Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    I thought the fix was to change cdir_military_generator values, but its not fixing the issue for me. I'll have to ask another modder when he gets online.
    I don't know if it's possible to fix this Custom Battle Screen crash for WH1/WH2 as I don't mod WH. It could be done probably with a similar procedure like Ryan did it in Rome 2 or like I and Radious adapted it for Attila in the Attila Custom Battle Crash Fix. It could be worth a try.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

> db table: cdir_military_generator_template_ratios

Set all "WH_mp_*" rows in the column "ratio" to 0.

You must only set these "WH_mp_*" values to 0 and you can edit of course the other ratio values like you want in your mod.

> db table: factions

Set all rows in the column "mp_force_gen_template" from "wh_mp_force_gen_*" to "default".

You must only set these values in the column "mp_force_gen_template" to "default" and you can edit of course all other columns like you want in your mod.

Another workaround for crashes in the Custom Battle screen is sometimes to remove all files in these two folders below. Mostly it helps in any TW game if an unit pack is removed and the loaded setups still contain these units.

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\***\battle_preferences

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\***\army_setups

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

You could remove units from the custom battle with unit_custom_battle permission then

Hey guys!

I was wondering whether it is possible to replace the faction color for a unit model by custom colors that do not vary across factions. It was possible in Attila by adding something like this under the individual variant models of the unit's variant mesh definition files:

<TINT red="1.0" green="1.0" blue="0.607843" random_range="0.2" /> <TINT red="0.666667" green="0.666667" blue="0.498039" random_range="0.2" />
    <TINT red="0.607843" green="0.803922" blue="1.0" random_range="0.2" />
    <TINT red="0.686275" green="0.686275" blue="0.686275" random_range="0.2" />
    <TINT red="0.921569" green="0.921569" blue="0.686275" random_range="0.2" />
    However it doesn't seem to work in Warhammer :/

Patrician Artifex

yes you can.
    unit_variant_colour table

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    yes you can.
    unit_variant_colour table
    Thank you for the reply Steph. I know about this table, but the problem is that I plan to do this for a LOT of units, for all factions; and that would mean a lot of entries... Or maybe leaving the faction column empty will automatically apply the colors to the units across all factions?

Patrician Artifex

Leaving the faction empty doesn't work...

Hey again,

I finally got myself a version of Photoshop! I can now distinctly see the different alpha channels for the faction colours. What I would like to do now, is copy the selection surface of the area covered by one of these channels, past it on the diffuse texture, and colorify the selected surface before blackening the corresponding mask's area so that the faction colour no longer applies there. I would like to this as precisely as possible (so, ideally, no manual selection of the working area).

For example, let's say that I want to replace the faction colour of the Bretonnian Peasant Mob unit by a constant one across all sub-factions. How could I possibly do that in Photoshop?

Thanks

Patrician Artifex

I could explain with gimp, but I'm not using photoshop. By the way gimp allows the same thing

I could explain with gimp, but I'm not using photoshop. By the way gimp allows the same thing
    I believe Gimp does not handel the three different colour channels, but only the first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrician Artifex

I'm not sure you really need channel, but having part in red or green is sufficient

I'm not sure you really need channel, but having part in red or green is sufficient
    Hmm... I think I will give Gimp another shot. Thank you for the information mate.

EDIT 1: Unfortunately Gimp does not seem to work well with some mask files, like the Peasants Bowmen or the Men at Arms bodies. Too bad, those among others are the ones that I'd like to edit.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I found a way to extract the different channels from the mask files to be able to work on it in Gimp.

Last edited by Dingkuhn; April 15, 2018 at 08:43 AM.

Another question: it seems like there is some kind of limitation on how many variants a unit model can use. I know that in Attila variants were capped at five per slot, however the limit does not seem to be as constant in Warhammer. Do you guys have an idea how it works in this game?
    Last edited by Dingkuhn; April 19, 2018 at 02:34 AM.

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Dingkuhn View Post
    Hmm... I think I will give Gimp another shot. Thank you for the information mate.

EDIT 1: Unfortunately Gimp does not seem to work well with some mask files, like the Peasants Bowmen or the Men at Arms bodies. Too bad, those among others are the ones that I'd like to edit.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I found a way to extract the different channels from the mask files to be able to work on it in Gimp.

How did you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Matmannen View Post
    How did you do that?
    I opened the mask file and saved the individual channels as three separated .dds files (only with colours, no alpha). To do this properly you need to generalize the channel you want to save to the two others (select all/copy/past), otherwise you get some weird colorifying results on Gimp.

Once you have done that for all three channels, you can open them in Gimp, select by colour/magic select on one mask channel the regions you want to work on on the diffuse texture, activate the mask mod, copy, go on the diffuse file, activate the mask mod, past, and finally deactivate the mask. You have your selection now

Last edited by Dingkuhn; April 19, 2018 at 02:33 AM.

Patrician Artifex

I did it another way. Open the mask with gimp. everything is black/ Select with magic wand to get the background , paint it magenta, you ge tthen see the sciv colored part (still black because of transparenty). use the color selector to idetnfiy the colours (you shiould get red, green and/or blue. Use magic wand to recolor each part to the full colour.
    And when finished hust make it transparent and save with DXT5 compresion.

Works for me

Unknown if this is the correct place to be asking this, but i have a fully completed High Elf legendary lord i built, works 100% custom meshes, skills and skill tree additions(however for some reason i can't get her bow to shoot while shes on a dragon(at least maybe visually?)). But that is not the real issue I'm having. I WANT to port her to Empire faction, along with her custom units(because the fancy took me), and while the units work, and gain from the empire research and empire general skill trees(of which she has incorporated), she comes up on the campaign map as a filthy skaven, with no name and a skaven unit card. going into battle reveals the same issue. by looking at it, she is IGNORING her variantmeshes once i get into the campaign(swapping her back to high elf fixes this however)

i am assuming it has to do with whatever the porthole system is, which i have yet to find any sort of tutorial for what it is, how to create new ones, and what tables it effects

also why she works right up untill i swap her faction, and she turns into a skaven.

just a direction to the resources i would need to edit or read up on would be enough

whelp, i've fixed the issue of the porthole and portrait system, now my only problem is that when she's empire side, she refuses to fire, on foot, dragon or horse, and yes i am using the correct animations, and have given the empire her animations, as evident by her having idle animations i assume the animation is working, she just won't SHOOT now, which is HEAVILY detrimental towards the type of character and skillset i gave her. any info on possible causes would be welcome, and any information you would require can be made available.

I'm just starting this up, so thank you for this guide as it's helping me on getting my feet wet. Now, my question is, how adaptive is this guide if I want to make an unique Agents, similar to the Krell mod? That's generally where I want to put more focus in (agents, then lords if I can grasp agents). I'm sure I can copy off of that mod, but I rather learn what each entry actually does. For example, I plan on working on a Estroth the Silent agent mod, who for all purposes should be similar to the Krell mod.

agents become infinitely more annoying, especially if your making it entirely custom, with personal traits skills equipment etc, i'm making my high elf lady atm, and so far its taken me about 3 weeks to get where i am, but now it's just bug squashing. tempted to write up a small tutorial after i'm done simply about the tables and what they do and what they effect, but i'm sure i'd mess it up, the biggest part about modding i've found is knowing what connects to what, and it's a blood crisscrossing maze at times.

your best bet is like you said, take a look at a mod already made, and try and build something from what you find inside(with your own resources ofc)

Quote Originally Posted by Raylare View Post
    agents become infinitely more annoying, especially if your making it entirely custom, with personal traits skills equipment etc, i'm making my high elf lady atm, and so far its taken me about 3 weeks to get where i am, but now it's just bug squashing. tempted to write up a small tutorial after i'm done simply about the tables and what they do and what they effect, but i'm sure i'd mess it up, the biggest part about modding i've found is knowing what connects to what, and it's a blood crisscrossing maze at times.

your best bet is like you said, take a look at a mod already made, and try and build something from what you find inside(with your own resources ofc)
    Yeah, that's what I'm noticing. I shelved the project since I started looking into this, but I'm back at it again. A bit more familiar with the process now.