome 2 I have it enabled so far and my FPS are solid stable.

If you need instructions how to enable-disable it feel free to let me know.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 22, 2017 at 09:56 AM.

Hey everyone, posted this in the bug & issues thread but it got buried, so I figured I'd post it here too. First of all, thank you to the mod team for all their amazing work.

Downloaded and installed 1.2.1 last night (2-part manual install, not the 8 part steam version) and played a few custom battles to get the feel of some of the awesome new Greek rosters.

Unfortunately, the performance I am getting out of my computer is now FAR worse than it was in 1.1, with the exact same graphical settings i used to use. In a regular 20 vs 20 battle, my rig will be gong strong at 30-40fps no problem, but then will periodically dip down to an unplayable 1-4fps for 30 seconds or so before returning to normal. The whole battle will just be alternating between smooth gameplay and a slideshow every 15-30 seconds. In 1.1 I never got significant fps drops unless there were like 3-4 full stacks on the field at once.

Some of the things ive tried so far have been verifying local game files on steam (no effect), downloading the rome 2 registry optimizer from this thread (no noticeable effect), downloading razor cortex (no noticeable effect), and finally going into my preferecnes.script file and manually editing the video memory line from 0 to -4000 (also suggested in this thread). Still having the issues though . My next idea was probably going to be just erasing rome 2 from my computer entirely and re-installing everything from scratch.

My laptop is an Alienware 17 with a GTX 860M, 8gb RAM, corei7 processor. I am not knowledgable about hardware, but I am under the impression I should be able to have a clean 20v20 battle with this setup, just like i was able to with 1.1, unless I missed the memo that 1.2.1 is way more hardware intensive than that last version?

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Been awaiting this mod for such a long time so want to be able to get its full potential!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goatse_Mare View Post
    I should be able to have a clean 20v20 battle with this setup,
    With that rig I'm afraid No because....
    unless I missed the memo that 1.2.1 is way more hardware intensive than that last version?
    You have answered yourself Your rig, while not a popato, is getting closer to it by this time. Plus on a side note, I would never recommend you to buy a laptop for Pc gaming because you will have to upgrade it's pieces periodically (3-4 years) and it's way more cheaper than having to buy a laptop every ....2 years?