Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast

Thread: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    What a bunch of c*ck s*ckers xD
    I know, right ???
    Warhammer 2 also runs far better than any other Total War game I have ever seen. It's silky smooth even in extreme-Ultra settings. They have learned their lesson at last. But I wish they had done this with Rome 2 and Attila as well.

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

This works really well..

3)Now change it to gfx_video_memory -2000; or -4000;

on my asus gaming laptop j751jy.. it use to run at 40% of pc.. and the cooling system would be louder and the vents will be making alot more noise. This literally brought it down to around 20% of my laptop.. and its quiet..

thanks

btw why was mine set at-0

Quote Originally Posted by RadRipRep View Post
    This works really well..

on my asus gaming laptop j751jy.. it use to run at 40% of pc.. and the cooling system would be louder and the vents will be making alot more noise. This literally brought it down to around 20% of my laptop.. and its quiet..

thanks

btw why was mine set at-0
    Good to know mate. I'm glad that step solved your issue.
    -0 it's the auto configuration setting, I'm not sure why though.

I have some tech questions to better make my submod:
    1) How strong is the autocalc advantage applied by modify_next_autoresolve_battle(5, 0.1, 0.1, 2, false)? Would a 5 : 0.1 ratio just give a slight advantage, a strong advantage, or does it guarantee a win even for a much weaker force? What can I set these numbers to, does it go to 5? Does win_next_autoresolve_battle work (when called in pending battle)?
    2) Why do functions like OnPendingBattle get called with the argument context? Is that necessary to use game functions like turn_number()?

Quote Originally Posted by CIaagent11 View Post
    I have some tech questions to better make my submod:
    1) How strong is the autocalc advantage applied by modify_next_autoresolve_battle(5, 0.1, 0.1, 2, false)? Would a 5 : 0.1 ratio just give a slight advantage, a strong advantage, or does it guarantee a win even for a much weaker force? What can I set these numbers to, does it go to 5? Does win_next_autoresolve_battle work (when called in pending battle)?
    2) Why do functions like OnPendingBattle get called with the argument context? Is that necessary to use game functions like turn_number()?
    hmmm I believe @Dresden could answer these questions better, as they are more like modding ones.

My testing reveals, modify_next_autoresolve_battle seems to confer some advantage, but not enough to really keep a stronger faction from expanding. The win_next_autoresolve_battle does not seem to work at all in my testing.

Right now I wonder how to get the at_war_with("faction") to work. What do I put in front of it?

Quote Originally Posted by CIaagent11 View Post
    My testing reveals, modify_next_autoresolve_battle seems to confer some advantage, but not enough to really keep a stronger faction from expanding. The win_next_autoresolve_battle does not seem to work at all in my testing.

Right now I wonder how to get the at_war_with("faction") to work. What do I put in front of it?
    Sadly I don't have an answer for you mate.
    Your best bet is to message Dresden and ask for a helping hand when he has the time.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 27, 2017 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks for the advice. I wrote him this:

Hello Dresden

I was advised to write you.
    I am trying to create a function that tests whether a faction is at war with the player for use in my expansion limitation script, because I'm disabling movement for factions that get too big, and I want this to not apply to the players enemies, because obvioulsy it would be kind of easy to conquer a faction that cant move its armies. I can't get it to work. I had hoped you could let me know what I do wrong. All I really need is to get the something:at_war_with(something) game function to work.

DeI already has a function that tests whether a faction is allied to the player, so I hoped I should be able to just adapt that.
    But it does not seem to work. The script is sound in terms of having the right 'end's in the right places, it starts but all I get is the Log entry "Faction is Epirus", after that it doesn't return anything.

Code:
    function Test(context)
    --this is copied DeI code with some changes. it just creates a list of factions, which are the player. in single player there should be one player faction so I can set one variable play_faction to be the player faction, and to put it into my . this might contain an error.
    if context:faction():is_human() == false and context:faction():region_list():num_items() > 0 then
      local player_factions = {};
      local faction_list = scripting.game_interface:model():world():faction_list();
      local play_faction = faction_list:item_at(0);
      for i = 0, faction_list:num_items() - 1 do
        local curr_faction = faction_list:item_at(i);
        if (curr_faction:is_human() == true) then
          play_faction = curr_faction
          curr_faction = curr_faction:name()
          table.insert(player_factions, curr_faction);
        end
      end

--this is for testing whether the at_war_with function works. i'm just saying "if you're at war, then log something". but none of the logs after the Log("Faction is Epirus") line get called.
      Log("Starting second test, Epirus")
      if context.string == "rom_epirus" then
        Log("Faction is Epirus")
        local are_enemies1 = CheckIfFactionIsPlayersEnemy(play_faction, context:faction())
        Log("Set are_enemies1")
        if are_enemies1 == true then
          Log("Test 2: Epirus is at war with Player")
        end
        Log("Done Test 2 Epirus war check")
        if are_enemies1 == false then
          Log("Test 2: Epirus is not at war with the Player")
        end
        Log("Done Test 2 Epirus not war check")
      end

--this is a straight copy from DeI's CheckIfFactionIsPlayersAlly function with changed variables
    function CheckIfFactionIsPlayersEnemy(players, faction)
      local l2 = false
      for j,value in pairs(players) do
        if (l2 == false) and (value:at_war_with(faction)==true) then 
          l2 = true
          Log("CheckIfFactionIsPlayersEnemy true")
        end
      end
      return l2
    end
    To make it less complicated, even this doesn't work.
    It really just says "Log if the factions are at war".
    No dice. No idea why. It runs during the Epirus turn and they are at war with Rome, which is faction 0 in the array.

Code:
      if context.string == "rom_epirus" then
        if context:faction():at_war_with(scripting.game_interface:model():world():faction_list():item_at(0)) then
          Log("Success")
        end
      end
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 19, 2019 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

ΑFAIK AI scripting in Total War games was always buggy, unlike Paradox titles.
    Even if the script is correctly written, most of the time the AI has his own mind. Especially with diplomatic options and expansion.

Thanks. It seems some functions just dont work, or they dont work with Rome 2.
    Or, as you say, the TW AI just doesnt care that much.
    So far I've found functions that work to also be properly applied though.

If this question was off-topic in the hardware thread, then please remove at will.
    Last edited by CIaagent11; November 02, 2017 at 03:33 AM.

this mean MINUS 2000 ??? so must writing : "gfx_video_memory -2000;" or simply : gfx_video_memory 2000; ???

Hey, first time with DeI

Game is having terrible lags, even with 100 soldiers on the map. In ingame settings, it shows my graphic card so i dunno what the problem is.
    i tried the preference thing, changed from 0 to -4000, -2000 +2000 +4000, and it changed nothing
    Every other mod i can run in full ULTRA settings, with no problems

my stats: i7-7700HQ CPU @2.80GHz 2808 Mhz // 8GB ram // nvidia geforce GTX 1050

Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf's Avatar Civis

Set it to -4000 and probably try this:

6)New possible FIX for stuttering issues and general performance.
    Some times the Rome's 2 settings file becomes invalid and bugged, DirectX files as well.

So try this easy FIX:

Go to: C/users/USERNAME/appdata/roaming/thecreativeassembly/rome2/scripts

If you cant find that, click on the windows button and in the search bar type in RUN, click on that and then enter %appdata%.

When you finally get to the scripts file, delete it (these are the games settings)

After the scripts files are deleted go into your steam game library, right click on the game and go to properties, local files, then verify game files.

Once that is completed find the game files, which would be wherever you have steam located, and follow this: Steam/Steamapps/Common/TotalwarRomeII/redist/directx

In the directx folder, find the DXSETUP application and install directx through that.
    Checking out games for historical accuracy: http://bit.ly/HiGaVFYD
    Let's Plays: http://bit.ly/HjalfFeuer

I have some weird text bug when running DEI. I didn't use to have this 2-3 years ago when I last ran DEI.

While I haven't tested a lot of vanilla rome II yet, I have yet to see this buggy text there.

Link to show you what I mean - https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...e_ii_text_bug/

Usually the text that gets buggy with me is one of the stats on my units- combat vs elephants and the numbers below province population. Then occasionally something else - for example the whole text from the advisor that appears once in a while. Also the fix provided in that link makes the texture very hard to read, so while it's a fix, it's a pretty poor one.

It really breaks my immersion and triggers my ocd so I spent all night trying to figure this one out with no luck. Anyone please help?

Sorry, I have never seen that before. All I can say is I have never seen anything like that reported in years of lurking around these forums, so I strongly assume it is an issue with your computer. You might have anything from a missing font of broken graphics card, but I'm wildly guessing. I can only recommend reinstalling the whole thing from scratch, that is: windows, Rome, DeI. If that does't work, you have to get another computer to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunor View Post

this mean MINUS 2000 ??? so must writing : "gfx_video_memory -2000;" or simply : gfx_video_memory 2000; ???
    Yeah you should add: gfx_video_memory -2000 or -4000;

Quote Originally Posted by lequintal69 View Post
    Hey, first time with DeI

Game is having terrible lags, even with 100 soldiers on the map. In ingame settings, it shows my graphic card so i dunno what the problem is.
    i tried the preference thing, changed from 0 to -4000, -2000 +2000 +4000, and it changed nothing
    Every other mod i can run in full ULTRA settings, with no problems

my stats: i7-7700HQ CPU @2.80GHz 2808 Mhz // 8GB ram // nvidia geforce GTX 1050
    Hello mate. DEI is much more demanding than other mods.
    Usually you'll need more processing power to play it.

1)Follow my tips and steps from the main post.
    2)Let me know for any extra help you may need.

PS
    You could Overclock your CPU. 2.8mhz is very low for an i7
    1050gtx is not a very strong card for such demanding mods.You should also know that Rome 2 is also based more on CPU than GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Imoen View Post
    I have some weird text bug when running DEI. I didn't use to have this 2-3 years ago when I last ran DEI.

While I haven't tested a lot of vanilla rome II yet, I have yet to see this buggy text there.

Link to show you what I mean - https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...e_ii_text_bug/

Usually the text that gets buggy with me is one of the stats on my units- combat vs elephants and the numbers below province population. Then occasionally something else - for example the whole text from the advisor that appears once in a while. Also the fix provided in that link makes the texture very hard to read, so while it's a fix, it's a pretty poor one.

It really breaks my immersion and triggers my ocd so I spent all night trying to figure this one out with no luck. Anyone please help?
    Never seen anything like it mate. I'm sorry. I'd suggest to
    1)check your drivers again, completely erase them with DDU tool and install the latest ones.
    2)Delete preferences file from C/users/USERNAME/appdata/roaming/thecreativeassembly/rome2/scripts.
    3)Check your file integrity for Rome 2 through STEAM.

Let me know about your results. I'll search the forums for any other similar situation so I could lend you a hand.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; November 14, 2017 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf View Post
    Set it to -4000 and probably try this:

When you finally get to the scripts file, delete it (these are the games settings)

After the scripts files are deleted go into your steam game library, right click on the game and go to properties, local files, then verify game files.

Once that is completed find the game files, which would be wherever you have steam located, and follow this: Steam/Steamapps/Common/TotalwarRomeII/redist/directx

In the directx folder, find the DXSETUP application and install directx through that.
    worked, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Yeah you should add: gfx_video_memory -2000 or -4000;

Hello mate. DEI is much more demanding than other mods.
    Usually you'll need more processing power to play it.

1)Follow my tips and steps from the main post.
    2)Let me know for any extra help you may need.

PS
    You could Overclock your CPU. 2.8mhz is very low for an i7
    1050gtx is not a very strong card for such demanding mods.You should also know that Rome 2 is also based more on CPU than GPU.

is it that bad ? now i got it working, i can play in full ultra without no problem (didnt try huge sieges tho), as i could with other mods. Speaking of which, why would DEI take more ressources for battle map, as said, base game with full graphical mods (aztec, etc)

Besides, i have no idea on how to overclock
    Last edited by lequintal69; November 17, 2017 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lequintal69 View Post

is it that bad ? now i got it working, i can play in full ultra without no problem (didnt try huge sieges tho), as i could with other mods. Speaking of which, why would DEI take more ressources for battle map, as said, base game with full graphical mods (aztec, etc)

Besides, i have no idea on how to overclock
    Ιt's more about the unit's huge variation differences with Vanilla. DEI use more resources to represent the units with full details and more than average quality. Also unit numbers are much greater (so much more pixels) and if your CPU is middle ranged you'll probably have problem with Ultra settings.
    You could lower your settings and use the suggested values from the opening post and let me know.

Cheers.

Do you think that I should forget playing Rome 2+DEI with this laptop?

Intel Core i5-6300HQ Quad-Core (6M Cache, 2.3 GHz ~ 3.2 GHz)
    RAM : 8 GB, DDR4 2133 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M 2GB DDR5

I play with medium settings and I get 30-45 fps in campaign and battles before the combat starts. Then the game has several FPS drops.

I have this desktop:

CPU
    - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    8 GB RAM
    GPU
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB

Can I max it out with medium size? In a double full stack battle the battle become unplayable despite the quality settings.
    Last edited by IamOdysseus; December 02, 2017 at 01:53 PM.

I play it fine on way lower hardware. But I am content with lower graphics settings and unit size, as that's what I'm used to from RTW days. Bigger units just feel like an uncontrollable blob to me.