Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promotion System

TrippinDaJive's Avatar Libertus

Default Promotion System

Hello! First and foremost, you and your team have created the most incredible mod I've ever played on this game! It is hands-down amazing! The beta for 1.2 is working almost perfectly and I haven't seen many issues at all!

My question is: How does the promotion system work? I've noticed that you cannot purchase rank promotions for the generals anymore and that they get promoted automatically. Yet I'd like to understand how the game determines the promotions. What can you do to manipulate that in-game?

Thank you!

Default Re: Promotion System

It's based on battles won and character age. To use Rome as an example:

Quaestor - at least 5 battles won and at least 30 years old
    Aedile - at least 10 battles won and at least 34 years old
    Praetor - at least 15 battles won and at least 39 years old
    Consul - at least 20 battles won and at least 42 years old
    Extended Consulship/Proconsul - one year after attaining the Consulship
    Censor - at least 30 battles won and at least 53 years old

TrippinDaJive's Avatar Libertus

Oh okay sounds simple enough. I appreciate your quick response!

Thanks Kolaris for responding, I appreciate it.

Battles won/age is the general premise, as Kolaris said.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

I haven't updated to 1.2 yet but this is rather unfortunate news. Characters should be advanced by effectively patrolling and governing provinces too. I casually role play this by advancing them after a new important building is constructed or they survive one of the infinite bribery attempts/other political scandals that are constantly spammed at you.

Looking at those Roman benchmarks I would have games where barely any characters could advance beyond a second promotion.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    I haven't updated to 1.2 yet but this is rather unfortunate news. Characters should be advanced by effectively patrolling and governing provinces too. I casually role play this by advancing them after a new important building is constructed or they survive one of the infinite bribery attempts/other political scandals that are constantly spammed at you.

Looking at those Roman benchmarks I would have games where barely any characters could advance beyond a second promotion.
    Ι can assure you my Roman characters assigned as Governors are advancing very nicely.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

So the promotions aren't gated/locked behind battles won then? Or are you fighting off helpless rebellions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    So the promotions aren't gated/locked behind battles won then? Or are you fighting off helpless rebellions?
    Very few. Maybe 1 or 2 in the beginning. The rest are just from governing.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Very few. Maybe 1 or 2 in the beginning. The rest are just from governing.
    That's simply not correct. Are you playing 1.2 and or some conflicting submod?

Quote Originally Posted by Daergar View Post
    That's simply not correct. Are you playing 1.2 and or some conflicting submod?
    Of course I'm playing with 1.2 (hardcore mod,harcore POP and 12tpy,True Legions and graphical mods mostly ) no conflicts and I have a very clean installation-setup.
    My faction leader is advancing as I said, with only 2-3 battles at the most cause I'm playing all the battles with my other two Generals.(I placed him in Rome from the start to have the extra boosts)
    I left him in Rome for around 70-80 turns and he is level 4 or 5 I think.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Cheers
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 21, 2017 at 01:26 PM.

I think Greek Strategos is talking about skill ranks, which can be advanced by governing a settlement. But political ranks definitely require battles won.

Yeah, we are talking about political ranks - which used to require age and then you could purchase it. Now they require battles and age instead.

Skills are left as they always were, you can advance as a governor or general.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolaris8472 View Post
    I think Greek Strategos is talking about skill ranks, which can be advanced by governing a settlement. But political ranks definitely require battles won.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Correct.
    Since that wasn't the question and only led to confusion, indeed worth a thumbs up, most amusing!

Senator

I wondered about the rank system too. I'm not overly pleased. It makes perhaps sense for the Roman republic or Carthage but less sense for factions with a king or so. He needs battles to be promoted by whom? And is not able to promote his relatives, sycophants, friends and lovers? It may not be possible but a lower number of battles needed plus an amount of money instead of the age would be better for such factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Daergar View Post
    Since that wasn't the question and only led to confusion, indeed worth a thumbs up, most amusing!
    I quite enjoy sarcasm as well, but since I haven't seen the word ''political'' anywhere, I assumed we're talking about advances in general.
    If you felt confused by a post (intended to help) then I'm sorry, here's a beer...
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 22, 2017 at 02:31 PM.

I agree that political rank should be more than battles. I also left my faction leader in Rome, since he had some governing skills. I was dismayed to find my faction political rank sinking and the opposition gaining the coveted promotions. I switched it of course and put my leader in a combat role, but I wish some level of promotion would happen without combat.

There was no technical way I could figure out to have it say "character x has been governing well for y turns, promote him". Perhaps with a scripting system that tracked a lot of data, but we already have a lot of those in the mod and are pushing the limit there. My compromise was to use what limited triggers we have for traits, specifically involving battles/age. I agree its not ideal, but I think its better than just buying promotions personally. Maybe there is a compromise where the first few levels could be bought and then the rest have to be earned in battle.

Is there a trigger for character skill rank?

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    There was no technical way I could figure out to have it say "character x has been governing well for y turns, promote him". Perhaps with a scripting system that tracked a lot of data, but we already have a lot of those in the mod and are pushing the limit there. My compromise was to use what limited triggers we have for traits, specifically involving battles/age. I agree its not ideal, but I think its better than just buying promotions personally. Maybe there is a compromise where the first few levels could be bought and then the rest have to be earned in battle.
    I don't have any problem with the current system. In fact I find it completely logical for Romans to have a little battling experience combined with governing skills and Senatorial career.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast