Thread: Reason and Tradition: Landfall on the Shores of Belief

WhiskeySykes's Avatar Miles

Default Reason and Tradition: Landfall on the Shores of Belief

I don't know how interesting this will be, but as a follow up to the stickied poll above, I ask which method for believing in your conclusions is primary to you. This isn't a debate about which way is superior (both are flawed), rather its for us to share which is primary and a little about why, but really examine yourself before posting. Anyone can participate, of course. I'll go first.

I'm a traditionalist. Reason is secondary, or tertiary, in my faith. According to the Ety Online Dictionary, religion is loaned from the French religare, which formed after the Latin, meaning "to bind doubly over;" my religion is a double bond, to God and to man. I don't want to be "my own man," which is a slippery and dangerous conceit, where reason is primary in faith. This faith was trusted to me, indelibly linking me to my forebears, and making me who I am. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Shogun 2 Mods:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Reason and Tradition: Landfall on the Shores of Belief

I don't usually follow traditions, except maybe in a casual way every now and then however I respect the right of those that want to do it, as long as their tradition doesn't mean treating people as sub-human, for example the way certain people would treat the homosexuals.

Or some religious fanatic might think people of other faiths are lesser beings and need to be educated by the sword if necessary.

Or my grandma who only votes for one party because that's what the "family votes for".

Or being shunned by people for not following the christian fasting period.

So in a few words I respect traditional people as long as they respect my will to not follow what they do, which I guess is the epitome of reasonable?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

I dislike all traditions, they are dumb and annoying arbitrary restrictions whose time of usefulness has, in many cases, long passed. Hating traditions is kinda like my tradition: lol. What? You've never seen a hypocrite ramble on the internet before?
    Reason is not much better, one can hide one's base desire behind a well constructed screen of sophistry.
    Spontaneity and intuition are often undervalued virtues. It is passion that gives life actual meaning after all. All else are vain attempts at consolation for those suffering negative passions such as lost love, anger etc.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

WhiskeySykes's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    It is passion that gives life actual meaning after all. All else are vain attempts at consolation for those suffering negative passions such as lost love, anger etc.
    Hm, does that mean libertines just have daddy issues?
    Shogun 2 Mods:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeySykes View Post
    Hm, does that mean libertines just have daddy issues?
    No, they probably also have mommy issues.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell