Thread: 100% World Dom - The Rise of French Canada

Default 100% World Dom - The Rise of French Canada

Concept behind this campaign is to play as Quebec, assuming a role as "friendly Canadians" who are friends with the natives, welcome people of diverse backgrounds, maintaining a firm border against the US, while eschewing the formal European rigidity. Of course, bringing people together through conquest.

On the first playthrough, I will defer to the ETF 2.1 Quebec = Monarchy, although I do intend to try this at some point as a Republic or Constitutional Monarchy, not sure which just yet - probably Republic. I am actually considering doing this as a "starting campaign revolution".

Premise - Frustrated with following the commands of the increasingly out-of-touch French and British governments, the independent nation of Quebec has declared independence, offering great benefits to soldiers, shipbuilders, scientists and simple immigrants to join their great nation both in their new homeland of Canada or in the conquered regions around the world. Leadership follows the ideals of greatness as defined by Napoleon, Cyrus the Great and Genghis Khan, who all found ways to recruit armies in the places they were conquering by offering a new form of government and superior standards of living and freedom of thought and religion. If anyone is familiar with the French Foreign Legion, there's a bit of that flavor in here too. Fighters in the Legion come from just about anywhere and might not speak French, but they are brought into the fold anyways. If the French Foreign Legion was a country called Quebec, that's kind of what you might see.

Armies will be culturally diverse and feature units from populations that are common in Eastern Canada in our modern age. That would include Polish, Indian and Middle-Eastern units as well as expatriated units from France, Britain and to a lesser extent, Spain. More French units will be present due to the ease of integration for francophones. Units restricted to Europe/Middle East will be available, but regions will be respected.

MOD Details
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ETF 2.1 (at least for now with no changes to the Startpos - although I'd really like to add that Warpath general - Wahunsonacock)
    + modified "inclusionary" unit roster (I can share this with you if you would like, but you *must* have Warpath DLC - no public link)

UNavailable:
    Standard Line Infantry and Colonial Line Infantry, standard light cavalry and colonial Militia
    French East India Company units
    Conventional Cavalry units

Added units - Americas:
    North American Heavy Frigate
    Arquebusiers, Settlers, French Marines (with buff to marines, hey, they are *marines*!)
    All non-gunpowder Warpath Units and native units except tribesmen. Arranged into tiers. Oddly, Cheyenne Dog Soldiers don't require gun trading tech, so they are OK.
    Guerillas & Cazadores (I might remove these later)
    Royal Deux Ponts
    Select Marksmen (Tirailleurs are already present by ETF)
    Episodic Pikemen (added pike square to true and normalized all pikemen stats to 9 3 9 and increased recruitment buildings to: __)

Added units - Europe:
    Razee
    Steam Ship (French)
    Cossack units (in Europe only)
    Bosniaks
    Highlanders
    Highland Clansmen
    Miquelets
    Royal Welch

Added units - Mid-East & India:
    Dahomeys
    Ghoorkas
    Tatars (and Armenian Archers if I can find them)
    Riskers of Souls (region - camels)

CHANGES:
    Note the following comment from EmperorBatman999: The Plains tribes should have great cavalry but weak infantry. Iroquois have more money and have cannons, Cherokee should have strong musket units and riflemen units. The Huron should have strong foot troops while the Pueblo,
    Therefore, Iroquois units have higher limits overall, Huron next, Plains tribes have lower limits on infantry, but higher on cavalry, etc...
    Warpath units organized better:
    There are three tiers of native units now. Tier 1 (basic native units and not-so-great WP units). These are available from the minor buildings and lowest level buildings. Tier 2 (strong native units, good, but not best WP units) and Tier 3 (BEST WP units - given a turn recruitment time of 2 turns and a limit of ~25 units in game).

Archery Changes and Thoughtcrafting Notes:

I've re-thought the way this works. I was thinking about Mongol archers. They actually used rather short bows and they were able to fire accurately at medium range from horseback. Contrast that with the famed English Longbowman, who fired fairly inaccurately via indirect fire at longer range than muskets. Therefore, I think increasing the ammo makes sense, but *lowering* the range, not raising it makes more sense. Longbows could fire over 300 yard, but 220-250 was more common in "good" archers. Historians figure that effective indirect fire during combat would be around 180 yards by trained longbowmen, so I'm comfortable with 115 Range on Euro Longbows. Perhaps they aren't as amazing as the actual English Yew Longbows, but natives are strong and most had grown up with bows as common tools.

I might have to look at the Horse Archers and "can shoot while running".

