Page 8 of 104 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Donald Trump mentaly \ morally fit for the presidency?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Is Donald Trump mentaly fit for the presidency?

First, a civil war in large part fueled by the slaves-no-slaves happened within a short time after Jackson's death. Second Jackson was not indifferent on slavery, he was pro-slavery. Third, in his time most of the western world has abolished slavery.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

JOHN DICKERSON: Did President Obama give you any advice that was helpful? That you think, wow, he really was–
    DONALD TRUMP: — Well, he was very nice to me. But after that, we’ve had some difficulties. So it doesn’t matter. You know, words are less important to me than deeds. And you– you saw what happened with surveillance. And everybody saw what happened with surveillance–
    JOHN DICKERSON: Difficulties how?
    PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: — and I thought that — well, you saw what happened with surveillance. And I think that was inappropriate, but that’s the way–
    JOHN DICKERSON: What does that mean, sir?
    PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: You can figure that out yourself.
    JOHN DICKERSON: Well, I– the reason I ask is you said he was– you called him “sick and bad”.
    PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Look, you can figure it out yourself. He was very nice to me with words, but– and when I was with him — but after that, there has been no relationship.
    JOHN DICKERSON: But you stand by that claim about him?
    PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: I don’t stand by anything. I just– you can take it the way you want. I think our side’s been proven very strongly. And everybody’s talking about it. And frankly it should be discussed. I think that is a very big surveillance of our citizens. I think it’s a very big topic. And it’s a topic that should be number one. And we should find out what the hell is going on.
    JOHN DICKERSON: I just wanted to find out, though. You’re– you’re the president of the United States. You said he was “sick and bad” because he had tapped you– I’m just–
    PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: You can take– any way. You can take it any way you want.
    JOHN DICKERSON: But I’m asking you. Because you don’t want it to be–
    PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: You don’t–
    JOHN DICKERSON: –fake news. I want to hear it from–
    PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: You don’t have to–
    JOHN DICKERSON: –President Trump.
    PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: –ask me. You don’t have to ask me.
    JOHN DICKERSON: Why not?
    PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Because I have my own opinions. You can have your own opinions.
    JOHN DICKERSON: But I want to know your opinions. You’re the president of the United States.
    PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Okay, it’s enough. Thank you. Thank you very much.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.d243cd575b8e

If Trump was ever mentally fit for the presidency, he certainly doesn't seem to be anymore. How can someone be so dim? He's being asking fairly simple questions and manages only to ramble incoherently before running away.
    When the doctrine of allegiance to party can utterly up-end a man's moral constitution and make a temporary fool of him besides, what excuse are you going to offer for preaching it, teaching it, extending it, perpetuating it? Shall you say, the best good of the country demands allegiance to party? Shall you also say it demands that a man kick his truth and his conscience into the gutter, and become a mouthing lunatic, besides?
    Mark Twain

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

This is the video of the interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF8lzCL5ncE

Seriously, even Trump's expressions when he speaks. Every time he turns to look at the interviewer, his mouth twists into some kind of an arrogant sneer.

His treatment of John Dickerson really just speaks for itself.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

Trump claimed that Andrew Jackson could have prevented the civil war if he stayed in office for a little longer (kinda true since Jackson was slave-owner). Yet, aside of that Trump said Jackson (dead for 15 years after the civil war ended) was very angry with the situation boiling in civil war. Critics rightly accuse him of gross misunderstanding of history.

For a modern president to call a slave owner as an arbiter that could have prevented the civil war is eyebrow raising. For a president to say that a president dead for 15 years was angry about the civil war... that's calling his mental fitness to question.
    What is eyebrow raising is that none in the so called media could give a damn to pick up a history book on Andrew Jackson and the civil war to understand Trump is perfectly right in what he said. The Civil War didn't just pop out of nowhere. Tensions between North and South had existed ever since the creation of the United States and they almost reached a boiling point under Jackson who managed to avoid it escalating.

Jackson's successors squandered that and their ineptitude as presidents led to the war. Slavery acted as a catalyst in a long standing conflict in the US between North and South.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/01/526388...-as-trump-said

Read this.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Given Trump's shaky grasp on history, I don't think he was referring to the Nullification Crisis of 1832. This is someone who claimed a great Civil War battle took place on the grounds of his Virginia golf course. When historians called him on it, he lashed out with, "how would you know? Were you there?" Typical Trump.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39723586

Meanwhile, Civil War historians strenuously disagree with Trump. When my colleagues in the department heard about his latest bout of verbal diarrhea, the reaction was a mix of eyerolls and chuckles. The sad thing is millions of Oxy-snorting bumpkins believe the guy.
    Last edited by IronBrig4; May 02, 2017 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Costin_Razvan View Post
    What is eyebrow raising is that none in the so called media could give a damn to pick up a history book on Andrew Jackson and the civil war to understand Trump is perfectly right in what he said. The Civil War didn't just pop out of nowhere. Tensions between North and South had existed ever since the creation of the United States and they almost reached a boiling point under Jackson who managed to avoid it escalating.

Jackson's successors squandered that and their ineptitude as presidents led to the war. Slavery acted as a catalyst in a long standing conflict in the US between North and South.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/01/526388...-as-trump-said

Read this.
    Now I know taking part in a little bit of mental gymnastics is normal in politics, but are you kidding me?

Jackson did not avoid Civil War as in remove the threat, he, just as the US government as a whole prior to him and after, postponed it. When the issue came up it was always kick the can down the road and deal with it later. Well by the time later came it reached a boiling point. Presidents and congressmen prior to the Civil War don't deserve praise for avoiding the war, they deserve criticism for letting the issue fester.

Sure though, Trump is perfectly right when he said the civil war was making Jackson angry. I guess Trump could literally see Jackson turning in his grave the same way he saw people in Jersey celebrating 9/11.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

The mark of a great President is the visionary optimism,
    Donald Trump meets Mahmoud Abbas, predicts 'very good chance' of ...

Responding to Mr. Trump’s optimism, Middle East analyst Aaron David Miller of the Woodrow Wilson International Center said on Twitter, “Never in decades of involvement have I heard a U.S. president more confident with less prospect.”
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    The mark of a great President is the visionary optimism,
    Donald Trump meets Mahmoud Abbas, predicts 'very good chance' of ...
    Why shouldn't he be confident? After all, he's had resounding success with healthc-er funding the wal-um...draining the sw-...alternative facts?
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    First, a civil war in large part fueled by the slaves-no-slaves happened within a short time after Jackson's death. Second Jackson was not indifferent on slavery, he was pro-slavery. Third, in his time most of the western world has abolished slavery.
    On paper and practice are different things. On paper, Portugal was the first western nation to abolish slavery, but I would be lying if slavery magically stopped after signing the bill.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    On paper, Portugal was the first western nation to abolish slavery, but I would be lying if slavery magically stopped after signing the bill.
    Yes. In fact, slavery was abolished just in...Portugal Continental and Portuguese India - a very small part of the empire.The slave trade lasted longer in Brazil than in almost any other country in the Americas.. Slavery wasabolished in the British and French Caribbean, the United States, and Spanish America a generation or more beforeit was abolished in Brazil: Africa Enslaved: A Curriculum Unit on Comparative Slave Systems
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    On paper and practice are different things. On paper, Portugal was the first western nation to abolish slavery, but I would be lying if slavery magically stopped after signing the bill.
    No Portugal was among the last to do it.
    Ireland was the first that did it I think, then Iceland. Portugal abolished all slavery in 1869, so no. They were quite late to the party, one of the very few that did it after the USA.
    Now, after clearing up that confusion over something as important as slavery abolition... you can see that most of the west was moving towards abolition of slavery while Jackson was president. Congress of Vienna in 1815, world antislavery convention in London in 1840, abolition of slavery except in colonies, abolition of slave trade etc.
    Jackson was pro-slavery in an era that slavery was collapsing while Plato was indifferent to it in an era that slavery was the norm.

And to get back to what I wanted to say: Claiming that a pro-slavery president would have prevented the civil war, is like saying "he wouldn't have started the war", but the war would have started with the next guy. So, no Trump was wrong. Jackson would have postponed the civil war for a few years by not freeing slaves.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

So apart from this collection of "Can you believe what he said this time?" *gasp* posts, I want to talk about Trump's actual predicament and choices he will have to make.

I am seeing more of strange revival of a Perot Reform Party streak. It's not surprising to see that the GOP legislature is still more interested in factional infighting or lukewarm silence to many of Trump's initiatives. I don't know yet if Trump will continue to be ambitious and try at sweeping legislation and become frustrated and cynical towards Congress as Obama did or if he'll morph into a Clinton of sorts and be a compromiser just to move things forward. It's very up in the air at this point. I honestly doubt that the Democrats have much to rally on for regaining the house, but they may have a shot at regaining some influence in the Senate, especially with many of the GOP Senators being more mainstream center-right. I see the most realistic possibility though that Trump will be reduced to mediator between Republican factions.
    Last edited by Admiral Piett; May 04, 2017 at 09:45 PM.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

It's incredible how people at this point still believe Trump to be intelligent enough to plan ahead. He's never shown a capacity to plan ahead, much less a capacity to stick to the plans others made for him. What makes you think Trump is going to become a 'mediator' when he doesn't give a about his job and doesn't seem to care about politics at all aside from his self-congratulatory rallies?

People can believe that, but it's largely hyperbole. A person can be very uninformed in some areas and quite highly informed in others. If he were incapable of any sort of long term thinking, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to earning a party nomination much less the Presidency. Trump the populist is a character he made. He has an agenda just like anyone that goes for the office.
    Last edited by Admiral Piett; May 05, 2017 at 03:48 AM.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Piett View Post
    People can believe that, but it's largely hyperbole. A person can be very uninformed in some areas and quite highly informed in others. If he were incapable of any sort of long term thinking, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to earning a party nomination much less the Presidency. Trump the populist is a character he made. He has an agenda just like anyone that goes for the office.
    This is an unfounded assertion. A cliché. If Trump had been alone, he wouldn't have gotten far - he had a team around him that made his plans for him. That's how it's always been.

Moderator Emeritus

That's true for all presidents though. Good advisors go a long way. You know, non-Banon, non-Devos types. Anyway, whether Trump or his team are the ones that plan ahead, the state of his mind and temperament and his team are not promising.

That's true for all presidents though. Good advisors go a long way. You know, non-Banon, non-Devos types. Anyway, whether Trump or his team are the ones that plan ahead, the state of his mind and temperament and his team are not promising.
    Let's be honest here neither Bannon-ites nor Kushner-ites are any good. This will be quite a disastrous presidency.

Last edited by Prodromos; May 05, 2017 at 08:55 AM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Moderator Emeritus

It will be a bad presidency, but not disastrous. Thankfully, the USA president holds little power by himself thanks to some very smart people 250 years ago.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I am glad that a lot of Trump supporters have realized their error. His approval rating is way less than when he was elected. Whether you believe those ratings were inflated\fake news or representative, there is a consistent drop in his numbers.

The voices that Trump is cookoo are not just from the progressive side:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-tr...193503095.html

It will be a bad presidency, but not disastrous. Thankfully, the USA president holds little power by himself thanks to some very smart people 250 years ago.
    It's their janky system that let this happen in the first place. We refuse to modernize it while everyone with a parliamentary system laughs at us. Not that their system is perfect, but a winner-take-all system? Really? People want more than 2 parties to choose from.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Moderator Emeritus

I think UK also has winner-take-all system. But I agree that it holds USA back forcing people into parties they can barely stand.
    But the check and balances on the president's powers are solid.