Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

- Redacted -
    Last edited by Matmannen; April 17, 2017 at 06:17 AM.

Spoiler for Irrelevant nonesense
    "CA had to shut them down because they were using copyrighted software in their mod"

"Creative Assembly have contacted us requesting that we remove our claim to copyright over our own intellectual material"

"Didn't shape my comment exactly as [I] wanted it to be"

Mate, the way language works is that you say one thing, and it has a particular meaning. When you're corrected, and told "that's not what happened", you can't then blame the person who has corrected you on your lies/incorrect information and say "that's not what I mean, you and your ability to read what I wrote".

CA didn't shut them down. They were happy to have the mod continue, on the caveat of the use of the other copyrighted commercial programs being turned over to CA for use, which the mod team were unwilling to do so based on existing licenses. CA did not have a problem with DotS. DotS were unwilling/unable to share content, and on that basis suspended the mod originally, and have now decided to continue with the mod, presumably without the use of said programs. Given that in order to play the game, and modify it, everyone signed the EULA, which stated that all work and modifications based on the M2 game are the legal property of CA, and the team were aware of this, CA are well within their right to make a claim on said program. CA only wanted to use the tool itself. The DotS didn't want CA to do so. DotS ergo decided not to continue use of the project. That's all on the DotS team.
    Last edited by Son of Horus; April 14, 2017 at 09:37 PM.

Can anyone link me to statements by CA about editing models? I'll definitely play it safe for the sake of other modders' work, but I'd like to see where the notion is coming from.
    All I've come across is 1) Don't violate copyrights and 2) They like modders but the game is too complex to give us modeling tools/support.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by IndigWindage View Post
    Can anyone link me to statements by CA about editing models? I'll definitely play it safe for the sake of other modders' work, but I'd like to see where the notion is coming from.
    All I've come across is 1) Don't violate copyrights and 2) They like modders but the game is too complex to give us modeling tools/support.
    When you mod I think it's best to just go ahead with what you are doing until you're told to stop, you won't get in trouble so long as you don't do anything blatantly wrong like using total war models in other games or vice versa, I would also avoid making mods about third party intellectual property (for example Lord of the Rings) although it still seems to happen, but none of those mods will be allowed on the steam workshop.

Games Workshop is famous for guarding its intellectual property and would not allow CA to allow modding. In fact, they only agreed to let CA support mods about a month before the game released. I think that is the reason why the game is "too complex" to mod some times. Unfortunately for 99% of the game's development CA were not thinking about modding at all because they thought it wasn't allowed. You can tell from looking at things such as the way the models are named or are laid out in the files that things were organised for CA's convenience and very little thought was given to what would be easy for modders. That's why Warhammer modding is generally more difficult, but you can't really blame CA for that.

One of the difficulties with CA is the ownership of mods. Technically all mods are owned by them, they aren't our intellectual property. This means that CA could be liable for mods that break copyright, that's definitely something to worry about. I once had one of my mods locked on the workshop because the thumbnail for it featured copyrighted images from Fallout but CA were very helpful about it. I just emailed them and changed the thumbnail and they unlocked the mod.

I can tell you too that CA do like modders. I have been going to their annual mod summit for the last 3 years and they are very supportive and try to help us out as well as they can. It's just that they won't do anything which is going to hinder them in their work or which is going to put them into legal trouble. Those are the two reasons why they don't release campaign map editing tools 1) because they can't release the third party software they use to make campaign maps and don't have time to build their own software and 2) they know that map editing will be used to violate other intellectual property and don't want to get themselves in legal trouble.

As for simply editing models? That's fine don't worry about that one bit.

Edit:

Also one last thing, would you guys please not talk about things that aren't related to the tutorial on this thread? I want to make sure it's not too cluttered in case people are readying through it looking for help.
    Last edited by Sebidee; April 14, 2017 at 07:27 PM.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Hi Sebidee, managed to follow your thread through to completion to create my own unit. Thanks! Super helpful. However, I'm having a go on my own and struggling with replacing the Kholek model with that of a Chaos Dragon. I replace the animation and the entity with that of the dragon, and replace the body of Kholek with that of the Dragon. Am I still doing something wrong for it crashes every time I try to load up. Are there any crash logs like there were with M2?

Is there any possible way to make a usually one handed weapon "react" to a two handed animation without playing around with the rigid models?

I know that a two handed weapon can be used for a onehanded animation, but the other way around?
    Last edited by Matmannen; April 15, 2017 at 08:11 AM.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Matmannen View Post
    Is there any possible way to make a usually one handed weapon "react" to a two handed animation without playing around with the rigid models?

I know that a two handed weapon can be used for a onehanded animation, but the other way around?
    Yeah it should work, just put them on attach point 1 and they should hold them that way. Whether or not it looks right will depend on the model.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Horus View Post
    Hi Sebidee, managed to follow your thread through to completion to create my own unit. Thanks! Super helpful. However, I'm having a go on my own and struggling with replacing the Kholek model with that of a Chaos Dragon. I replace the animation and the entity with that of the dragon, and replace the body of Kholek with that of the Dragon. Am I still doing something wrong for it crashes every time I try to load up. Are there any crash logs like there were with M2?
    When you get crashes like that or failures to load it means you've made a mistake in one of the database tables. It will be something like a misspelling, an entry you left empty or you put something in the wrong place.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Yeah it should work, just put them on attach point 1 and they should hold them that way. Whether or not it looks right will depend on the model.
    Hmm, I'll contiue trying then. I tried that but it didn't work for me.

EDIT: I was being clumsy, this first solution was what I tried, sems logical right. When it didn't work, istead of trying to figure out what I did wrong in the definition, I came crying here. Shame on me...
    Last edited by Matmannen; April 17, 2017 at 06:48 AM.

Ok, I got a good one for you: I'm trying to add immune to vigor (fatigue_immune) to Louen (Since he's a grail knight and I don't know why he didn't have it to begin with), but for some reason, it doesn't show on his character stats in game. I've added fatigue_immune to his attributes (mounted & no-mount version) in the land_units table, and I've also made a new attribute group in the units_attributes_group tables and he still doesn't show it. Is there like some kind of limit to how many effects a legendary lord can have? Or is there another table that I need to edit? X.x

EDIT: Nevermind, I had everything right, I just added the wrong attribute in the wrong area of the table. Dumb me. X.x
    Last edited by Alex647; April 18, 2017 at 02:31 PM.

Hi Sebidee, really great thread and Ive managed to follow most of it so far, the one snag is the variantmeshdefinitions, I tried to use a model from the vanilla game but my units appeared invisible, so I have tried to use a mod ive downloaded for the mesh and even just renaming the definition doesn't provide me with a visible model.

Ive noticed when I save the mod, it makes the meshvariantdefinition disappear from the PFM, not sure if this is normal either!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unit Mesh.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	344704

ive included the line for the model I have used, but I delete the shadow warrior one when saving my mod, its just shown for clarity, as this unit appears correctly.

thanks for any help you can give.

I think I might seem the problem, after each of the head variant meshes, directly next to them [NO SPACE], add </VARIANT_MESH>. You need to tell the game that you hit the end of the head model...

I think I might seem the problem, after each of the head variant meshes, directly next to them [NO SPACE], add </VARIANT_MESH>. You need to tell the game that you hit the end of the head model...
    Hi, thanks for the reply I've tried to do that and still no luck. Even tried to use a vanilla unit and changed the name.

Is it normal for the variant_mesh_definition to disappear when you save the file, after I've renamed it, so I can't make a change and then load it up to test as I then need to redo it if I want to change it!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Is there any video tutorials of this bit, or could someone make one?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Are you sure that the issue is in the variant? Sometimes it's easy to make the smallest mistakes in things like linking the variant to your desired unit.

By the way, Sebidee, the most random comment ever but it has been bugging me since I first entered this thread. You know that the young nobles armour would fit the Honour guard officer's artwork alot better than the Empire knight armour used in the screenshot?
    Last edited by Matmannen; April 20, 2017 at 05:16 PM.

I have a really aggravating problem.

Right now I'm making a few custom lords from all different races, with the intention of putting them all under one (custom) faction.

For example, I made a custom dwarf that uses the Irondrake weapon and in "culture_to_battle_animation_tables" I assigned it the "wh_main_dwf_dwarfs" animation culture. It worked fine, until suddenly it didn't--no changes were made to that particular unit or any tables related to that unit. I've made a dozen passes over its tables and no typos. If I move that unit over to Dwarfs, it works fine again.

Anyone encounter this issue?

Nevermind--I don't know how to edit, but I somehow had replaced the animation with the unit key instead. Dumb mistake.

Are you sure that the issue is in the variant? Sometimes it's easy to make the smallest mistakes in things like linking the variant to your desired unit.

By the way, Sebidee, the most random comment ever but it has been bugging me since I first entered this thread. You know that the young nobles armour would fit the Honour guard officer's artwork alot better than the Empire knight armour used in the screenshot?
    Well ive come up with a workaround, ive downloaded a mod with a unit model that I'm happy with to start, and then just worked backwards editing the rest in line with the tutorial!

All seems to be working fine now, so I suppose using the template should have worked the same way!

Ok, I swear I tried everything and I can't get officers to work. It seems fairly simple, I followed the guide to the letter. Without those officer entries, my unit works perfectly--with them, the game crashes at startup.<br><br>The unit I'm trying to add an officer to is a 3-model Lord unit. Does that make a difference? I've seen officers assigned to Lord units, and my Lord unit works *without* the officer.

Alright, another rookie mistake. After hours of pouring over every detail, I failed to notice that I hadn't renamed the tables to include my prefix, which was obviously causing it to conflict. All is good now.