Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Sonny WiFiHr's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

http://imgur.com/gallery/SRie8

It is refresh rate. Now I remember why I started this in Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    Thank you for the information regarding CPU bottlenecking. I do not get the sudden stutters anymore, but I'm always looking to improve it further. I confess I find the subject quite confusing, but this is most helpful.
    I have applied an overclock to the i7-4790k (4.5GHZ) and a small one to the GTX 1070 (+26MHZ base clock).

Would you say this is a reasonably balanced setup, or, would you recommend only overclocking the CPU; i.e., could the 1070 bottleneck the CPU?
    Currently, I'm playing on 1920x1080, with GEM (basic realistic shader) and core graphics settings all on 'Very High.' Apart from shadows, are there any other settings that you would recommend fine tuning?
    Finally, I already use a piece of software called Process Lasso, but this does not close system processes. Do you just blanket close background processes before stating a game, or use a third party software to do this?

Anyways, thanks again Greek Strategos, its much appreciated.
    How did you get rid of the stuttering?

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    It's an HDR issue. There is a mod which disables HDR but it's not updated-supported anymore.
    You could use GEM which greatly reduces HDR and is customizable as well.
    I always thought it had something to do with shadows....the shadows seem to be overly dark.

EDIT:
    I use MSI afterburner to benchmark, and the program it comes with Riva Tuner apparently has an FPS limiter. I tried it....but still get stuttering. It's the units themselves that appear to stutter by the way.

Also how can I use GEM without having any performance impact?
    Last edited by bthizle1; March 25, 2017 at 01:26 PM.

Sonny WiFiHr's Avatar Campidoctor

Tip

If you have crash with mod manager. Delete exe. Download mod manager - replace exe.
    Sometimes exe just screw itself. Mod settings will be saved (appData)

bthizle1

Where you expirence most of stuttering?
    Aztec can create fog stuttering (heavy one). Siege -
    1070 can do this game on extreme
    Last edited by Sonny WiFiHr; March 25, 2017 at 01:59 PM.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by crypteque View Post
    1. I disabled AA in Rome 2, but whenever I do that my GEM wouldn't work. It only works when the in-game AA is on. Why does this happen?

2. I looked for the vsync option in my nvidia panel, but it only has "on" and "off" options, while the typical usage scenarios clearly shows "adaptive" and "smooth" options. Do I have to lock fps in other way?

1.From GEM's offline configurator uncheck by-pass UI and also uncheck 64bit Application.
    2.Look my above posts and use on of the programs I suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by bthizle1 View Post
    EDIT:
    I use MSI afterburner to benchmark, and the program it comes with Riva Tuner apparently has an FPS limiter. I tried it....but still get stuttering. It's the units themselves that appear to stutter by the way.

Also how can I use GEM without having any performance impact?
    Sometimes stuttering is not connected with just fps. You should check my other posts for more info.
    GEM is not performance heavy for an average GPU but for a low GPU the laod it could be from 5-10 fps
    You could just download it and use only what you want though with the Configurator which its included to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny WiFiHr View Post
    Tip

If you have crash with mod manager. Delete exe. Download mod manager - replace exe.
    Sometimes exe just screw itself. Mod settings will be saved (appData)

I hope you don't mean the Unofficial mod manager. It's not supported any more and you should use the steam's manager or the userscript.tx (my personal favorite) for setting up and load you mods as you wish.
    Also with userscript.txt your load order never changes and you can safely use any mod without any complications you may have with manager.

If you need a guide about this, I could write one for you.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 25, 2017 at 04:52 PM.

@bthizle1: Correct me if I am wrong Greek Strategos, but I believe if units are stuttering, but your FPS is ok, it is a symptom of engine limitation and there is little that can be done. I think this may have been a problem since the Warscape engine was introduced around the time of Empire Total War (don't quote me on that). Regarding graphical stuttering, I imagine its a combination of things (CPU, GPU, RAM, Background processes....) and I do not feel confident in providing an accurate answer. What I can say is that, crudely speaking, CPU core speed is important overall. I found that upgrading from a i7-4770 to a i7-4790k helped in certain situations (especially on the campaign map). In addition, capping FPS to 60 (using RivaTuner) helped smooth things further on the campaign map (unsure about battle map). If I am honest, I think no matter how powerful your hardware is, there are going to be times where you encounter performance problems (small hitches etc). DEI is more graphically demanding, with larger unit sizes. Combine that with the Warscape engine, it becomes a case of improving the experience (i.e., reducing the frequency and severity of hitching/stuttering), not perfecting it. That is just my view; it may not be correct and other uses may have a different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    @bthizle1: Correct me if I am wrong Greek Strategos, but I believe if units are stuttering, but your FPS is ok, it is a symptom of engine limitation and there is little that can be done. I think this may have been a problem since the Warscape engine was introduced around the time of Empire Total War (don't quote me on that). Regarding graphical stuttering, I imagine its a combination of things (CPU, GPU, RAM, Background processes....) and I do not feel confident in providing an accurate answer. What I can say is that, crudely speaking, CPU core speed is important overall. I found that upgrading from a i7-4770 to a i7-4790k helped in certain situations (especially on the campaign map). In addition, capping FPS to 60 (using RivaTuner) helped smooth things further on the campaign map (unsure about battle map). If I am honest, I think no matter how powerful your hardware is, there are going to be times where you encounter performance problems (small hitches etc). DEI is more graphically demanding, with larger unit sizes. Combine that with the Warscape engine, it becomes a case of improving the experience (i.e., reducing the frequency and severity of hitching/stuttering), not perfecting it. That is just my view; it may not be correct and other uses may have a different experience.
    My last message for today cause I'm going for a few beers...
    You're correct. The first and most important issue it's the Warscape and in our case (Rome 2) a modified but still not updated Warscape.
    After that, the problems and causes are mostly the ones you described and you could check my previous posts for more info (I have posted about it many times) in other threads as well.
    As for DEI's extra load due to scripts,assets etc you are also correct. Don't worry though, we'll try to lessen the stuttering a bit and solve most of the graphical issues. Stay tuned for more info and read the previous post if you have the time till a compilation of them is ready.
    Cheers.

A few things.

What a great idea to start a thread like this Greek Strategos!

Now, I am actually intimidated by all the helpful info here because I can only understand 15% of the things said here. Combing through the pages make me wishing there was a quick graph optimization for dummy as the first post. When it comes to these things I simply wish to be told what to do, as in "turn off this," "install this," or "use this other thing." I still don't know how to get the best out of my computer.

So what I wanna ask truly is what would be your recommendation to my computer?
    I have i7-6700T @ 2.80GHz and GTX 960 of 4GB VM, and 8GB RAM; stock clock for both (don't know how to overclock, and can't really either; will burn my little Alpha R2 to ashes I think).

Tvym for your offer! :-)

Copy and paste my PN

My problem is that I receive between 15 and 40 fps in a battle and around 40 fps on campaign map in Rome 2.

I'm using win7 on an i7 3770 3,4ghz, GTX 1070 8GB & 16 GB RAM.
    With Afterburner on, I see that I have a GPU & CPU usage of around 30%, no matter what I've done yet I couldnt improve the performance.

Playing on Ultra or Low makes nearly no difference in FPS.

But games like Witcher3 run on max settings with constant 60 fps...

Quote Originally Posted by k966 View Post

What a great idea to start a thread like this Greek Strategos!

Now, I am actually intimidated by all the helpful info here because I can only understand 15% of the things said here. Combing through the pages make me wishing there was a quick graph optimization for dummy as the first post. When it comes to these things I simply wish to be told what to do, as in "turn off this," "install this," or "use this other thing." I still don't know how to get the best out of my computer.

So what I wanna ask truly is what would be your recommendation to my computer?
    I have i7-6700T @ 2.80GHz and GTX 960 of 4GB VM, and 8GB RAM; stock clock for both (don't know how to overclock, and can't really either; will burn my little Alpha R2 to ashes I think).
    Thanks.
    Don't worry mate I will compile a guide with simple and more advance steps soon. So stay tuned.
    You're playing on a Alien mini right??? with not bad features indeed but as you should know your cpu is very very slow with 2.80 ghz for a CPU hungry game like Rome 2.
    You definitely need a stronger CPU or to OC the current one and maybe another 8 giga of Memory Ram. That would help you for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionary View Post

Copy and paste my PN

My problem is that I receive between 15 and 40 fps in a battle and around 40 fps on campaign map in Rome 2.

With Afterburner on, I see that I have a GPU & CPU usage of around 30%, no matter what I've done yet I couldnt improve the performance.

hehe
    40fps (stable) is fine fo a strategy game...Remember you're not playing a shooter. 15 though it's a problem indeed.
    You problem is the limitation of the engine as you already have said bu also your very low CPU's core ghz. I have my 7600K at 4.8 ghz and my FPS ara stable 50 (extreme settings,GEM,no in game A.A using 2K resolution) so as you can understand ghz are the main barrier for you.

Solutions ???
    1)OC the 4770 with turbo boost only around 3.90gzh you can't go for more cause it's not a K model.
    2)Sell it and buy a K model.

Your FPS will be more stable and higher with an average O.C but don't expect miracles and stable 60fps all the time again. Cause as we said Rome's 2 Engine is also an issue.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 26, 2017 at 01:29 PM.

Copy and paste my PN

RAM is DDR3 right? damn you have exactly my rig bro!

I have the 3770k @ 3.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM too but only a GTX 680. So almost the same too . I get around 60 Fps on campaign map.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Yes it is :brofist: Does Rome work well on your pc?

btw I think it can't be my cpu only since the game worked pretty well on the same system with an R9 270X :/ But yeah, I already thought about buying another cpu+mobo..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplitus View Post
    I have the 3770k @ 3.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM too but only a GTX 680. So almost the same too . I get around 60 Fps on campaign map.
    You have a K CPU though, turbo boost is on by default so you're running the game possibly with 3.9 to 4ghz not 3.5ghz
    What about your battle map ???

Cheers

Yes it is :brofist: Does Rome work well on your pc?

btw I think it can't be my cpu only since the game worked pretty well on the same system with an R9 270X :/ But yeah, I already thought about buying another cpu+mobo..
    It's never only one thing to blame, that's we are discussing since the beginning of this tread.
    That's really weird cause your 1070gtx is more powerful than a R270X.
    Systems are never identical, even when they have exactly the same hardware, they 100% have different drivers,settings,task running etc
    You don't need another mobo just a K CPU.

That's because 3370 or K (Ivy bridge) only supports DDR3 by default.
    Only Haswell and Broadwell support DDR4.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 26, 2017 at 04:45 PM.

I'm still waiting for your trick and tips thread G. Strategos

I'm still waiting for your trick and tips thread G. Strategos
    Soon mate. I have to organize a big event for TWH Forum currently. CA gave us many keys for Warhammer and various DLCs through Zegetron (Razer Greece) and I need to spent some time creating and running a gaming contest.
    But I'll have the tech guide ready very soon. Possibly together with a few surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    You have a K CPU though, turbo boost is on by default so you're running the game possibly with 3.9 to 4ghz not 3.5ghz
    What about your battle map ???

Cheers
    Yes indeed. Your absolutely right it seems to be the "k" that makes the difference My Fps in battle depend on the armies and numbers of soldiers involved of course. I play with everything on ultra except unit/texture quality I think. I'll have to recheck.

Most of the time I have between 50 and 60 Fps I think. Needs to be checked again too. But as long as the battle isn't to big it's pretty smooth.

Btw. It's nice that you take your time to do all this and try to help others

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplitus View Post
    Yes indeed. Your absolutely right it seems to be the "k" that makes the difference My Fps in battle depend on the armies and numbers of soldiers involved of course. I play with everything on ultra except unit/texture quality I think. I'll have to recheck.

Most of the time I have between 50 and 60 Fps I think. Needs to be checked again too. But as long as the battle isn't to big it's pretty smooth.

Btw. It's nice that you take your time to do all this and try to help others
    No problem mate. My pleasure to help whenever is possible.

Has anyone tried CPU core parking/unparking? I've heard some people have success with this.

Quote Originally Posted by bthizle1 View Post
    Has anyone tried CPU core parking/unparking? I've heard some people have success with this.
    I have. It doesn't offer any valid increase to fps, some games may gain a little something, but not the newest ones though.
    It just makes the cores always working in full capacity, but if you haven't an average O.C already, it will not help you.
    Ι will probably add it in the guide anyway and see how it goes.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 28, 2017 at 02:51 PM.

Senator

A very nice thread, thank you for it!

Although momentarily I would be more interested in your Fallout 4 optimizations because my R2:TW runs (as usual) without problems, at least for my humble needs. I have only an i7-6700, 3,4 Ghz, with GTX 960 8 GB and 24 GB RAM, and play 1920x1080 with GEM, huge units, but only 20 units per stack.

What I took from it is that the highest shadow settings bring into play the GPU. Good to know.
    I would be interested in GEM settings. I use it out of the box, didn't even know that there is a configurator included. And it is still the version I installed for DeI 1.1. First I will look into this AA thingy, wether I could change it to FXAA (?).

When advising, you should take into account the helpless goofiness of some people (like me) concerning PC related stuff. Quite often when I read question-answer-threads the profs give fantastic advice but cut some basics. For example "Just download, extract it and put the files into folder x. What's your problem?". Not mentioned is the fact that you need to put only under-folders 1,2,3 of the download into x and not the superfluously contained first folder y or the single files, not a problem at all if you knew it but a problem for starters (taken from DAZ3d content download questions as example). Also a favourite is "change this in setting y, window x" without explaining where you first get to the settings window.