If I can create some new weapons, I could create various different ranges for the different archer units.
    These are the bow types that I imagine:
    Euro Short Bow - Range: 85 (used by the few remaining archer units in the East, ie Tatars)
    Hunting Bow - Range: 95 (this is almost the same range from original ETW, used by standard foot archers, both in Europe and the natives, but also by Elite Mounted Archers- choosing the weapons they are most accustomed to)
    Hunting Longbow - Range 105 (this is used by Elite Foot Archer units, preferentially higher accuracy, lower body count units, skirmishers)
    Euro Long Bow - Range: 115 (this is used by Elite Foot Archer Infantry units (low accuracy) with Euro doctrine)

The intention here is to actually keep the archer units a bit longer range than the muskets (which is historically accurate). As the range of the weapon goes up, the accuracy should go down. Additionally, as the accuracy of the weapon increases, it might even make sense to decrease the reloading skill. This slows the rate of fire, thus replicating the idea that this unit prepares its shots more carefully.

*IF* I can figure out how to do this, this means that I would work with the following units:
    Bowmen (Standard tribal native bowmen, shirtless) - using Short bows, R:80, very poor defense/armor, and plentiful ammo... but let's give them a tiny bit more morale... they aren't cowards, but they do know how to fight with guerilla type tactics, so why not let them Skirmish... a tactical retreat isn't the same as running away. This unit would be enabled for the lowest level buildings in the Americas. T1

Native Bowmen Hunters (standard Euro/native bowmen) - using Hunting Bows, R:95, defense/armor around the same as Line Infantry with the idea that the Europeans have traded quality clothing (seen in their cards and on their person) while they keep using their own Hunting Bows. These units would be Skirmishers, not allowed stakes and no earthworks/fougasse. Morale would be higher, but still not amazing. Accuracy would be very good, firing rate a little slow, ammo plentiful (able to make their own remember). These would be the 60 man version, but I think a good answer to 90 range skirmishers of the time. T2, limit 25

Native Bowmen Skirmishers (standard Euro/native bowmen) - using Euro Longbows, R:115, defense/armor around the same as Line Infantry with the idea that the Europeans have traded quality clothing (seen in their cards and on their person) and let them use excess Longbows which are no longer desired by European nations and are sold cheaply. With experience from an archery-centric society, they should be able to use the Longbows fairly well, but not as comfortably as the Hunting Bows. These units would be Skirmishers and require both Euro Doctrine AND Light Infantry tactics, allowed stakes, but no earthworks/fougasse. Morale would be higher. Accuracy would be above average, firing rate fairly slow, ammo decent (able to make their own remember). These would be the 60 man version, just below the Riflemen level of tech in terms of research, but I think a good answer to 90 range Light Infantry of the time. T3, limit 15

Native Bowmen Militia (same appearance as Euro/native bowmen) - using Euro Short Bows, R: 85, defense/armor between Colonial Militia and Line, but note that these would be lower quality soldiers. They would still be OK, but would be relying on indirect fire, much as a Colonial Militia unit, but with arrows. Significantly lower accuracy, but faster firing rate and moderate ammo. These guys would be a bit less motivated and might run out of ammo fairly quickly, thus leaving them in an awkward position, potentially as meat shields They would be more like a cross between a skirmish unit and Line. They would require European Doctrine tech. This unit has 120 men, limit 40.

Native Bowmen Regiment (same appearance as Euro/native bowmen) - using Euro Longbows, R:115, defense/armor about the same as Line Infantry, but note that these would be a bit lower quality soldiers. They would still be decent, but as archers, they would be relying on indirect fire, but with arrows. Somewhat lower accuracy, but faster firing rate and moderate ammo. These guys would be a bit less motivated and might run out of ammo fairly quickly, thus leaving them in an awkward position, potentially as meat shields They would be more like a cross between a skirmish unit and Line. They would require European Doctrine tech. This unit isn't particularly strong, but has good range and would be a great way to push battles into happening, but can't be mustered in large numbers. This unit has 120 men, limit 10. They are scarce, but useful.

Updated:
    Mohawk Elite Warriors Tier3, Unit size to 120 men, melee attack to 12, morale to 9, ammo to 25, accuracy to 60 - Hunting Longbows R:105
    Muscogee Tribesmen, Tier3, morale to 9, ammo to 30, accuracy to 70 - Hunting Longbows, reload speed slower?

All mounted archers in game ammo increased to 30 for Euro and 50 for native. Taking 20-30 arrows for a deer hunt makes sense. Not going to war. On a horse.
    Also, limit of 30, not 40.
    Mescalero Warriors Tier2, add scares enemies, resistant to morale shock - Hunting Bows, R: 95
    Ojibwa Horse Warriors Tier2, add resistant to morale shock, unit size to 60, scares enemies - Hunting Bows, R: 95
    Crow Horse Warriors Tier3, add resistant to morale shock, inspires - Hunting Bows, R: 95
    Navajo Scout Warriors Tier2, add resistant to morale shock - Hunting Bows, R: 95

I'm going to sleep on these changes and see if I like the way the numbers sit. This is my third revision of the numbers, so I'm undecided yet.

Old notes for reference:

Tier1 - Archers all increased range to 85
    Tier2 - Archers all increased range to 95
    Tier3 - Archers all increased range to 110
    Petun Wolf Warriors increased to Tier3, added Inspires (already scares enemies), scares horses and resistant to morale shock.
    Ojibwa Warriors Increased to Tier3, added scares enemies and resistant to morale shock.
    Blackfoot Blood Warriors, Tier2, attack to 14, added scares enemies and resistant to morale shock.
    Medicine Men Tier 3, added resistant to morale shock, unit size to 60, increased stats to ___
    Warrior Society Tier3, added resistant to morale shock, +2 ammo, accuracy to 60, reloading skill to 60, resistant to morale shock
    Winnebago Warriors Tier2, added resistant to morale shock, +1 ammo, Unit size to 120
    Atakapa Elite Warriors Tier2, added resistant to morale shock, inspires
    Mohawk Elite Warriors Tier3, Unit size to 120 men, melee attack to 12, morale to 9, ammo to 25, accuracy to 60
    Muscogee Tribesmen, Tier3, morale to 9, ammo to 30, accuracy to 70

All mounted archers in game ammo increased to 30 for Euro and 50 for native. Taking 20-30 arrows for a deer hunt makes sense. Not going to war. On a horse.
    Also, limit of 30, not 40.
    Mescalero Warriors Tier2, add scares enemies, resistant to morale shock
    Ojibwa Horse Warriors Tier2, add resistant to morale shock, unit size to 60, scares enemies
    Crow Horse Warriors Tier3, add resistant to morale shock, inspires
    Navajo Scout Warriors Tier2, add resistant to morale shock

Cheyene Dog Soldiers Tier 3, ammunition to 25 (higher capacity, but lower availability, not like the arrows that the archers make themselves)

Episodic units are units from the tutorial campaign. They are not well-matched to the main game itself. I've changed them a bit to make them make more sense.
    Jamestown Settlers --> Settlers. These guys replace colonial Militia in the Americas. Limit of 20 changed to a limit of 40.
    French Marines --> These guys replace standard Line Infantry. However, because they are in the episodics, they are underpowered, I need to adjust these guys up a bit, maybe read up a little on how strong they actually were.
    Episodic Rangers (probably won't add these guys)

Government (Startpos edits):

Note: Quebec might own Louisiana. Historically, France sent d'Iberville to establish a fort there in 1699. If d'Iberville is a general for Quebec, then it would make sense that Louisiana would have become Quebec, not France... d'Iberville was born in Montreal, so it makes sense that he might indeed side with Quebec.

MONARCHY - Francois-Louis de Buade de Frontenac - Son of Louis de Buade de Frontenac - son of the impetuous Count Frontenac and Anne de La Grance Trianon. Estranged from his father until his death in 1698, Francois-Louis was inspired to travel to New France, where he quickly discovered the great respect his father had held. In the face of the tepid and disinterested leadership of Louis-Hector de Calliere, he decided to take action. Following in the footsteps of his father's military instincts, forceful, dominant personality but kind heart, he mustered a small military force of local natives hopeful of his words of peace and colllaboration, along with many of the French speaking habitants, presenting himself as the first King of Quebec. With popular support behind him, Governor Louis-Hector de Calliere had no choice but to acquiesce and the new regency began. Calliere as the head of government? Or possibly as a general?

Count Frontenac was the Governor-General at 1690. Strong defensive general, clever chap. Prevented all major military incursions (even though pretty lucky to do so) in 1690-1700ish. Died in 1698.

Alternate: Constitutional Monarchy? Perhaps the same story, but with Louis-Hector de Calliere suggesting a compromise with Francois-Louis the King and Louis-Hector in Government at head?

Alternate: Republic - Same basic story, but with Louis-Hector de Calliere as the president against a defeated Francois-Louis, who nonetheless serves as a general.

Louis-Hector de Calliere - Reputation of disinterestedness, honor, honesty, valour and decency. He was well-spoken of by his predecessor Frontenac. Chief claim to fame was his treaty of Montreal, aka the Great Peace of Montreal, where he successfully negotiated first a preliminary treaty in September 1700 with the 5 Iroquois nations, then followed by an unprecedented treaty agreed to unanimously by 40 First Nations, including the Iroquois, Mohawk, Cree, Petun, Ojibwe, Algonquians, Odawa, Kickapoo and of course the Onondaga, who hosted the event.
    The intent of this agreement was also to achieve harmony among the tribes to end ethnic in-fighting. The Huron and the Algonquin had already been allied for a long time and had been working with the French against the Iroquois.
    Add the fictional idea of the hope to unite all the tribes under one governmental identity with which to deal with competing nations in Europe.

It might be worth adjusting unit limits to reflect the existing cooperations between the Huron and Algonquins, along with the enthusiasm of the Iroquois to achieve peace, with significantly less enthusiastic participation by outlying areas (somewhat fictionalized here due to Pueblo and Plains, Southern tribes not really being a part of this, but included because I can't change the timing of involvement).

From Wikipedia: The French, in negotiating followed their traditional policy in the Americas, where their relationship with some of the natives was characterized by mutual respect and admiration and based on dialogue and negotiation. "Spanish civilization crushed the Indian; English civilization scorned and neglected him; French civilization embraced and cherished him"
    — Francis Parkman
    Generals:

Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac (exploitative, but cunning, trapper, explorer, alcohol trader...) - Frontier General, Blood Brother? I think not. Contrary Brave?
    Claude de Ramezay - Cavalryman who tended horses in France and served as a colonial regular before being promoted to captain. Very average guy, but held a high rank, as commander of the entire regular troop force.

Joseph-Francois Hertel de Rouville - the Father - brutal and vengeful against the Indians, but respectful because of his value on the lesson of toughness, something he brought to his later life and to the sons he raised. Surprise attacks. Hero of the armies. Got stuck in - turned the tide in a fort defense with just 16 men, including 2 of his ten sons.

Zacharie-Francois Hertel (1665-1752) Eldest son of Joseph-Francois Hertel. Ended up a cripple in a vicious battle of 240 chasing 50 (or less men) after a brutal raid. 20 of the 50 died, but they killed 60 of the chasers. Became a politician later in life. Perhaps a government agent for army?

Pierre Hertel de Moncours (1687-1739) Youngest of the Hertel brothers. probably too young to be a general at 1700, although he was present at the raid of Deerfield in 1704 (age 17).

Jean-Baptiste Hertel de Rouville (nee 1668) - dedicated soldier and MARINE from an early age. Defender at Battle of Quebec in 1690. Ambusher, fought alongside Abenaki and Iroquois and friend to the Mohawk. English opponents describe him as "man of great courage, but cruel and vindictive" (hates the white man??) Also had two sons who served with distinction. Lived by toughness, taught by his father, who was held captive by the Iroquois. Highly skilled. I wonder what happens if give him a +research? Most accomplished of Francois's children. Devious and Machiavellian.

Jean-Baptiste jr Hertel - son to Jean-Baptiste
    Rene-Ovide Hertel - another son...

Pierre LeMoyne d'Iberville (1661-1706 - malaria)- "The first great soldier born in Canada." Born in Montreal.

Jacques Testard de Montigny (1663-1737) - Marine! Made Lieutenant in 1700 and fought behind d'Iberville. Traveled with Abenaki war leader Excumbuit in 1696. Primarily did a lot of raiding. Joined Subercase, but was unsuccessful. Not particularly notable. Primarily active against NFLD with Subercase and stationed in Acadia. Maybe give him 2 marine units?

Escumbuit - Native leader of Pequawket Abenaki. But I have no Abenaki units yet! Maybe this would make sense as a "new" gunpowder unit to replace the broken Warpath Gunpowder units. Vicious attacker and killed women and children - reported by French and English, so probably true! Nonetheless, received the order of St Louis.

Daniel d'Auger de Subercase - (1661-1732) Bold attacker and uncle to his men. Historically attacked NFLD in 1704 with 450 men, including Canadians and Natives, but it failed (understandably). He got stuck-in and was a good defender. Especially in Acadia and Port-Royal. Probably a surgeon (suggestions at involvement with Hospitallers). He was in good favor in 1700. He ended his career in some disgrace, largely because France was neglecting areas that he was commanding and he was unable to defend against numerous heavy attacks from well-supported British forces.

Augustin Legardeurde Courtemanche (1663-1717)
    Rene Robineau de Portneuf.

Alexandre de Prouville De Tracy - mort
    Daniel de Remy de courcelle - mort
    De la Barre - mort
    Perre de Troyes - mort 1688

Denonville - what a jerk. Just after attacking the undefended Rupert House and Moose Factory from the British *during peacetime*, he captured all the top chiefs of the Iroquois under flag of truce and sent them to hard labor in galleys in France. Frontenac reversed this by finding the remaining leaders and taking them out of captivity, back to their families in Canada in 1698. Perhaps there is some fictional tie-in between this and the Hertel family, who had felt the effects of captivity and raised the important issue of returning captives to their families - but with the intention of moving forwards towards peace and unity. Note that both the Hertel family had multiple members captured, but returned (and were both worse and better for it), as were the Iroquois leaders, who returned just prior to the landmark treaties in 1700 and 1701.

Scholar Pierre Bertrand - taught the Hertel family.
    Missionary - Francois de Laval - 1623-1708 (ret. 1688)
    Missionary - Jean-Baptiste de La Crois de Cevhieres de Saint-Vallier - austere, but spent loads of cash, not well liked, highly contentious, spent nearly 20 years out of office due to capture and forced exile because the French didn't want him to do anything because he caused too many problems. Laval was his second in the diocese during his absence, but he wasn't much liked either.

Canadien Militia? perhaps just use the existing units...

Last edited by eschelar; March 19, 2017 at 07:26 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: 100% World Dom - The Rise of French Canada

This looks like the basis for an exciting campaign, I would be interested to hear how you get on. The changes you are making look logical and well-planned. Those Muscogee Tribesmen are going to be deadly, with 70 accuracy.

I wonder if you would be interested in posting reports on the progress of this campaign in the Empire Total War AARs forum?

I'll see what I can do. I usually update the campaign a few times throughout its progress, but time has become much more scarce.

I could really use some help with my mods, if you could help me out. I have so far been entirely unsuccessful at importing the exported databases effectively into my .pack files. I think the problem is that the databases aren't being exported properly. I exported from patch5.pack...

I am using your Minors1.pack, but it doesn't have the database entry for projectiles. I have so far been successful with everything else that I wanted to do, or achieved an acceptable work-around (although last night, I made some error which destroyed about 4 hrs of experimentation, won't take anywhere near that much time to get back). If you could help out by making a minors1.pack with projectiles and government type restrictions, I think that would just about sort everything I want to do.

I was doing a *lot* of wood sanding today and was going over my ideas for the archers and I'm going to revise them and attempt to add an entirely new unit, following your tutorial. See above for edits.

onmy6's Avatar Miles

I like your "Old notes for reference" idea better, just lower the accuracy, I tried your projectiles work around for archers the other day, just that alone seemed to give the Indians on my grand campaign game a big advantage as the could creep up silently and out of nowhere start pelting my line infantry from out of sight and out of range made it much better IMO, anyways keep up the good work

Back when I started playing ETW, that was the crazy thing about the natives. They were very low morale, but had a horrible way of sneaking up behind enemy lines and pelting my units with arrows. Then I needed to chase them down with quick cavalry (which in itself was a bit of an offset to their poor defense). I also felt it was pretty insulting that they had such poor melee abilities and would essentially run at the drop of a well-timed hat. Because the changes that I would like to make will actually affect the units used by the natives in-game as well, it should be interesting to see them suddenly start winning a lot of battles against their Euro-trash opponents. For now, they are mostly just units to gain experience on in the early game. When I first started, I found them a very difficult enemy to face. So did many other people at that time. Now, even on VH/VH, they aren't even remotely dangerous. My melee units cut them to pieces without artillery or any other gunpowder units and did so with very, very minimal losses. I grew up around natives and their reputation is that they are tough as nails, have endurance for days and will pretty much never run from a fight. A far cry from how ETW paints this honorable warrior society who lived by the toughness of their hides.

One thing to remember is that I'm fleshing out many of the under-used units to bring them up to become much more useful and a bit more realistic, but I am also setting a lot of pretty low limits for these units, considering that I'm going to be creating a global domination campaign and that I have already completely blocked off Line Infantry, low end standard cavalry and standard "Militia" of all forms for Quebec. Relying almost exclusively on specialized ethnic units (that aren't historically bitter enemies of Quebec) and pioneer/frontier type units to retaliate against Europe could be very challenging, especially where almost every army will have an entirely different composition

I doubt I will be able to get a really good handle on game balance until I reach Europe in my initial playthrough. In my previous Sun-Baked Steel challenge run, it became *MUCH* more difficult as soon as I left India and started into Europe because the only unit I could recruit in Europe for combat were the Sipahis. Everything else needed to be shipped in from the Americas. This slowed my progress tremendously. While it was somewhat challenging, it was also kind of boring because I was still using the same units. I expected at least to be able to recruit Kalmuks and Tatars, but my memory had gotten confused with the Ottomans.

With my French Canada Rises campaign, I'm going to have a lot of very diverse units, but none of them will really be able to be my main backbone like Hindu warriors were because of the recruitment limits. This will make the campaign a LOT more logistical (which has always been my aim, since BAI and CAI are always so-so at best, so a race against the clock is always a challenge). Some of the units are pretty amazing, but also note that the really high end stuff I am currently considering are pretty far down the recruitment tree, so they would be best compared with units like riflemen. Riflemen should technically still be able to go toe to toe with even the best of those units and win... unless strategy is also used.

Currently, I'm sort of stalled on all of it until I can get a primary .pack file with projectiles (and hopefully government types) like Alwyn's Minors1.pack. I'm chipping away at this on the thoughtcrafting side while doing menial work at the office, but I don't really have a lot of time for this project right now. I already spent an hour or two playing around with exporting and trying all the different tools I could get my hands on and I have come up fails. My best guess at this point is that I have tried to extract the db from the wrong patch.pack file, but it might take me 3 weeks before I can get time to sit down and go through all the .pack data files and get the whole thing figured out. I have coding experience from 20+ years ago in Borland C with some BBS games, but this is all pretty new to me.

Until I can get that moving, I don't know which direction to move forwards. Given that my workload currently calls for 12 hr days, I'm really hoping that someone can help me out with the projectiles db so I can keep my focus on the unit thoughtcrafting. I had this mod 90% built with the "old ideas" before a setback, so if I'm going to re-do most of it from scratch, I'd rather do it right the... well, the second time anyhow...

Been doing some reading on the history of Quebec and New France and truly astounded at how similar it is to my ideas for this campaign.

There genuinely were extremely savage and war-like guys in Quebec who were tough and hardy men, who worked equally well with foreign imported troops and with the local natives. Indeed, they worked extensively with the natives. In fact, in 1700 and 1701, treaties were made that are exactly the same as what I had in mind for this campaign as well.

The only real difference is that New France in history didn't break free and become its own nation. I can imagine that if one tiny little thing changed and one of the Hertel family had been just a little more Alpha or perhaps one of the commanders from France had interacted in a particular way, this campaign might actually have happened. Canada might be French primarily and occupy most of North (and possibly South) America. Who knows, they might even have holdings in Europe too!

Even more interesting is the movement of Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville.

He expanded New France down to Louisiana in 1699 and established a major marking point for France (from Quebec as capital) to put some "firm but gentle" stakes in the ground between the Spanish to stop their growth and allow friendly trade.

Your historical research sounds inspiring. Perhaps there were brave men of Quebec who, back then, saw the possibilities that you are discovering and dreamed of building New France into a nation. As you said, I wonder what it would have taken for them to put their ideas into action - perhaps just a few firm but gentle changes to actual history?

I just finished making some notes above under the section of Denonville. He was a real jerk.

Some of the events of 1698-1701 were, I believe extremely pivotal.

In my envisioning of things, there were 3 parties who were really instrumental to the shaping of reality vs this proposed scenario. There was Frontenac, a French born man who apparently believed in fairness and kindness, Calliere, who came after him and did a lot of the paperwork stuff and the Hertel family, who were just a bunch of Klingon warriors that somehow ended up in Frontier Quebec.

I really like the idea of a scenario where Frontenac laid the foundation for repairing the relationship with the Iroquois when he reversed the extremely dishonorable capture of the entire leadership of the Iroquois some 10 years prior by Denonville. Denonville represents the most vile elements of colonialist Europe, seeing their populations as slaves, their resources as freebies and agreements as meaningless.

Add in the Hertel family, who were warriors in the extreme, but who had also been captured. Indeed, the biography of their father shows the importance to him of the idea of "toughness", which he had learned as he had grown up, but also which had affected him during his years of captivity in the Iroquois camps. The fact that his entire family also ended up fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with the Iroquois (some Huron too, but mostly Iroquois), shows a strong thread of honor and respect between them. The oldest of the Hertel sons had sustained significant injuries in battle and had moved into low level administration as well.

One can imagine how the return of the 13 chiefs who had been banished to hard slave labor by Denonville could have laid the framework for the great peace treaties of 1700 and 1701. Given the prominence of the Hertel family at the time, both in the military and in their association with local politicians of the day, it isn't hard to imagine how this could have led to significant changes in view, fully supported by the military, the existing politicians and the new politicians arriving from France. Calliere was persuasive, but disinterested. One gets the impression that he could easily have just seen the path of least resistance already laid by Frontenac, supported by the Hertel family and even others.

Indeed, in reality, this was both a high point for the colonists of New France, when supplies and reinforcements were still coming, and a turning point as things started to decline for the French settlements in the coming years. Daniel d'Auger de Subercase took a smaller office in Acadia in 1705 and noted when he arrived that over the previous 5 years, his predecessor had done nothing but yell at his men. The fortifications were falling apart from simple decay and natural forces, the men were hungry, underfed and harassed often both by native forces (prior to the treaty) and by British forces who just wanted to move in. d'Auger brought in some masonworkers, rebuilt fortifications, acquired reinforcements from native forces, constructed his own garden, which he used to feed the local populace and made the place into something worth defending and the men proud to defend it. The high point was defending the fort to kill 400-500 of the enemy with just one loss and a handful wounded. However, within a few years, neglect from France took its toll and they were attacked by increasingly menacing British forces. Over 2000 soldiers including trained European regular forces against about 150 settlers (many whose homes and farms had been destroyed due to raiding) and about the same number of Iroquois (who had been stiffed regarding promises of payment for assistance in previous defenses) and Daniel had no choice but to surrender. Daniel was then used as a scapegoat and brought up for court martial in France, although they acquitted quickly because it was just out of ceremony to put blame on someone... Later on, when they asked for his help and offered him good money, he refused in disgust and moved the heck outta there.

These are his attitudes after the fact... but one could imagine that certain intelligent people would have seen all of this coming. Especially the Hertel family, who had been trained by a European scholar and were all considered very well educated.

Combine a little bit of foresight with the ideas of toughness and resistance to the idea of slavery - especially to a callous and out-of-touch European monarchy, surely it was just a tinder-spark away from either Frontenac or Calliere taking the urgings of Zacharie-Francois Hertel to take matters into their own hands, form their own government and stand up as a nation in its own right.

For another interesting one, check out Madeleine de Vercheres... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madele...Verch%C3%A8res

Dang. 14 year old girl defending a fort... Too bad there are no 14 year old female general units in ETW...

Does anyone know what would happen if I put a native general into a startpos for Quebec?
    Last edited by eschelar; March 19, 2017 at 07:27 AM.

Hey Onmy, so confused here... I'm using 4.1.2 and I'm looking in the units_stats_land and for some reason, I can't see all of the units. I can see in the filter that there are more units in the dbase than are showing. But none of the nan_ units are showing up for me in this portion of the db. I even selected specifically to filter for that exact unit, but no dice. it's just not showing.

Actually, i'm noticing a lot of other pretty strange things in the unit_stats_land... such as the models for the units not matching. It says that the model for the native_american_general unit is native_american_archers...

I'm familiar with the use of filters in Excel and I can see that there are no filters that are active, so I'm totally at a loss. Actually, it seems like this might just be the PFM being a bit smarter than I gave it credit for. I don't think there's anything wrong with the list of units, it's the same for 1.5.3 and 4.1.2.

It is very odd that the model units appear to be mismatched though... this might be totally inconsequential though, it does seem to match up somewhat.

I am a bit unsure what this means about customizing the WP units in this database, perhaps the minors1a.pack doesn't have a complete dbase under the unit_stats_land...

Going to see what I can see about doing dbase extractions with the 4.1.2 to see if I can get this sorted.

I am using the dbeditor to look at the pack files as loaded by the game. I can see that those units do indeed show up in the complete database under units_stats_land, so I'm guessing that Minors1a.pack might have been made without the WP units for a TWC/TOS reason... which is strange because they are in the other parts of the db... worst case scenario, i guess I can add them. It's also missing the localization, but I assume there's a reason for that... the project keeps getting bigger. hahah

I found that by adding lines using the PFM, it was breaking the .pack file and making CTD, but cloning the line (which forces it to the end of the file) doesn't do that.
    Last edited by eschelar; March 19, 2017 at 09:58 AM.

Impressive research, you have some excellent characters! Frontenac sounds like a sympathetic character, I enjoyed your description of the Hertel family and wow, Madeleine de Vercheres - what a great story!

Here's a particularly amusing segment from the life of Frontenac on Wikipedia: New France had been under intermittent attack throughout the 17th century. The people however were not subdued and for two years after the Phips attack, a petty warfare was maintained. The sufferings of the colony, infested by war parties, were extreme. The fur trade, which formed its only resource for subsistence, was completely cut off, and a great accumulation of furs remained in the trading posts of the upper lakes, prevented from descending by the watchful enemy.[19] To meet the threat, he dispatched Jean Baptiste Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes to establish a trading post and fort at Kekionga, present day Fort Wayne, Indiana.[20] At a grand council of the friendly tribes, Frontenac took up a hatchet, brandished it in the air, and sang the war song, his officers following his example. The Christian Indians of the neighboring missions rose and joined them, and so also did the Hurons and the Algonquins of Lake Nipissing, while Frontenac led the dance, whooping like the rest. His allies, roused to martial frenzy, promised war to the death, and several years of conflict followed. At length, after three years of destitution and misery, Frontenac broke the blockade of the Ottawa; the coveted treasure came safely to Montreal, and the colonists hailed him as their father and deliverer.

See what I mean about how well this time period meshes with my idea for this campaign? Amazing.

Back from my business trip and getting dug in on this again. Going through the localisation.loc and amazed at how many interesting text strings I haven't encountered. I've had dozens of highly expert generals, some that have led the way for conquering as much as a third of the planet in some campaigns, but I've never seen probably 2/3 of these strings... Not to mention the strings about disease... that would have been an interesting addition. Looks like another mod enabled that.

Nifty.

Thinking about how to make a general unit that is non-mounted, using marines or similar. Is this possible? Especially a unique general unit.
    Last edited by eschelar; March 25, 2017 at 08:15 AM.

Yes, it looks like there are compelling historical stories which are eerily similar to your ideas for a campaign. If you ever decide to write an AAR based on this campaign, I would like to read it (I enjoy including historical elements in my Empire Total War AARs, even when they follow alternative history - as you can see from Éirí Amach: Irish Rising and Kite Pèp Mwen An Ale: Let My People Go.

General George Washington in the Battle of Bunker Hill (in the Road to Independence campaign) is an infantry general unit, I made this unit recruitable in the campaign in my These United Colonies mod. (However, I don't believe that this unit behaves in the campaign like general units normally do. In effect, it is a Line Infantry unit commanded by George Washington which has the ability to inspire other units - in other words, it is more like an elite unit with the 'inspire' ability, rather than a general unit). It might be possible to do this by cloning an ordinary general unit and then removing the horses - you would probably need to edit several entries in unit_stats_land, to make this work (I could not tell you which entries - 'trial and error' would be involved - I do not know whether this it would work - I have not tried doing this).
    Last edited by Alwyn; March 26, 2017 at 03:19 AM.

onmy6's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by eschelar View Post
    Going through the localisation.loc and amazed at how many interesting text strings I haven't encountered. I've had dozens of highly expert generals, some that have led the way for conquering as much as a third of the planet in some campaigns, but I've never seen probably 2/3 of these strings... Not to mention the strings about disease... that would have been an interesting addition.
    Thinking about how to make a general unit that is non-mounted, using marines or similar. Is this possible? Especially a unique general unit.
    Welcome back, Yes I had alook thru that also, some amazing stuff in there, I suspect ETW was going to be twice big as the end product became
    Sad really IMO, could have been absolutely amazing had they been allowed to finish it properly....sigh Oh well

I will have a look at general units. I too noticed the oddities with the George Washington unit.

I might add generals of a standard type, and a few very special generals in the startpos. If I can ever get my teeth into that. Hoping that husserltw's tool works ok.

I was playing around with Sikh warriors last night with chakram, haha. Sadly, it looks like I won't be able to do anything useful with them due to empty spaces... Still lots left to do.

DURN IT OLL.

PFM 4.1.2 has been going super-great... the other PFM's gave me all sorts of random troubles, but all of a sudden today, the PFM has gone completely unusable. Throwing an exception and will not run.

I removed the entire thing and re-built it, but nothing works. 4.1.2 is now DOA. Dang. I was really enjoying it. Oh well. Bedtime.

UPDATE: Back on Track!
    Last edited by eschelar; March 29, 2017 at 08:41 AM.

Experimented with the bows last night. I was successful in setting up several different bow ranges for different types of units. I was very disappointed to see that while some units can fire their guns *during* a charge, bowmen cannot, even though they have "can shoot while moving" and "does shoot mounted by default". I was trying to make a low range type bow type harrassment unit that could run in and out of range, kind of like Mongol Raiders used to. Nope, they need to stop, line up, clean their fingernails, discuss recent topics of interest regarding Kim Kardashian's butt, *then* fire arrows, *then* they can safely be retreated... Really CA? Really?

Also rather shocked at how poor the bowmen are at firing arrows. 60 bowmen, one volley, average less than 1 death over 5 shots... total! Granted, that's with range at 120, but it's not even at max range... Still, that's appalling. That unit burned through around 80% of their arrows before I ran out of patience. Probably 15-17 arrows per man. Less than 60 kills. That's atrocious.

I'm trying to set up some arrows that work more like direct fire and others that work more like indirect fire. I want some units on there that work like Line Infantry, but with bows. But a Line Infantry unit can carve up a unit with only musket fire at range with only 5 ammo or so expended if they can sit there unmolested. These guys can barely take out a quarter of a unit in the same time, with most of their ammo expended. I've also deliberately slowed the rate of fire for the euro_longbows to replicate a longer draw and slightly more thoughtful aim.

Good fun.

Update: the trick is oddly to set them to melee charge. They do actually throw axes and fire and such when they have the occasion. As such, I believe I will set the axemen to 2 ammo, 40-50 range.

The archers still seem to be rather horrendous, with units averaging less than 1 kill per 100 arrows. But I do like that the horse archers with low range can actually fire their volley when charging. This makes them much more interesting as harassment units, although still quite poor for anything much else... Or at least, that was with the Kalmuks I was playing with.

Oddly, when their units were facing my units, the first volley from a 120 man archer unit killed 24 out of 25 remaining Kalmuks in a single volley. Wow. They were averaging 6-9 per volley on my units when I was averaging 0-4 against theirs... No idea what's going on there.
    Last edited by eschelar; March 30, 2017 at 07:17 AM.