Thread: A Fort Problem

Default A Fort Problem

Hello there !

I've been playing this wonderful mod for some time now, and I've just come across an unexpected difficulty. I'm playing as the Dwarves in vanilla 3.2, and it's looking good. I've taken Moria, which was promptly taken back by Mordor through an invasion. I'm trying to take it back at the moment.

I've traded Amon Sûl for Ost-in-Edhil with Arnor in order to have a clear path to Isengard's lands, which will probably be my next targets. However, there is a fort standing between Ost-in-Edhil and the Moria, which for some reason is 'owned' by Arnor, with no units garrisoned. It would prevent me to go 'straight' between Moria and Ost-in-Edhil, forcing my troops to do a 5-6 turns overhead each way. A bit of a logistic nightmare you'll agree.

I haven't find a way to "peacefully" take back that fort. Is there some ? I'd like not to wage war on Arnor, as they are my allies with a near perfect relationship (but will do it if there's no other option). I'm all hears for any tip you might have, as long as it stays in 'gameplay' !

Huge thanks to the modders and the community, The Third Age is really amazing !

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: A Fort Problem

If it was garrisoned then you could try and bribe it; if not garrisoned then bribing never works that I've seen.

The Total Diplomacy submod lets you do it but it's not save game compatible so that's no help in this campaign. (But may be very useful in future ones.)

What you could do is capture it and then follow these instructions to get your alliance and standings back. The red line in that example would need replacing with these lines:

Code:
    console_command diplomatic_stance moors turks allied
    set_faction_standing turks moors 0.9

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Hmm, a speculation but perhaps it could be possible to, through the control panel, move an enemy general or captain into the fort, making the fort theirs and therefore a free target?
    A plan B if Withwnar's does not do it for you (presume it will, but this just jumped to my mind); make a save before you do this if you want to, fn1r.

To bring up the control panel, push ~ or ö or whatever may be your key binding for it.
    Put your arrow over the fort and type show_cursorstat and press enter
    That gives you the cordinates for the fort.

Look up an enemy force and who leads it. It's easier if a general (but some special characters like the nazguls won't work) but captains are fine.
    In the console, for geneal type in move_character NAME cordinates (for example: move_character Bob 22,,647)
    Or in case of captain, type move_character captain NAME cordinates (for example: move_character Captain Bob 100,79)
    Press enter and the enemy army should be teleported to the fort, hopefully making it theirs in the process
    Last edited by Ngugi; March 16, 2017 at 06:13 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

That would just put them on top of it, not inside it. You could place an enemy of Eriador next to it and hope they walk in (because it's ungarrisoned) - then it's theirs and now it's ripe for the attacking.

Not likely then, as the AI always seems to ignore empty forts I'm afraid.
    No plan B then! ^^

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Thanks for the tips guys !

Would you classify that inconvenience as a bug ? I'm reluctant to use "god-like" solutions to patch strange gameplay design. Might as well deal with it

You're welcome

No, it's not a bug, since it works as intended: a faction can take over a fort in another factions region. It is however bad game design on M2's part that it remains owned when not garrisoned, and problematic design on TATW's part with the fort blocking the way. So it's proper to do what you have to (what Withwnar suggests), to amend it

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    For future camapigns, if you want to prevent it ever happening again, you can remove that fort. Open descr_strat.txt found in .../Medival II Total War/mods/Third_Age_3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign
    Look up this:
    Code:
    region Misty-Mountains_Province
    farming_level 0
    famine_threat 0
    fort     176 217 stone_fort_d culture northern_european
    ;WORKING (graben)

and block it out with a bracket (marked in red):
    Code:
    ; region Khazad_Dum_Province
    ; farming_level 0
    ; famine_threat 0
    ; fort     176 217 stone_fort_d culture northern_european
    ;WORKING (graben)

In new camapigns there will be no fort there.

Note:
    In case you intend to play hotseat, backup any files before you edit them, otherwise hotseats may not work. May be the same for multiplayer battles, though that seem less likely. Better safe than sorry, ofc.

Alright. Since it's not a bug, I will try and deal with it using good ol' game-play. Let's say it adds some challenge

Once again, thank you both for the help !

I honestly don't think it has to be that complicated. If I know that a game mechanic is nonsensical, such as a allied fort not allowing you to cross a river, or not allowing you to go through the mountains, I just move my character around it. For example,

1)March your army up to the fort you want to move past
    2)Open the console using the tilde next to the 1 key on an english keyboard.
    3)Place your cursor directly on the bridge
    4)Type "show_cursorstat" into the console (without the quotes), and hit enter. You'll get two numbers, for example 250,250.
    5)Once you see the coordinates, without exiting the console, mouse over your captain to get his name. Aragorn, perhaps.
    6)Type "move_character Aragorn 250,250" without the quotes again.

Now your captain will move onto the bridge that is directly past the fort. As long as you don't abuse it, it's not really cheating. You know if an ally would let you march past or not, so just go around the game in scenarios that are irritating like that. No need to march 6 turns around or declare war on an ally.