Thread: On city policies, and swapping focus

Default On city policies, and swapping focus

Playing as Adunabar, I haven't needed much variation between Military and Financial cities (I can't really say that the Cultic Temple City is worth the investment), but once my cities started finishing all their constructions along a given path, I did notice that policies aren't "permanent" buildings, and can be torn down.

Abuser of game mechanics that I am, I was just wondering if deconstructing the policy and re-focusing the city is a viable option. That is, if I have a fully developed financial city and I switch it to Military, is that going to shut down the trade and infrastructure I built up under Financial? Or to flip it, would switching to financial from military hobble my recruiting options or my ability to retrain units using buildings with military policy as a prerequisite (ie the weaponmaster's guild)?

Even if the answer's yes, I'm still probably going to employ this approach for higher late-game versatility (3 turns and ~2000 mirian isn't that bad). Just asking beforehand to avoid wasting money.

Default Re: On city policies, and swapping focus

I think we decided not to code in any restrictions for the player who wanted to swap policies in this manner. There was some discussion about it, since it is not in the intended 'spirit' of the policy concept (being able to build everything in every settlement defeats the purpose of the specialization mechanic). But you *should* be good to go, should you want to switch things up.

Wambat has done this sort of thing before, I think; he might have some more specific advice.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Default Re: On city policies, and swapping focus

Your higher tier projects require the associated policy project to work. Without that project in place you will not receive more bonuses than the highest tier available without the policy specialization. It is definitely viable to build up your infrastructure to the highest possible in each policy category in turn. The disadvantages are, as you pointed out, "3 turns and ~2000 mirian", and also the higher upkeep for the many high tier projects you will not actually be benefiting from much of the time. Doing so also increases liability, since more of your projects will be high tier, they will be more expensive to fix whenever anything bad happens to them.

That being said, I almost always end up doing as you describe if a campaign goes on long enough. What else are you going to do with all that mirian?