Thread: Taiping Rebellion for FOTS

WhiskeySykes's Avatar Miles

Default Taiping Rebellion for FOTS

There any interest in a Taiping Rebellion overhaul of FOTS? I was just thinking about it over a smoke, and its killer. From the wiki:

The rebellion began under the leadership of Hong Xiuquan (1814–64), a disappointed civil service examination candidate who, influenced by Christian teachings, had a series of visions and believed himself to be the son of God, the younger brother of Christ, sent to reform China. A friend of Hong's, Feng Yunshan, utilized Hong's ideas to organize a new religious group, the God Worshippers’ Society (Bai Shangdi Hui), which he formed among the impoverished peasants of Guangxi province. In 1847 Hong joined Feng and the God Worshippers, and three years later he led them in rebellion. On January 1, 1851, he proclaimed his new dynasty, the Taiping Tianguo (“Heavenly Kingdom of Great Peace”), and assumed the title of Tianwang, or “Heavenly King.”

All the elements to be one bad. ass. stomp. Basically Dune in 19th century China. I figure, if the missions and instances are done right, it could be glorious... There's enough material for CA to make a full scenario, and with the availability of information, there's no reason a few of us couldn't make it happen. I want to finish MoA /Onin Kassen first, but this will likely be my next project. If there's any interest, let me know; I'll hit the storyboard with a few ideas.
    Shogun 2 Mods:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Taiping Rebellion for FOTS

Definitely. I'm a big fan of civil war settings - they make the most sense with the 'conquer everything' objectives of TW. This would be very unique.

I'm always welcome with this kind of overhauls; however, the problem is most of the time these kind of great mods are too ambitious to be an one-man show, ended up unfinished. This kind of undertaking need a complete dedicated team, which are hard to get the members for on older games.

For this mod, you most definitely need a good modeller, texturer, and scripter for instance. I believe you can do campaign mapping, startpos, and database editing - but creating a wholly-new setting means loads and loads of work, even for those you're good on, you'll need a helping hand.

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    I'm always welcome with this kind of overhauls; however, the problem is most of the time these kind of great mods are too ambitious to be an one-man show, ended up unfinished. This kind of undertaking need a complete dedicated team, which are hard to get the members for on older games.

For this mod, you most definitely need a good modeller, texturer, and scripter for instance. I believe you can do campaign mapping, startpos, and database editing - but creating a wholly-new setting means loads and loads of work, even for those you're good on, you'll need a helping hand.
    I couldn't agree more: this needs a team. That's why I asked if there was any interest.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

MRENGLISHRULES's Avatar Tiro

This is already being made in the form of Total FOTS. It already has the inclusion of modern western powers into a modded campaign map and will also soon add Korea into the map. After that is done, the mod plans to expand into all of Asia at the time of the Taiping Rebellion. It will take time for the small mod team to do but at least the idea is being worked on.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...216-Total-FotS

I always wanted to lead the "Ever Victorious Army" to inconclusive victories and ignoble defeat.

But I too would suggest you guys join up with Total FOTS, I think their "Scramble for Asia"-project would pretty much suit your needs and with some of the stuff from "morning sun" you're as good as set.

Not only Korea, but China as well? Glorious! ...

All this on one map? Seems porting the art, data tables, and such to Empire would better suit the scope. Each country would be it's own theatre. I'm sure that's all been considered, though.
    Shogun 2 Mods: