Thread: Experience buildings randomly don't work

Default Experience buildings randomly don't work

Goodness, it seems I'm the only one that uses this sub-forum instead of the general discussions and updates thread.

That said, I've been having issues with buildings that say "gives a +(x) bonus to units trained here". Once I started building them I more or less started focusing on retraining, but after a few turns I noticed that sometimes they'd be retrained, and sometimes not. In one settlement that wasn't producing any units and had 4 to be retrained, I actually discovered that none of them had ever gained experience after wasting a lot of money speeding through every settlement's retrain bar every turn. I remember I've had a similar issue in other playthroughs, but it's only become particularly noticeable to me after I realized I had wasted so much money focusing on retraining in this (my goron) one. I'd chalk it up to only affecting units when you recruit them and not when you retrain them, but I'm somewhat sure that I've seen it affect retrained units; was that just me imagining things?

Default Re: Experience buildings randomly don't work

The matter troubles me also. I don't fully understand the rules of retraining. Even with my own game's reserve limits increased to 4, it often works on only one unit at a time, regardless of how many go through the retraining(The easiest way to check this is with Wizrobes and Lanaryu, who both start next to Snowpeak).

And it doesn't work on recruited units at all.

Maybe that's why such things weren't used in standard M2.

Yeah, I looked into it more when I got back into the game and discovered it isn't effecting my newly recruited units when they get spawned either. I tried only queuing retraining up to the cities' max slots, only retraining one and using the other to recruit, but since it seems to be so random it's a bit tricky to figure the mechanics out while trying to play the campaign at the same time.

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

This has bugged me for some years now, but a solution has been found (not by me), providing consistent results so far. It is not a Hyrule specific problem, it's for the whole M2TW.

So. Retraining for XP works if it is the very last thing you do before pressing End Turn. The absolute last thing, including saving the game (I do it every turn). It works every single time both for retraining old units and recruiting new ones. I have developed a habit of worrying about units just before ending the turn.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates1984 View Post
    This has bugged me for some years now, but a solution has been found (not by me), providing consistent results so far. It is not a Hyrule specific problem, it's for the whole M2TW.

So. Retraining for XP works if it is the very last thing you do before pressing End Turn. The absolute last thing, including saving the game (I do it every turn). It works every single time both for retraining old units and recruiting new ones. I have developed a habit of worrying about units just before ending the turn.
    Yes, it works, but not for units that take more than 1 turn to train IIRC.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Yes, it works, but not for units that take more than 1 turn to train IIRC.
    You are right on the recruitment part indeed. But they can be retrained with this little trick and it works. Redundant, I know, but AFAIK there is no other way.

As far as I can tell, the ruleset for adding EXP to retrained units is something like;

1.You have to have enough spare units to train what you're training. Even though it doesn't take the men, you need them there.
    2.You need to have them at the front of the queue. If there's a new unit training in front of them, the EXP won't go through.

Well, these things certainly are good to know. I think I'm probably going to end up restarting my campaign (again) just because of how much money I've wasted trying to get retraining to work. Thanks much!