Thread: My Strategy :P

Default My Strategy :P

Well first the very purpose of this thread is just to share my 2 cents on how I play STW and hope that could help some one which may struggle at some point in the game. I know it's been like 5 years from the release date but the game is still very playable for me, as yesterday I've just tried another campaign

So let's start.

I'd like to firstly mention that I hardly play any battle, just auto-resolve all the battles and I've finished all the factions on VH/VH with all provinces conquered (I don't really like the legendary level since you can't save your game and basically it's VH anyway).

The core idea of my strategy is to create a stable base, save up your koku, build up your troops and once ready, go for the Realm Divide

1. Start & Early game (first 20-30 turns)
    Focus all your money at:
    - Quickly expanding, but stop at 4-6 provinces depending on your situation. Make alliance with your neighbor or stationing enough troops so they won't attack you.
    - Build ports asap and send all the ships you could recruit to the trade nodes (even if you don't have the trade ship yet, just seize the nodes)
    Now stop expanding at 4-6 province, upgrade all your port to military port asap (if you have less than 2 ports, you should consider to conquer more province with ports)
    - Do not research any bushido tech, start right away with Calligraphy. This tech will boost your trade tariff to 25 % and allow you to build Confucian Academy to accelerate the tech research if you're lucky to have one.
    Make trade agreements with everyone possible, fill up all the trade nodes you seized with trade ships while try to keep peace, DO NOT jump to war now. Good thing that AI takes your navy into consideration how "strong" you're so the trade ships here will help you to have a status of Strong or at least Moderate, AI if not stronger than you usually won't attack you.

2. After 20-30 turns:
    Now you should have a very stable income brought by the trade nodes and trade agreements ( I usually have at least 3-4 nodes now), often your income should be 3-4 000 koku now (minus all the expenses).
    You also should finish the Calligraphy tech research by now, go for the Chonindo, this tech will boost your trade tariff to 25 % as well. Then the Land Consolidation to upgrade your farms.
    Time to expand your army and expand north or west depending on your starting position. The idea now is to have your land till north or west point of the map so you don't have to defend 2 sides. If your starting position is in the middle it'd be a bit harder and you may have to accept there'd be some factions living "within" your "territory". Try to make them your alliance or station enough troops near their border (at least 1.5 stronger than the force of these factions) to counter them immediately and force them to peace & trade rights as quickly as possible if they even try to attack you.
    You should conquer as many provinces as possible without triggering the Realm Divide and any long, dragging war. Start the war only when you're ready, conquer your enemy as quickly and overwhelmingly as possible. A good tip here is to upgrade your capital to Fortress and train a lot of Yari Ashigaru with + 3 experience without triggering the Superior Ashigaru if possible (you will see why later), these units are killer in the earlier game.

You should spend 20-30 turn here.

3. After 50-60 turns:

Now you should have a sizable kingdom from 12-15 provinces, an income from 10 000 - 20 000 koku per turn after disabling all the forces unnecessary. Keep only 1-2 full stacks to guard your border. As you have to only defend 01 side (as you expanded to north or west point of the map already), this should be enough. Just keep the peace, trade rights and you'll end up with + 500 000 koku after another 30-40 turns. At this point you're free to play to your style or my style as below:

As you've upgrade all your farms and any money making building now, time to research the bushido art. Go straight for the Sojutsu Mastery and build a Legendary Sojutsu School, this will +2 defend to your yari troops. Max out the Yari Ashigaru from your selected training provinces (with blacksmith or morale bonus, build & upgrade Encampment in these provinces as well to have the +5 charge). If you don't have the Superior Ashigaru yet, you should have it now which +2 exp to your Yari Ashigaru. Now build 10 stack of them and steamroll all left with + 500 000 koku at your disposal

This seems long but actually as you don't fight battle and most of your time spending to press the End Turn button so 2-3 days is usually enough for a total conquered campaign
    Last edited by Vagabond; March 06, 2017 at 04:08 AM.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Default Re: My Strategy :P

Jeez, I dont see how everyone is getting that kind of koku per turn, i put markets in almost every city and nothing seems to help. best I've ever done at about turn 60 i had 8.5k i think.