Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aren't You Sick of Mass Media? [Break Up Media Oligopoly With Anti-Trust Actions?]

Default Aren't You Sick of Mass Media? [Break Up Media Oligopoly With Anti-Trust Actions?]

The media not only ran cover for Obama and kept any of the *numerous* scandals from gaining traction, they basically showered him with praise, in a North Korean style fashion-

In 2008, The Washington Post did a feature on Mr. Obama’s health, titled “As Duties Weigh Obama Down, His Faith in Fitness Only Increases.” The story included this crazy praiseworthy, googly-eyed line describing Mr. Obama’s physique: “The sun glinted off chiseled pectorals sculpted during four weightlifting sessions each week, and a body toned by regular treadmill runs and basketball games.”

I'm surprised they didn't make a song about "how great is our great leader!"

The mass media, the so-called 4th Estate, is nothing more than the public relations arm of the globalists and the leftists.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ld-hate-media/

We are entering an era where it is very clear why subscriptions to newspapers and viewership of TV media have plummeted to all-time lows. Most people are waking up to the fact that the media hates them, hates their culture, hates their nation, hates their Constitution, and is actively running cover for the dismantling of the nation.

Goring once remarked that "you can perpetrate a lie on the nation only for so long as you can shield the people from the consequences of the lie."

The American people are finally beginning to realize just how useless and worthless the corporate media truly is. We live in an era where less than 7 companies control *all* TV and radio media.

Should the Sherman Anti-Trust Act be used to break this oligopoly up into something more manageable, say 60 to 120 separate companies instead of less the present situation of less than seven?
    "God is, as man conceives Him, the reflected image of man himself." Albert Pike in Morals and Dogma (33° AASR)

Ignore list [to save time]-
    Ferrets54, Hanny, Harith, mongrel, Setekh, Gaidin, Bismarck1899, antaeus, empr guy, Enros, IronBrig4, The spartan, the_mango55, Sar1n,

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Default Re: Aren't You Sick of Mass Media? [Break Up Media Oligopoly With Anti-Trust Actions?]

Are you suggesting that a bunch of small news sources are going to be free from bias? They would still be beholden to the same need to earn money, the same focus groups telling them which stories sell advertising and same demographic audiences.

You sure that you're not just unhappy that the majority of news sources disagree with your world view?

There's only one way to guarantee news isn't affected by the need to reinforce viewers biases to sell advertising, that's to ban advertising and replace the income stream with something else that doesn't encourage news companies to preach to the converted.

State *cough* funding

Maybe this just highlights the need for a strongly financed independently run state owned media source to balance the private sector free for all?
    Last edited by antaeus; March 26, 2017 at 08:58 PM. Reason: There's your North Korean media...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Default Re: Aren't You Sick of Mass Media? [Break Up Media Oligopoly With Anti-Trust Actions?]

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantinePowerGame View Post
    The media not only ran cover for Obama and kept any of the *numerous* scandals from gaining traction, they basically showered him with praise, in a North Korean style fashion-

In 2008, The Washington Post did a feature on Mr. Obama’s health, titled “As Duties Weigh Obama Down, His Faith in Fitness Only Increases.” The story included this crazy praiseworthy, googly-eyed line describing Mr. Obama’s physique: “The sun glinted off chiseled pectorals sculpted during four weightlifting sessions each week, and a body toned by regular treadmill runs and basketball games.”

I'm surprised they didn't make a song about "how great is our great leader!"
    Well I mean to be fair, do you want to envision Trump working out shirtless?

In all seriousness though, yes the media does have a left-wing bias, but I'm not sure that government intervention is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    Are you suggesting that a bunch of small news sources are going to be free from bias? They would still be beholden to the same need to earn money, the same focus groups telling them which stories sell advertising and same demographic audiences.

You sure that you're not just unhappy that the majority of news sources disagree with your world view?

There's only one way to guarantee news isn't affected by the need to reinforce viewers biases to sell advertising, that's to ban advertising and replace the income stream with something else that doesn't encourage news companies to preach to the converted.

State *cough* funding

Maybe this just highlights the need for a strongly financed independently run state owned media source to balance the private sector free for all?
    It is entirely possible to take advertiser money without being the puppet of corporate interests and government elites in the pocket of corporations.

No, it's not.

We've already witnessed this week how even google have to change policy based on advertiser feedback.

When your business' viability depends on statistically veritable returns to your advertisers, then you have to respond to that by showing how you enable those returns. This means your news material can not conflict with your advertisers desires. That's just how it is.

Most news organisations exist, and have existed since deregulation, in order to make money from advertisers. None survive on subscription alone. Not Breitbart, not Fox, not the New York Times, not Guardian...

So all you can do is acknowledge this fact, and build checks and balances into the system. Strong regulation around journalistic standards etc.

Or ensure your state media is a strong counterbalance...

Indefinitely Banned

doesnt really matter; the mainstream media is ed, they have zero credibility with the young in the West, and no credibility with foreign consumers. Let me illustrate:

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    doesnt really matter; the mainstream media is ed, they have zero credibility with the young in the West, and no credibility with foreign consumers. Let me illustrate
    Plenty of young people are dumb enough to be buzzfeed readers.

Ahhh the old "that's all messed up because this other messed up thing says so" shtick.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RangerGxi View Post
    Plenty of young people are dumb enough to be buzzfeed readers.
    only the fat, purple haired incels would find much use out of buzzfeed. I stopped reading and watching a lot of their stuff a long time ago; sometimes they'll have decent stuff like the Try Guys but not much can be said of everything else.]

Ahhh the old "they're different to me so they must be *insert insult here*" shtick
    Last edited by antaeus; March 27, 2017 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Spelled shtick wrong. Stupid shtick.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

The mass media, the so-called 4th Estate, is nothing more than the public relations arm of the globalists and the leftists.
    Perhaps its UK-centric, but here its the complete opposite of what you've described, the vast majority of papers and media outlets, and also the most 'popular' ones are right-wing with heavy slants against immigration, social welfare etc. Ever heard of the Tory Press Barons? They, particularly Murdoch practically 'choose' the Prime Ministers as seen in Goves leaked texts.
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Aren't you sick of mass media? Break up oligopoly with anti-trust actions?
    Interesting. I agree with the title question of this thread (yes, I am sick of the mass media!), but completely disagree with the reasons posted by ByzantinePowerGame. In fact, the reason why I'm sick of the media is the exact opposite of the reasons ByzantinePowerGame gave.

What I see is the opposite: the mass media is nothing more than the public relations arm of a fascist, far-right, bigoted, hateful right wing agenda.

That said, I suppose I'm not necessarily disagreeing with ByzantinePowerGame directly, because it depends which country we're talking about. I suspect he has the USA in mind. I don't live in the USA, so I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the media in the country where I live. That said, from what I know of the USA media I think his OP is absurd hyperbolic nonsense. I can see no evidence that US media hates US culture; such claims usually come from close-minded white supremacists and racists who fantasise about the world being taken over by Islam without a shred of evidence to back it up. The real motive (for such claims) is usually some pretty unpleasant, regressive right wing racist views combined with ignorance, prejudice, a rejection of the modern world and a desire to return to the 1950s. In short, the same ideology as Donald Trump.
    Last edited by bigdaddy1204; March 27, 2017 at 07:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

"The media is nothing more than a tool of my ideological opponents" - Everyone.
    Why is everyone so stupid?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    Perhaps its UK-centric, but here its the complete opposite of what you've described, the vast majority of papers and media outlets, and also the most 'popular' ones are right-wing with heavy slants against immigration, social welfare etc. Ever heard of the Tory Press Barons? They, particularly Murdoch practically 'choose' the Prime Ministers as seen in Goves leaked texts.
    The existence of the BBC destroys your entire argument.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    The existence of the BBC destroys your entire argument.
    The same BBC who's internal reviews found a large bias against Corbyn?Like him, hate him or whatever that is an issue. The BBC is not 'left' wing it's pro-government at most. Particularly considering how much influence the Tories wield over it in terms of charter renewal and the directorship. Heck there's even the issue of political correspondents having links to Tory think tanks. Not to mention issues with until recently the complete lack of criticism of le Tories and particularly Mays many blatant mistakes.The BBC news service will always suck up to the governing party. Thus the only 'left' wing outlets are the guardian(ish), maybe the independent depending on the writer and the mirror. The real mass media, the most read and the most available belong to the right in the UK. And seriously you cannot tell me that Murdoch and the other Tory Press Barons do not have an undue and dangerous level of influence on UK politics? It can be convincingly argued that Labour under Blair only got in because they had Murdoch and co 'onside' due to Blair's policies being extremely similar to the center-rights.

Again as shown with Gove, it's clear who politicians rely on and kiss up to for position, it's not the BBC...It's the right-wing press barons.

That surely shows their influence in the UK particularly over left wing media outlets, and the pro-government BBC. They, the right-wing press barons are seen as the major king-makers.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dante Von Hespburg; March 27, 2017 at 11:36 AM.

The same BBC who's internal reviews found a large bias against Corbyn?Like him, hate him or whatever that is an issue. The BBC is not 'left' wing it's pro-government at most. Particularly considering how much influence the Tories wield over it in terms of charter renewal and the directorship. Heck there's even the issue of political correspondents having links to Tory think tanks. Not to mention issues with until recently the complete lack of criticism of le Tories and particularly Mays many blatant mistakes.The BBC news service will always suck up to the governing party. Thus the only 'left' wing outlets are the guardian(ish), maybe the independent depending on the writer and the mirror. The real mass media, the most read and the most available belong to the right in the UK. And seriously you cannot tell me that Murdoch and the other Tory Press Barons do not have an undue and dangerous level of influence on UK politics? It can be convincingly argued that Labour under Blair only got in because they had Murdoch and co 'onside' due to Blair's policies being extremely similar to the center-rights.

Again as shown with Gove, it's clear who politicians rely on and kiss up to for position, it's not the BBC...It's the right-wing press barons.

That surely shows their influence in the UK particularly over left wing media outlets, and the pro-government BBC. They, the right-wing press barons are seen as the major king-makers.

The BBC is a global corporation which tacitly promotes left wing social justice talking points and panders to "political correctness" whilst favouring the economic status quo. To this extent, it is distinctly Blairite (or pro-government as you put it). Ostensibly, it represents the views of the stereotypical middle class urbanite. This stance routinely puts the BBC at odds with "Brexiteers", Trump supporters and would-be Corbyn voters alike.

What it is not is "right wing".

Moderator Emeritus

The BBC is a global corporation which tacitly promotes left wing social justice talking points and panders to "political correctness" whilst favouring the economic status quo. To this extent, it is distinctly Blairite (or pro-government as you put it). Ostensibly, it represents the views of the stereotypical middle class urbanite. This stance routinely puts the BBC at odds with "Brexiteers", Trump supporters and would-be Corbyn voters alike.

What it is not is "right wing".
    Apologies if i didn't put it clearly ep1c, the BBC i called pro-government, i.e. whoever is in office, i didn't say it was right wing. More currently it's sympathetic to the Tory party, before it was Labour.

What is right-wing are the Tory press barons whose influence far exceeds the BBC in the UK is the case i was making. Shown both in current events in terms of shaping the debate of brexit for both sides and also acting as probably the key institution in electoral and party politics. Their agenda is very much consistent with traditional Conservative values, rhetoric et all, and Right-wing perspectives. Things the current Tory party are all about (not so much Cameron's version I'd admit). That's what makes UK politics dominated and shaped by the right in our political spectrum. The BBC by its very nature being a tactic government supporter (albeit in perhaps the same manner as someone with Stockholm syndrome is) is not on the same level as le Press barons in shaping public discourse.

Last edited by Dante Von Hespburg; March 27, 2017 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    Interesting. I agree with the title question of this thread (yes, I am sick of the mass media!), but completely disagree with the reasons posted by ByzantinePowerGame. In fact, the reason why I'm sick of the media is the exact opposite of the reasons ByzantinePowerGame gave.

What I see is the opposite: the mass media is nothing more than the public relations arm of a fascist, far-right, bigoted, hateful right wing agenda.

That said, I suppose I'm not necessarily disagreeing with ByzantinePowerGame directly, because it depends which country we're talking about. I suspect he has the USA in mind. I don't live in the USA, so I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the media in the country where I live. That said, from what I know of the USA media I think his OP is absurd hyperbolic nonsense. I can see no evidence that US media hates US culture; such claims usually come from close-minded white supremacists and racists who fantasise about the world being taken over by Islam without a shred of evidence to back it up. The real motive (for such claims) is usually some pretty unpleasant, regressive right wing racist views combined with ignorance, prejudice, a rejection of the modern world and a desire to return to the 1950s. In short, the same ideology as Donald Trump.

The amount of territory and the percentage of the world's population living under Islamic rule has increased greatly.

