Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Quote Originally Posted by IndigWindage View Post
    I've been looking for another location, too. Maybe a shader is responsible for those? I've also gotten the same workaround result by deleting lines in the wsmodel.

Here's an imgur link to what I've been talking about. PFM is just my edited diffuse + unedited materials. Below is the result. The texture changes as depending on the angle you look at it.
    I will not give up until I have managed to remove the wings from the Demigryphknight's crest leaving a mountable skull to decorate many a helmets with. Just checking, HxD says that the diffuse is saved as DXT1 and NVTT is mentioned aswell. Any ideas?

I've only been using DTX5, haven't learned the difference between that stuff yet.

After reading this I'm feeling better about my theory: Files have a <sort_override>255</sort_override> line, which I think is overriding alpha channel with "255" aka 100% opacity. Still trying to find what's overriding the other units textures.

Matmannen I can probably do it for you, I have some free time. EDIT: Yep, it's definitely happening. And yes, I'm totally using Kemmler as my testing model. Seems to be the only thing he's useful for

Indigwindage, I have a feeling that sort override line is about the transparency of the effect applied by the shader, not the actual diffuse. Could be wrong though, keep experimenting!

EDIT2: I am really tired of answering the same question over and over and over, so please, don't ask me how I'm doing this. A guide will be coming sometime in the future.

And it's done! You can find it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...Thia3c2T19hd2c

All of you folks can use it, however, I do ask for two very specific things: You will credit me in the description, if you make a mod out of it, and you will NOT allow re-uploading of the edited model. This takes a lot of time to do and I don't really like schmucks who just slap a new texture on top getting credit.

I noticed in this thread that P4nts seems to be talking about the same texture problem when adding xmls. Do you guys use either of the files there, and might they fix my issue? I was thinking the alpha transparency might work if I were actually exporting the files the same as original. Hexedit shows DX10 at the top of newer units rather than DXT1 or DXT5, etc. I'll ask p4nts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    And it's done! You can find it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...Thia3c2T19hd2c

All of you folks can use it, however, I do ask for two very specific things: You will credit me in the description, if you make a mod out of it, and you will NOT allow re-uploading of the edited model. This takes a lot of time to do and I don't really like schmucks who just slap a new texture on top getting credit.
    Thank you, you beautiful bastard xD

EDIT: This might be a dumb question but, the file is named for torso, but it's used with the head textures, right?

Quote Originally Posted by IndigWindage View Post
    I noticed in this thread that P4nts seems to be talking about the same texture problem when adding xmls. Do you guys use either of the files there, and might they fix my issue? I was thinking the alpha transparency might work if I were actually exporting the files the same as original. Hexedit shows DX10 at the top of newer units rather than DXT1 or DXT5, etc. I'll ask p4nts as well.
    Bretonnia uses alot of DX10 textures, when digging, it seems that DX is used for older dextures and DXT1-5 is a more modern version. Appranrly, you are supposed to be able to save in DX10 using the Nvidia tools for photoshop, I used the tools but no such option was possilbe. I only looked into it very quickly, so there is by all accounts alot more to it all.
    Last edited by Matmannen; April 12, 2017 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matmannen View Post
    Thank you, you beautiful bastard xD

EDIT: This might be a dumb question but, the file is named for torso, but it's used with the head textures, right?

Bretonnia uses alot of DX10 textures, when digging, it seems that DX is used for older dextures and DXT1-5 is a more modern version. Appranrly, you are supposed to be able to save in DX10 using the Nvidia tools for photoshop, I used the tools but no such option was possilbe. I only looked into it very quickly, so there is by all accounts alot more to it all.
    I haven't changed the texture filepaths so it uses whatever the vanilla crest is also using. I think it uses parts in the torso textures and parts in the head textures, but don't quote me on that.

About DX10: DX10 is still DXT5, just optimized for Directx 10 while the rest have been around and used in Directx9 and so on. It's used by most of the newer models, anything that came with the Woodelves and later. The export option for DX10 on Photoshop is "Dxt5 (directx10) "

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    I haven't changed the texture filepaths so it uses whatever the vanilla crest is also using. I think it uses parts in the torso textures and parts in the head textures, but don't quote me on that.

About DX10: DX10 is still DXT5, just optimized for Directx 10 while the rest have been around and used in Directx9 and so on. It's used by most of the newer models, anything that came with the Woodelves and later. The export option for DX10 on Photoshop is "Dxt5 (directx10) "
    Thank you a ton.

Figured out that most of what I'm trying to do with transparency can be done another way. It's just gonna take a loooooong time.
    Last edited by IndigWindage; April 15, 2017 at 08:53 PM.

Hi, I was wondering if it's possible in this and previous total war games to get pieces (tunics, accessories, ect) to only show if another is shown. I'm having a few issues with clipping which can be very noticeable if the pieces are different colors.

Basically I want my red accessory to be attached to my red tunic.

Oh.. duhh.

It's through the same process you'd create a unit. I've only been looking at examples of this all day...
    Last edited by sleepyx732; April 13, 2017 at 04:07 AM.

I don't want to seem like an asskisser nor a bragging , but through this period of, what has it been now, two weeks? Well, I have gone from a total modding n00b to a total modding, with some basic understanding into the basics of modding. But, with this basic understanding I have been able explore and discover the world or Total War modding, indeed I have been able to through my own curiosity and creativity discover many a wonderes solutions to problems...

To use some TWC language, if I could give each of you one million rep, I would.

Is this ing cool, or is this ing cool. I mean, common:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I have yet to fix the clipping with the cloth and mane.
    Last edited by Matmannen; April 13, 2017 at 06:34 AM.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Wow Matmannen they look great

Think you will be ready to put it on the workshop soon?
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

I totally agree Matmannen. Really glad I decided to try it out and that other modders are willing to help.

One more problem here, hopefully...

Added the rmv2 to the mod, along with variantmeshdefinition. Then replaced both variantmesh lines (including imposter) with rmv2 rather than the original wsmodels.

Looking in the game now, my edit appears close and far, but not when slightly zoomed out. Is there some way to disable lod or something else I'm missing?
    Last edited by IndigWindage; April 15, 2017 at 08:56 PM.

I might've just found it. There's a separate rmv2 for the imposter.

First of all, you don't really want to make this public knowledge, unless you want CA to hide all the models in a .bin file and call it a day. I recommend you edit that post and remove your method. This is a decision I've taken since I figured it out, while consulting many prominent modders in TW:W. They clearly don't want us messing with models. Also, if you release a mod that does that, keep it lore friendly.

Secondly, LODs are the main reason editing models takes a lot of time. Empire models in particular use LODs in a separate low poly file, while the rest are usually all in a single RMV.

Finally, don't leave corrupted faces and/or corrupted points (looks like a string of cheese in 3d modelling software). It increases GPU memory used by at least 10% (tested 3 GPUs, 560ti, 980ti and a 1060 in different systems) in which case, you're violating the TOS of the Steam Workshop.

Look at my mods, you'll figure it out.

The locked models are sad, but I always assumed it was a present from GW. They didn't want modding at all, but CA managed to convince them to give up a little control over the intellectual proporty, but due to the rampant existance of GW models than can be created indepently of GW concent, modders ability had to be stifled.

Hopefully, this will not stay for future non-GW titles.

I strongly believe it falls upon the moders for them to remain so.

They released TERRY and the first big map to come out was...Minas Tirith.

- Redacted -
    Last edited by Matmannen; April 17, 2017 at 06:18 AM.

You remember incorrectly, then. CA didn't shut them down at all. Don't talk rubbish. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...on-Permissions