Thread: Question-The Balrog and Ents in Hotseat mode

Default Question-The Balrog and Ents in Hotseat mode

Me and my son are playing hotseat mode as all the factions. A few questions i have

1] How do we get the Balrog? I thought it appeared when Moria was attacked. My son is the orcs of the misty mountains. I assaulted and took moria, but the balrog did not appear. Is there something we are missing.

2] I am playing as rohan and have captured Fangorn for some time know. I have received 2 message saying the ents are returning home. But neither time i actually received a unit.

Thanks.

Default Re: Question-The Balrog and Ents in Hotseat mode

Hi,

1) The game and hotseats are twitchy affairs. Many scripts are based on "if the player is faction X then script Y kicks in". In a hotseat, two or more factions are "the player" so that risks to disturb scripts.
    In this case, since your son is OotMM the siege-spawn presumably [read, apperently] do not work - it's only meant to activate when OotMM is the AI.
    The player who is OotMM in a single player campaign must meet these requirments, and I presume it's the same in hotseat:
    Quote Originally Posted by TATW FAQ
    Q: Can I get the Balrog ?
    A:
    It is only possible when you play as the Orcs of the Misty Mountains. You need to construct Mithril Mines in Moria. This is only possible if you have upgraded Moria to a huge city. Furthermore it is not possible to resurrect the Balrog before turn 90.
    2) As above, scripts might simply not work.
    Suggest you ask the experienced hotseaters in the Multiplayer section's Questions & Help-thread, here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...cussion-Thread

GL

Isildur and Anárion preview out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod
    | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI |Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection

The Sundering
    - a M2 Warhammer Total War experience

Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

2) I can't see how you'd see the message if Ents were never spawned into Fangorn in the first place. The only possibility would be that they spawned into there while you didn't own it. The whole script is based on the assumption that it is NOT hotseat so really it's not going to work properly in a number of ways, even if they ever did spawn for you. I assume you're playing vanilla TATW 3.2, not some other version or submod.

EDIT: ah! If Fangorn's garrison was full then no Ents would appear as there's no room for them. But you should have still seen the "Ents Reinforcements" message.
    Last edited by Withwnar; March 17, 2017 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Hi,

1) The game and hotseats are twitchy affairs. Many scripts are based on "if the player is faction X then script Y kicks in". In a hotseat, two or more factions are "the player" so that risks to disturb scripts.
    In this case, since your son is OotMM the siege-spawn presumably [read, apperently] do not work - it's only meant to activate when OotMM is the AI.
    The player who is OotMM in a single player campaign must meet these requirments, and I presume it's the same in hotseat:

2) As above, scripts might simply not work.
    Suggest you ask the experienced hotseaters in the Multiplayer section's Questions & Help-thread, here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...cussion-Thread

GL
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    2) I can't see how you'd see the message if Ents were never spawned into Fangorn in the first place. The only possibility would be that they spawned into there while you didn't own it. The whole script is based on the assumption that it is NOT hotseat so really it's not going to work properly in a number of ways, even if they ever did spawn for you. I assume you're playing vanilla TATW 3.2, not some other version or submod.

EDIT: ah! If Fangorn's garrison was full then no Ents would appear as there's no room for them. But you should have still seen the "Ents Reinforcements" message.
    Yes we are using 3.2 the garrison is not full but thank you.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Aha! I believe that they did spawn but then were script-killed (and "gone home" message shown) all in the same turn/round; too fast for you to see them.

They only hang around for about 10 turns normally. That is, 10 player turns. As all factions are the player (about 13?) by the time your Rohan turn comes back around the Ents have been and gone (3 turns ago). Some of the other factions would have seen them in Fangorn in that time, if they'd happened to look there.

Hoteast-compatible scripts can be difficult to write, sometimes impossible. I know for a fact that TATW didn't even attempt it. e.g. From memory the ageing doesn't work properly in TATW.
    Last edited by Withwnar; March 18, 2017 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Aha! I believe that they did spawn but then were script-killed (and "gone home" message shown) all in the same turn/round; too fast for you to see them.

They only hang around for about 10 turns normally. That is, 10 player turns. As all factions are the player (about 13?) by the time your Rohan turn comes back around the Ents have been and gone (3 turns ago). Some of the other factions would have seen them in Fangorn in that time, if they'd happened to look there.

Hoteast-compatible scripts can be difficult to write, sometimes impossible. I know for a fact that TATW didn't even attempt it. e.g. From memory the ageing doesn't work properly in TATW.

ahhh,i see.Thanks.

alreadyded's Avatar Work up a #6 on 'em!

Certain things cannot even be made hotseat compatible so they need to be remade or removed. I made my campaigns hotseat compatible but it took awhile to make it happen, I only play hotseat though so I made them HS compatible from the start and I had wanted to remove those certain aspects of M2TW and TATW anyway. You wouldn't be able to simply copy/paste my stuff into vanilla either since they are not compatible. So basically if it wasn't made HS compatible to begin with it probably is not worth the effort. If you like TATW as is don't bother with HS compatibility.

The problem specific to this thread is actually easy to fix (not saved game compatible though), however there would be many other problems just in these Balrog and Ent scripts alone so fixing it would just lead you down a dark path to destruction known as... modding.
    Last edited by alreadyded; March 18, 2017 at 03:38 PM.