Thread: A quick note on the stability of EB2 and other large mods

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Modding Staff

Default A quick note on the stability of EB2 and other large mods

It's common users encounter technical issues while using old software like M2TW - it's only designed to address 2GB of RAM regardless of the users actual hardware capabilities - and that limitation can cause stability problems with large mods like EB2.

There are 3rd party utilities which can address this problem, but there might be legal ramifications and any software modification is potentially problematic, so users should do their own research and make their own independent decisions.
    Contributor in The AI Workshop
    AI/Game Mechanics Developer for Europa Barbaroum II
    Developer of The Northern Crusades
    Retired Lead Developer for Classical Age Total War
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance/MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Libertus

Default Re: A quick note on the stability of EB2 and other large mods

Why would there be legal ramifications for using a mod that allows an old game to utilize more of your system's RAM? o.O

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by I_Damian View Post
    Why would there be legal ramifications for using a mod that allows an old game to utilize more of your system's RAM? o.O
    It would be against the EULA of the game to make alterations to the .exe file.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

Isn't this only true for systems that still run on x86 architecture?

Modding Staff

Generally speaking an application makes requests to the OS which then allocates resources, the OS is told what it needs by the application which is why games when poorly optimized have bad FPS or even crashes. What is true is that 32 bit systems are limited to 3GB of virtual and or hardware random access memory overall while 64 bit systems don't have that limitation. Applications all have compiler flags which can be set to be on or off, certain ones help the OS understand how many resources need to be allocated for a task. The OS also uses drivers which interface directly with hardware and help supplement the bios functions. At one time the basic input and output generated by the bios were the only functions called but now the drivers control a significant portion of it. This is why drivers can 'stop responding' the functions called and not able to process the request either due to the hardwares inability (the driver simply has to stop driving in this case, causing a crash) or code.

Importantly what's important to take away from all this is the fact that software is the reason hardware is pushed to its limits , at one point the game Crysis became known for its extreme technological demands on the hardware as it took a no holds barred approach. CPU, video cards and all other computer components simply could not keep up at the time and only later hardware like ours (CPU, RAM, Video Cards etc) could fully render everything in maximum detail. Hope that helps.
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

As I understand it , it is Tw Center`s interpretation of the EULA. It`s in CA`s best interests that their games continue to be played and that new players are introduced to the franchise.
    Last edited by z3n; March 07, 2017 at 01:51 PM.

Access to memory is done with what is known as a pointer. A pointer is an integer that is the address of a particular byte of memory. Because 32 bit systems use pointers that are 32 bits long, you can only address up to 2^32 bytes of memory, i.e. 4 billion i.e. 4GB. However, because the OS was 32 bit as well at the time, each program was designed to only use half of that 4GB space and reserve the other half for the OS to use. Even if you have a 64 bit OS, older 32 bit programs are still designed only to use 2GB of RAM. They still can't access more than 4GB since they can't have a unique address for more than that, but since the system reserved RAM can sit entirely outside of the 4GB space now, they can use all 4GBs for their own purposes, a nice step up from 2GB. This is fine for newly compiled programs who just need to set the compiler flag to use all of the space, but for old ones that were compiled before this development, you have to wait for the manufacturer to decide to release an updated copy that takes advantage of this. Or already-released programs can be modified even without recompilation, but as this edits the EXE file, it may be against your license agreement to do this for whatever program you are considering adjusting, so you should consult it first and do your research on the legality, etc as stated.

Modding Staff

Yeah in theory you could go as low as 2gb but it's more commonly known as the '3gb barrier'. You can contrarily go as high as 3.7gb as it depends on the system and using PAE (physical address extensions) go even further past that limit though that was terribly optimized. Therefore you could bypass the memory limit despite the OS only allowing 32 bits normally.