Personally I am still upset at what Islam did to Persia and to the Byzantine Empire.
    "God is, as man conceives Him, the reflected image of man himself." Albert Pike in Morals and Dogma (33° AASR)

Ignore list [to save time]-
    Ferrets54, Hanny, Harith, mongrel, Setekh, Gaidin, Bismarck1899, antaeus, empr guy, Enros, IronBrig4, The spartan, the_mango55, Sar1n,

Apologies if i didn't put it clearly ep1c, the BBC i called pro-government, i.e. whoever is in office, i didn't say it was right wing. More currently it's sympathetic to the Tory party, before it was Labour.
    You said that "the vast majority of papers and media outlets, and also the most 'popular' ones are right-wing with heavy slants against immigration". My point was that this is only true (and barely at that) if you ignore the BBC (clearly the biggest distributor of news in the UK), ITV and Channel 4.

What is right-wing are the Tory press barons whose influence far exceeds the BBC in the UK is the case i was making.
    Senior figures in the Mail and the Sun aren't "Tory press barons". The Tabloid's relationship with the Conservative Party was born out of their mutual dislike of Labour, but that is the only area in which their interests intersect.

Shown both in current events in terms of shaping the debate of brexit for both sides and also acting as probably the key institution in electoral and party politics. Their agenda is very much consistent with traditional Conservative values, rhetoric et all, and Right-wing perspectives. Things the current Tory party are all about (not so much Cameron's version I'd admit). That's what makes UK politics dominated and shaped by the right in our political spectrum. The BBC by its very nature being a tactic government supporter (albeit in perhaps the same manner as someone with Stockholm syndrome is) is not on the same level as le Press barons in shaping public discourse.
    The Conservative Party has done virtually nothing "consistent with traditional conservative values" other than accepting the outcome of the Brexit referendum - and I say "accepted" because a majority of Tory MP's (including both Cameron and May) were opposed to the United Kingdom leaving the EU prior to June 24th. They've not addressed the national debt, the ballooning welfare state, mass migration, increasing social disunity or the catastrophic decline of conservative voices in educational institutions. They've done nothing to promote the nuclear family, free speech, or fair capitalism.
    Last edited by Cope; March 27, 2017 at 07:59 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

You said that "the vast majority of papers and media outlets, and also the most 'popular' ones are right-wing with heavy slants against immigration". My point was that this is only true (and barely at that) if you ignore the BBC (clearly the biggest distributor of news in the UK), ITV and Channel 4.

Senior figures in the Mail and the Sun aren't "Tory press barons". The tabloids relationship with the Conservative Party was born out of their mutual dislike of Labour, but that is the only area in which their interests intersect.

The Conservative Party has done virtually nothing "consistent with traditional conservative values" other than accepting the outcome of the Brexit referendum - and I say "accepted" because a majority of Tory MP's (including both Cameron and May) were opposed to the United Kingdom leaving the EU prior to June 24th. They've not addressed the national debt, the ballooning welfare state, mass migration, increasing social disunity or the catastrophic decline of conservative voices in educational institutions. They've done nothing to promote the nuclear family, free speech, or fair capitalism.
    I shall have to get back to you in a few days time, as i am absolutely awful at using phones for replies, but some points. I think we both can argue about the levels of influence of BBC vs right wing media, you use mass availability where as I'm pointing to the daily mail, sun, telegraph et al and their ability to frame public discourse and choose the grounds for political debate.

Also Tory press barons are a legitimate term for the body of right wing media owners, who literally have a major degree of control over the encumbent government. Do you dispute their influence? I point to Murdoch and co as literal king makers in the political sphere and they being recognised as such by politicians. Again Gives leaked texts showed this.

In regards to UK Tories being of the 'right' I'd dispute that, they are indeed economically inept granted, i wont dispute that, but they have done their uptmost to butcher social welfare, and privatise anything that moves leaving millions up creek. Granted they favour multinational corporations and let them off with a great degree of lee-way, but that i would argue is more pragmatic, than ideological, given that national governments in most cases are now too weak to balance the power of multinational corporations, there vwas a very interesting discussion on this very thing if you'd like to analyse it yourself? But the essence, we have globalised trade and unlike any other period in history we lack the institutions to balance it, and to prevent Monopoly es forming.

So in all respects from my perspective as someone from I'd say the center left, the Tories very much are, particularly recently in rhetoric and action if the right. Also since when was freedom of speech a right wing belief? It's a tennant of my own beliefs as a 'leftie' and why i take great issue in right wing and left wing governments using faux excuses to increase surveillance and control discours, the snoopers charter being a horrific example in a UK context of the kind of thing we should be extremely angry about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast