Thread: How do you appoint governors?

Senator

Default How do you appoint governors?

I can see AI Roman governors in their provinces, but i can't work out how i'm meant to appoint any myself as Carthaginians.

Default Re: How do you appoint governors?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadd View Post
    I can see AI Roman governors in their provinces, but i can't work out how i'm meant to appoint any myself as Carthaginians.
    So there are dignitaries and "generals-as-governors".

Dignitaries are recruited like spies and champions, and you just deploy them in the province you need them. By this, I mean you click a city, click the little face button that says "Recruit Agent" and choose from the agents available.

Generals-as-governors you recruit as per a normal general, but then leave him to garrison a city (without any troops). By this, I mean you click a city, click the little banner button that says "Raise Forces" and choose from the available generals, then click "raise army".

There is no governor in Rome 2 like there is in Attila.

*edited for clarity
    Last edited by Epanastatis; October 24, 2018 at 06:39 PM.

I’m on turn 250 as Rome and haven’t appointed any generals-as-governors. Wouldn’t that subtract from your available armies?

*just saw your edit lol

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPolack View Post
    I’m on turn 250 as Rome and haven’t appointed any generals-as-governors. Wouldn’t that subtract from your available armies?

*just saw your edit lol
    It subtracts from your available armies in the sense that you can't use that army on campaign, but the benefits it provides way surpass the benefit of an extra army (in my mind).

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Epanastatis View Post
    So there are dignitaries and "generals-as-governors".

Dignitaries are recruited like spies and champions, and you just deploy them in the province you need them. By this, I mean you click a city, click the little face button that says "Recruit Agent" and choose from the agents available.

Generals-as-governors you recruit as per a normal general, but then leave him to garrison a city (without any troops). By this, I mean you click a city, click the little banner button that says "Raise Forces" and choose from the available generals, then click "raise army".

There is no governor in Rome 2 like there is in Attila.

*edited for clarity
    Thanks for the explanation. What building do you need to recruit dignitaries?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadd View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. What building do you need to recruit dignitaries?
    No building required - they're locked behind research. Dignitaries are unlocked by researching the first 'block' in the philosophy branch of the civil tech tree.

What benefits do they grant exactly? Or is it those from their ability tree?

Quote Originally Posted by guto8797 View Post
    When deployed on a province they increase tax rate. When attached to an army they reduce upkeep costs. That's their base utility at level 1. Then their skill trees upgrade their management capabilities with things like cultural conversion, even more tax rate, reduced banditry, public order, reduced empire maintenance, research rate... They also get additional cultural conversion traits natively, so it is a good idea to deploy them in provinces you recently conquered.

Over time, you should rotate governors between increasing tax rate/converting culture to attaching them to armies. Having a governor attached to an army will give it a buff passively increasing tax rate over time (5% increments) while having the governor increasing tax rate will give a cultural conversion bonus (+2 increments).

Having a governor incite unrest on a settlement gives a strange buff, Cultural Propaganda ( +x to cultural conversion). I'm not sure how this applies in game.

Quote Originally Posted by kpagcha View Post
    When deployed on a province they increase tax rate. When attached to an army they reduce upkeep costs. That's their base utility at level 1. Then their skill trees upgrade their management capabilities with things like cultural conversion, even more tax rate, reduced banditry, public order, reduced empire maintenance, research rate... They also get additional cultural conversion traits natively, so it is a good idea to deploy them in provinces you recently conquered.
    I meant the generals-as-governors. I usually deploy dignitaries whenever I can.

Base function improves public order and tax rate (dependent of course on their traits)

With skills, they can be expanded to further improve PO, increase culture conversion, increase income from multiple streams, increase food, basically whatever effects you can see in the skill tree.

They also get experience passively from being garrisoned, so you can unlock skills by leaving them to "govern" - no need to send them out campaigning (unless you want to for RP purposes)

Quote Originally Posted by devu View Post
    Over time, you should rotate governors between increasing tax rate/converting culture to attaching them to armies. Having a governor attached to an army will give it a buff passively increasing tax rate over time (5% increments) while having the governor increasing tax rate will give a cultural conversion bonus (+2 increments).
    Oh wow I didn't know this. Although I am sure having deploying a dignatary in a province is more profitable than attached to an army, perhaps having him doing this for a while just for that % tax rate trait (and then back to deploy) is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by guto8797
    Their benefits are essentially those they get through skill tree (especially useful the Capable Bureaucrat and Rightful Sovereign branches) and political rank, and less impactful, traits. Additionally, garrisoning your faction leader in your capital (or having him as a politician) gives special boni (depending on how good a leader he is), some of those even factionwide.

Pay attention to skills, that reduces EM for both generals-as-governors and dignitaries. In late game they gives big income bonus.

EM?

Quote Originally Posted by kpagcha View Post
    EM?
    Empire maintenance. There are some skills, that reduce EM. In blue and probably red trees.