Default [Ongoing] The Revolt in Persia

Theatre

Combatants

Nearchus (War leader)

Peucestas

vs

Persia - Nitrates

321-
    • Seizing upon the perceived weakness of the new Peucestid Regency, Nearchus and his mercenary army have gone rogue in some attempt to topple the regency
    • Persia, the satrapy promised to Nearchus is now in revolt, Peucestas forces have seized some of the eastern land in Carmania and Persia

Deployments

Peucestas deployments:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-the-Empire

Nearchus deployments:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...49666-Nearchus

Niphate’s Retinue -- currently at Persian Gates (between Persepolis and Anshan), this position will give them a defensive bonus if attacked from that direction
    10 x persian cavalry
    17 x persian archers
    13 x Persian Eastern Levies
    6 x Persian Eastern Light Cavalry
    5 x Immortals (unique 1100 bp spearmen)

Last edited by Prince Odysseus; March 23, 2017 at 02:32 AM.
    Blut und Boden

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Default Re: [Ongoing] The Revolt in Persia

Encounter at the Persian Gates

As Nearchus' army of mercenaries reaches the persian gates they see a narrow road going into a canyon. On both sides of the canyon thousands of persians (presumably archers) await for the enemy to walk into the death trap. However, to capture persepolis they need to defeat the persian army in the center. They may also attempt to attack the hills but the defenders have +50% bp defending them.

BIG http://i.imgur.com/8Hun5tV.jpg

Nearchus(Command : 15 Admin. : 16 Combat : 8 )
    Androtimus (Command : 14 Admin. : 9 Combat : 8 )
    Drakon (Command : 12 Admin : 7 Combat : 7)

2x Mercenary Cretan Archers
    6x Mercenary Hoplites
    2x Mercenary Tarantine Cavalry
    1x Mercenary Median Cavalry
    2x Mercenary Hippeis
    4x Mercenary Eastern Cavalry
    2x Mercenary Heavy Persian Archers

VS
    Niphates
    10 x persian cavalry
    17 x persian archers

Battlefield notes
    • If the macedonians break the enemy center they win.
    • If you don't take the hills, the persian units on the hills can skirmish you two more times (in addition to the first skirmish)
    • All units must be dismounted to fight here (cavalry will have only 2/3 bp)
    • Persians have no need to attack, it must be up to the macedonians
    • If you have local guides or detailed local knowledge bonus I'll let you use it up on this npc to find an alternate route around this to attack the persian center

ooc: regardless of anything right now xion I need you to pm me some info, first stage is the skirmish and they are shooting at you right now

The following of your units are capable of skirmishing; I need to know which ones are counter skirmishing (ie trying to lessen damage by disrupting enemry skirmishers) and which units you want to order to skirmish (attack)

Last edited by Aetius; March 24, 2017 at 02:00 AM.
    Blut und Boden

Skirmish round

The persian archers hail down all hell upon the macedonian formation, (imagine 4000 arrows every volley). For days this harassment persists. Nerachus' mercenaries put up a good fight, being greatly outnumbered and defend the macedonian camp to the best of their ability but after the first few days many depleted bands begin to slip away in the night.

(persians rolled well did 11139 bp of damage)
    (nearchus rolled average, did 4956 bp of damage and prevented 1900 bp of damage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCOsPmFmPPY

After these stressful days, locals guides have succeeded in finding a way around the hills to attack the persian camp directly, its even flat enough to use horses on (its that valley in the top left of the map). However, as soon as you do it will be clear to the persians what you are doing and they will launch an attack on your own camp. Nearchus must now decide what troops to leave at camp and what to send around the hills and attack the persian camp. Nearchus' advisors suggest that this battle is very desperate, and if he has any chance, not only must he fight but Androtimus and Drakon take to the field with their bodyguard (5% chance to die but provide 100 bp of shockcav per combat point). Other advisers suggest a retreat to gather reinforcements as their situation is rather grim.

Nearchus(Command : 15 Admin. : 16 Combat : 8 )
    Androtimus (Command : 14 Admin. : 9 Combat : 8 )
    Drakon (Command : 12 Admin : 7 Combat : 7)
    6x Mercenary Hoplites
    1x Mercenary Median Cavalry
    2x Mercenary Hippeis
    3x Mercenary Hykranian Hillmen.

VS

Niphates
    10 x persian cavalry
    17 x persian archers7 persian archers
    Last edited by Aetius; March 24, 2017 at 07:34 PM.
    Blut und Boden

For two weeks the skirmishers of Nearchus' host would engage with the Persians up in the hills on both sides of the Persian Gate, thousands of arrows raining down in a almost constant deluge over the camp whenever the Persians would attack, with the return fire from the Cretans, Persian Archers, and if they could brave the hail of arrows to get into range, javelins from the cavalry diminishing each day. Any attempt to build fortifications to guard the archers from the Persians' fire would be met with hails of arrows from the hills and the occasional band of Persians coming down to harass with javelins and other weapons, who would usually flee before a band of mercenaries could engage them, although there would be a few small skirmishes over the course of the Persian harassment of the encampment. On the third day, Nearchus orders some of his local Persian cavalry to attempt to find a way around the Gates so they may assault the Persian camp. Later that day, Nearchus would be hit by an arrow in the arm and command would pass to his sons for the few days while Nearchus recovered from his injury.

On the morning of the sixth day, after sallying out with the Median horsemen and Hippeis to chase off a Persian skirmisher band, the sons of Nearchus would notice the first bands of mercenaries to defect, having fled in the dead of night.
    Nearchus did not take the news well and ordered his men to hurry up and find the way around. "Father, perhaps we should send word to Bablyon. Perhaps the regent will send assistance?" "I doubt it. I've heard word of fighting breaking out in the west, we're on our own." "But the Partition granted these lands to you, is it your fault they rose in rebellion before we could even arrive?" "No, some intrigue at Bablyon sparked this rebellion, and while the regent is supposed to enforce the Partition, I was ignored at Bablyon and essentially sidelined at Triparadisus, along with being the sole Navarch amongst the Diadochi if you could even consider me one.." "Hopefully Artemis or Apollo will grant our scouts the sight they need to find the path around." "Hopefully..." Nearchus pauses as he hears a persian warhorn sound. "Here they come again. Send any skirmishes we have out to engage, have the hoplites form into a phalanx." "At once, father." His sons then leave and Nearchus remains in his tent, starting at a map and meeting with his few remaining advisors. Several arrows from a volley puncture the roof of the tent, but miss anyone inside.

On the thirteenth day the scouts manage to find a route around the hills that would allow for the Nearchid host to engage the Persian camp without having to first brave the volleys of the Persians on the hills. Nearchus' retinue of advisors and captains would argue for and against an attack, with those arguing for the assault saying all three of the Nearchids would have to ride into battle with their bodyguards for the host to even have a chance of victory, while others say to retreat to gather reinforcements. "With what funds? I expended my entire treasury for this host and it was not enough." Nearchus thinks to himself.
    "This is not a decisions I can lightly make, I will think on it and make my decision tomorrow morning. Until then, double the watch, I don't want to wake up to a group of Persians surrounding my tent should they try a night assault to break us after two weeks of them firing thousands of arrows at us each day."

The next day would reveal that several more bands of mercenaries desert the Nearchid camp, and in the morning Nearchus meets with his eldest son to discuss his plan. "Strike the camp and prepare to withdraw back to Susa. We do not have the forces to hold any attack upon on our encampment and strike at the Persian encampment. It was folly of me to believe I could accomplish with several thousand what Alexandros Megas required at least triple of what we have fielded and took far longer to find the path." Nearchus says to his sons in a depressed tone, the realization dawning upon him that perhaps the gods fated him to never hold land again after his tenure as Satrap of Lycia a decade ago that ended in 328 B.C.. "At once father, but where shall we go now, and how shall we afford to keep the men?" "I'll find a way to keep some of our forces. We'll have to disband the eastern mercenaries most likely. Then perhaps we can find employment by one of the satraps in exchange for some land somewhere eventually, and if that does happen, I will sacrifice to all the gods to hopefully prevent another rebellion. You and your brother will marry a local noblewoman to win over the people, we will learn from this failure."Nearchus then sighs. "Otherwise we will just find an estate somewhere and retire from the military. I will write my history of my adventures with Alexander, while you and your brother marry and become gentlemen farmers." Androtimus just nods and leaves his father's tent to deliver his orders to the remaining mercenaries with the Nearchids. By late aftertoon, the camp would be struck and the Nearchid forces would retreat in defeat.
    Last edited by Xion; March 25, 2017 at 08:00 AM.

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

Persian Revolts Spread Like Wildfire

Owing to the Instability of the Region and to Niphates' successful defense of the Persian gates against Nearchus and Peucastas, the Eastern half of the Macedonian Empire is now aflame in revolt. While the Persians are not yet unified, they are both incensed at their sudden loss of status, as their cultural history, language, religion, and ultimately status is reduced and replaced by Greek colonists. After the failed attack on the gates by Nearchus (who was unsupported by the Regent) the Persian revolt has gained immense legitimacy. Niphates In the name of Xerxes III is a hero and thousands have flocked to their banner. Gedrosian tribesmen have revolted from its distant ruler Peithon and join the cause of the Persian restoration

Niphates
    Command 9 (+1=10 for defeating Nearchus)
    Combat:7
    Admin:10
    Black, shaggy hair tight in a ponytail reveals a furrowed, charming face. Niphates, the former captain of Perdiccas' Persian heavy cavalry. There's something appealing about him, perhaps it's his bravery or perhaps it's simply his good looks. But nonetheless, people tend to keep their distance, while hoping their sons will grow up to be like him.

Niphate’s Retinue -- currently at Persian Gates (between Persepolis and Anshan)
    10 x Persian cavalry
    10x Persian eastern archers (Thanvarbara)
    13 x Persian Eastern Levies (Sparabara)
    6 x Persian Eastern Light Cavalry (Asabari)

Rebels (additional rebels )
    13 x Eastern Light Cavalry
    9 x Persian Archers
    16 x Gedrosian Tribesmen (axemen)

The Persians now seek independence however they are willing to be nominally part of the empire as long as the Regent confirms it

To the Regent they still offer the following terms
    --Surrender the murderesses Roxana and Senzela, guarantee their autonomy and promise to protect them against other satraps in return for an annual tribute of 250 talents
    (this will end the alliance with Oxyartes mind you, in fact he will hate you. Also, Alexander IV will loathe Peucestas for sending his mother to die. Anyone using a plans of their own bonus to take Alexander will increase to 90% chance from 50% chance)

They are no long willing to ally defensively with other satraps. Additionally, if they are not dealt with, Nitrates will sense the weakness of the Macedonian Empire and will seek to replace Macedonian hegemony with a resurgent Achaemenid Empire.

Additionally, the Parthians have also revolt. Although they have not pledged allegiance to Nitrates, they will likely do so as the revolt continues to grow. Currently the Parthians are encamped at Hectomyplos and are awaiting instructions and are aligned under Sogdianus, a rebel captain who previously was a courtier of Darius III and managed to rally an army. Although they are friendly with Nitrates, the Parthians wish to fully revolt from the Macedonian Empire. If Niphates is not dealt with by next turn, they will join him, and he will declare a new Empire based around Persepolis, the Ancient Persian Capital that was destroyed by Alexander the Great.

Sogdianus
    Command: 7
    Combat:8
    Admin:10

Defected Peithonid units
    20 Parthian Horse archers
    12 Parthian Eastern Archers
    12 Parthian Eastern Levies
    8 Parthian Eastern Axemen
    10,000 troops

Rebels (average revolt)
    3 Cataphracts
    16 Parthian Horse Archers
    16 Parthian Eastern Levies
    12 Parthian Eastern Axemen
    8,900 troops

Last edited by cfmonkey45; March 28, 2017 at 12:40 AM.

The sun beat down upon Peithon's army as he approached their capital city of Hectompylos.

Sweat ran down inside his armor but Peithon did not slouch on his horse so to set an example to the rest of his men.

"This is ing hell."
    muttering to himself

Thought ruling the empire would be a lot more enjoyable than conquering it but its the opposite.

His aide-de-camp saluted

Shall we negotiate with the parthians, strategos?

No, these barbarians only understand one thing, force. We will attack with them while they celebrate their stupid rebellion. Celebrate while you can...

Now ready the army, we attack at once! No time for fear, only glory!"

Peithon the Somatophylake
    10 x Sogdian Cavalry
    26 Median Eastern Light Cavalry
    20 x Median Cavalry
    4 Alexanders Veterans
    2 Thessalian Cavalry
    16 Median Eastern Archers
    8 Median Eastern Axemen

8 x Arian Eastern Archers
    12 x Arian Eastern Levies
    8 x Arian Eastern Axemen
    Last edited by Aetius; April 05, 2017 at 12:38 AM.
    Blut und Boden

As the enemy approached, the Parthian chiefs under Sogdianus convened a great council. Though some advised waiting for their Persian allies to arrive, the general mood of the tribal assembly was to meet Peithon in the field and overwhelm him with arrows (roll passed). Thus, Sogdianus marched out of Hectompylos with his army and met Peithon on the plains in front of Hectompylos. The two armies gathered to face each other. The Parthian army was a typical eastern army with few great warriors, instead relying on numbers. Still, the cataphracts that lined up made a great impression on the Medians as the sun shone off their great armour and blinded their foes. They would prove their mettle well, Sogdianus thought, but he did not have enough of them. If only the tribal chieftains had not been so stingy, he lamented. But it was too late for that now. At his command, the Parthian skirmishers rode forward. Peithon quickly sent his skirmishers forward too.

Though the Parthians were famed for their horsearchers, this time it was not to be. As they surged forward to harass Peithon's army and archers, he sent forward his eastern light cavalry. Though they were mere unarmoured cavalrymen, the Parthian did not have much of a response, since their only cavalrymen with weapons to fight hand-to-hand with were their great cataphracts, which Sogdianus wished to save for the battle ahead. Thus, the eastern cavalry drove the Parthian horsearchers off, back to their own lines. However, Peithon's archers managed to do little as well, for they had only recently marched out of the desert and were still tired and thirsty. Both sides concluded the skirmish having little achieved, and they prepared for a true battle.

The end result was thus Inconclusive.

PEITHON: POOR ROLL, DEALT 9203.28 BP DAMAGE
    SOGDIANUS: POOR ROLL, DEALT 6018 DAMAGE

Peithon:
    -8x Eastern Archers
    -5x Eastern Light Cavalry

Sogdianus:
    - 15x Eastern Horsearcher

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

The Battle of Hectompylos

Situation: Big hills to the left and minor hills to the right, limiting maneouvrability of cavalry. A strange venue chosen by the Parthians for such a battle, but even this horse people know they are outnumbered in cavalry.
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...

The Battle of Hectompylos

Phase I:

As soon as the skirmish phase had ended, Sogdianus attacked. He knew Peithon had adopted many eastern ways but had figured he still adhered to the old Macedonian ways of infantry in the center and cavalry on the flanks, even though Peithon had little infantry. That is why he had chosen this battlefield, because the center was plains. In accordance with that, Sogdianus had put his cataphracts in the center, as well as most of his infantry and cavalry. Interestingly enough, Peithon was more eastern than Sogdianus had figured and had adopted the same plan. Still, Sogdianus was not swayed as he saw this, for it was too late to change plans. He blew the warhorns and the cataphracts, his companions, roared as they charged en masse towards Peithon, led by Sogdianus himself.

In the Center, the massive charge of Sogdianus, the cataphracts and the remaining Parthians sent shockwaves through the whole army, as many men were instantly killed by such a savage charge. Nobody had ever encountered such cavalrymen before and they at first crumpled like papyrus before these warriors, especially the Median cavalry that Peithon had put on his front and even Alexander's Thessalians were routed. Emboldened by this success, Sogdianus kept pushing further and further, desperate to find Peithon and kill him, but the charge of the cataphracts slowed down as more and more infantry surged in to stop them, until eventually they were halted. Peithon had managed to turn the tide here, causing a Pyrrhic Victory.

On Peithon's right, his cavalry only found unwashed masses of tribesmen. They did not even think this was worth a prolonged combat, and thus swiftly rode them down, leading to a Crushing Victory.

On Peithon's left, the fight was not so unsided, but likewise there were only unwashed masses of tribesmen with no cavalry. Peithon's cavalry flanked them and drove them back, but emboldened by the success of Sogdianus the tribesmen still held on. Here, Peithon was Winning.

Phase II:

However, with the flank being crushed and the other flank winning, Peithon sent his reserved Sogdian cavalry into the fray to flank the Parthians. As Sogdianus came to a stillstand, his cataphracts were cut down and the Sogdians slew many from behind. On the left flank the tribesmen of Peithon regained their confidence and attacked once more, routing the Parthians completely. Both in the center as the left, there were two Crushing Victories. Sogdianus himself managed to escape and with only his horse and a few retainers, he fled to Niphates, leader of the Persians.

Remaining:

Peithon:

ALEXANDER's Veterans 4
    Eastern Levies 11
    Eastern Axemen 13
    Median Cavalry 11
    Sogdian Cavalry 10
    ALEXANDER's Thessalians Cavalry 1
    Eastern Light Cavalry 21
    Median eastern archers 8

Parthians:
    Completely routed

Last edited by NotYetRegistered; April 05, 2017 at 01:17 PM.