Thread: What about the mountains?

Miles

Default What about the mountains?

I still wonder, after some updates, what are you going to do with the strat map mountains?

For example, compared to the little needles on the strat map in EB 2, theres stuff like this around for Medieval 2:

Source: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...P-Campaign-Map

I am such a strat map maniac and wonder, what others think about it, as well as the devs of course

Default Re: What about the mountains?

I dont think they will make an overhaul any time soon. Those ice cube mountains have been mentioned since the first release but no changes really.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

DeArmas has joined the team a while ago and said he would rework the map. Unfortunately the only reworked part so far is Egypt. If ofc there's other people interested in helping out making stuff better, we would never be against it

Miles

Mh, interesting to hear, I really hope that there'll be a change someday, cause the EB 2 mountains are a real mess.
    I can only swap textures for the strat map around and mess with the .txt files, so no help from my side for graphical content

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    DeArmas has joined the team a while ago and said he would rework the map. Unfortunately the only reworked part so far is Egypt.
    DeArmas did such an amazing job in Egypt that I wished there was a faction south of Ptolemies... that area looks amazing. would be great if he got around to improving other parts of the map as well, especially Anatolian, Armenian and Iranian highlands. gorgeous shots btw.
    Last edited by Sarkiss; March 05, 2017 at 05:07 AM.

The mod uses a more proportional sizing for the highland/mountain areas. So you are never going to see the massive uplands present in vanilla.
    EBII Council

Plus, Vanilla is set 1500 years later, when the mountains have had more time to grow.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Interesting posts. I think you missed this thread http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...gros-mountains

In a nutshell, this issue has been raised before and the Iranian mountains were changed in the most recent version of the game. (2.2g I think). Big thank you to the EBII team for that. I have no opinion about the rest of the map. My recommendation to SanderP, perhaps it would be useful if you'd be a bit more specific. Is there a particular place you have been looking at? Any specific part of the map?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    Plus, Vanilla is set 1500 years later, when the mountains have had more time to grow.
    You jest, but 1500 years is (just about) long enough to register on a geological timeline. Some mountains are indeed higher than they were two thousand years ago. Where we've put rivers and coastlines, for example, are either based on current topography or guesses - they could have changed significantly in two millennia. As indeed do climates; climate change has completely altered north Africa, for example.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Good post. The other thing is the impact of humans on the lanscape, which I think is closely related. In areas like North Africa and the Middle East, overgrazing by herds of farm animals and depletion of the soil caused by intensive farming combined with cutting down trees to clear land and for use in firewood and construction, all combined to cause desertification. This was a human-driven process that had a significant impact on reducing the fertility of Iraq, Jordan, Israel and other nearby areas, particularly in areas which had been semi-arid or transitional between fertile river valleys and deeper inland deserts.

That said, one shouldn't necessarily imagine the east is all desert, even today. Here's a photo of Iraq. The river is the Tigris.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Not necessarily about mountains, but on the topic of landscape, I noticed that there are farms adjacent to the rivers in the Eurasian steppe area (Sarmatia). That's probably a holdover from MTW, but I found it odd to see lots of farmland in areas inhabited by pastoral nomads.

Quote Originally Posted by golden_gecko View Post
    Not necessarily about mountains, but on the topic of landscape, I noticed that there are farms adjacent to the rivers in the Eurasian steppe area (Sarmatia). That's probably a holdover from MTW, but I found it odd to see lots of farmland in areas inhabited by pastoral nomads.
    Uh, there were lots of farms there. The entire region wasn't solely comprised of nomads wandering around it; there were sedentary people living there too, who often paid tribute to the nomads. There might be exchange between the two as well; settled people who wanted to become nomads, nomads who tired of life in the saddle.