Thread: Bretonnia army composition

Default Bretonnia army composition

Hey people, I'm enjoying playing as my favourite faction with Bretonnia but was wondering how other Bretonnia users set their armies up, and find that balance of infantry, cavalry and special units?

I like to have at least four units of polearm infantry and two units of battle pilgrims and foot squires. I then have at least three units of archers and one trebuchet. Now this is where it gets tricky as I like to have a bit of everything, I have a variety of knights of the realm, questing knights and one unit of grail knights or grail guardians.

I don't really have room for paladins or a damsel though.

Default Re: Bretonnia army composition

Way too many infantry. Bretonnia isnt supposed to play like Empire with a core of infantry supported by knights. Its the opposite.

You should have 5-6 melee infantry units in your army, a mix of foot squire, pilgrim and halberds. 3-4 archers with poison arrows to help your infantry line stands a bit longer, and especially for dealing with those annoying missile cavalry.

2 pegasus knights for surgical strikes and taking out artillery / monster hunting.
    Your core chargers should be either KofR or Questing Knights. Grail knights are ok, very good against Undead but generally not compulsory.

2 trebuchets to make them come to you, so the cavalry can smash them. Trebuchets are even more important to Bretonnia than artillery for Empire, because Bretonnia would be hard-pressed against a turtled enemy since they lack infantry shock troops.

My usual setup is
    Six foot squires
    Six bowmen
    Two blesed trebuchets
    the rest questing knights

mind you, by the time i get this composition I've unlocked skills that have them all trained as level 9.

I avoid the shock cavalry as I prefer my units being a bit meatier in melee.

At first i kept to battle pilgrims due to their shields but when people started saying foot squires are much better and OP against other units I switched over.

Works against immediate enemies like Wood Elfs and Beastmen, but I never tried this army against Dwarfs or Archaeon.

Usually go more like Dalaran but I do find Damsels and Paladinss very useful and usually have 1 of each hero.

For a cheaper defensive army-

Lord
    Damsel
    2 Trebuchet
    3 Archers
    2 Polearms
    2 Foot Squires
    2 Mounted Yeomen
    2 Knights Errant
    2 Knight of the Realm
    2 Pegasus
    1 Questing Knight
    1 Random- usually Grail Relique, Hippogryph, or some cavalry or extra archer if need to be really cheap.

Errant Army

Lord
    Damsel
    Paladin
    3 Foot Squires
    2 Battle Pilgrim
    2 Archers
    2 Trebuchet
    4 Knights of the Realm
    2 Pegasus Knights
    1 Grail Knight
    1 Hippogryph

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

I find that the kings starting army is quite strong.

5 peasants to hold the line
    4 bows to stop fast cav
    1 trebuchet to make them attack
    6 knights to crush the flanks
    The rest is up to you

Its perfectly viable to run around with a 75% stack. Its more than enough for orcs beastmen and norsemen.
    Make sure you grab lightning strike though.