Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ROP v3.0 Suggestions Thread

Argive Strategos's Avatar Civis

Default Re: ROP v3.0 Suggestions Thread

I remember I had found the folder when I was playing darthmod and modded some things in the historical battles (more exp for units). They don't necessarily need to have scripts.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...orical-Battles

Will the ionikoi/dorikoi hoplitai have a linothorax or no armour at all? Are those hoplites meant to represent a citizen militia or levies or city state allies with lower quality oplites?

The Wise Coffin's Avatar History is the Future
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Argive Strategos View Post
    Will the ionikoi/dorikoi hoplitai have a linothorax or no armour at all? Are those hoplites meant to represent a citizen militia or levies or city state allies with lower quality oplites?
    They will not have body armour, only a helmet and their shield. Their suppose to represent almost like levies or militias, if you can call it as such in this timeperiod.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise Coffin View Post
    They will not have body armour, only a helmet and their shield. Their suppose to represent almost like levies or militias, if you can call it as such in this timeperiod.
    Ok, so will there be any hoplites on the Greek mainland with a linothorax or does everyone get bronze armour?

Blog Entries

I'm making my third and last revision to the unit stats. If an additional space appears for a unit, do you guys wish to see a Achaemenid Chariot unit?
    It wouldn't be the general bodyguard unit tough. That is still for the cavalry unit from previous versions.

I would like to se scythed chariots for the Persians.

I feel they would be a good addition only if they are historically accurate and fit the timeline. I don't know much about Persian army reforms, but I don't think the persians used chariots as early as 559BC. I might be wrong. If they existed, then the chariots would be a great addition, however if the chariot is something from 330BC with Alexander, I feel maybe it isn't a good addition.

In wikipedia, scythed chariots are used by the Persians after the Greco-Persian wars. Some say it was a response to the hoplite infantry. However, there was an absence of chariots in the Greco-Persian wars. Therefore I do not think a chariot unit should be added as the Persian army was still in its early stages (no chariots, no elephants etc).
    Last edited by Argive Strategos; June 15, 2017 at 05:05 AM.

Blog Entries

The Achaemenid Chariots of this time period are like other nation chariots, without the blades on the sides. At this time they were more of a cerimonial piece, so that's why i'm asking for the fans opinion on this one.

Ok, if they were used on the battlefield, I think they would be a good addition to the roster.

Please, PLEASE, put the unit names in English, at least in brackets like Europa Barbarorum does it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alekho View Post
    Please, PLEASE, put the unit names in English, at least in brackets like Europa Barbarorum does it
    Do not worry, that is what i am doing.

Do not worry, that is what i am doing.
    That's good to hear. How's progress?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alekho View Post
    That's good to hear. How's progress?
    Readying a version with custom battles very shortly.

Readying a version with custom battles very shortly.
    That's great to hear! Any hint on when can we expect the campaign to come around, or is that too much to ask?

Blog Entries

I've just realised that ROP3 goes all the way to 360 BC, unlike ROP2 that went up to 480 BC.
    I was thinking that after i make the basic version of 3.0 if i should try something like the marian reforms feature to represent the evolution of the armies threwout the centuries?

I will be keeping some unit space, just in case that it's needed, since i really don't know how to work with the marian reforms.

I think the Marian reforms and 360BC a bad idea. I always saw the marian reforms as too cheesy, as in the minute you get an imperial palace, you get urban cohorts. That means if you keep the taxes low and disband peasants in your territory, you can trigger army reforms early in the game. Army reforms occurred after a major conflict (persian kardakes developed to fight against greek hoplites after the greco-persian wars), not after a city grew to a certain size. I also think that 360BC is a bad end date, as that is more like the rise of Macedon. The pike phalanx was always messy and unbalanced in total war, leading to even mods like EB having problems balancing pikes. Finally, many factions would not be able to get army reforms, as by then Persia had wiped out most of the middle eastern factions. Many fun factions like Lydia, Egypt and Media did not historically get reforms, as they didn't exist after 450BC, so if a persian/greek player builds a huge city, they will have an unfair advantage throughout the early game, middle game and most of the late game. At least this is how I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Argive Strategos View Post
    I think the Marian reforms and 360BC a bad idea. I always saw the marian reforms as too cheesy, as in the minute you get an imperial palace, you get urban cohorts. That means if you keep the taxes low and disband peasants in your territory, you can trigger army reforms early in the game. Army reforms occurred after a major conflict (persian kardakes developed to fight against greek hoplites after the greco-persian wars), not after a city grew to a certain size. I also think that 360BC is a bad end date, as that is more like the rise of Macedon. The pike phalanx was always messy and unbalanced in total war, leading to even mods like EB having problems balancing pikes. Finally, many factions would not be able to get army reforms, as by then Persia had wiped out most of the middle eastern factions. Many fun factions like Lydia, Egypt and Media did not historically get reforms, as they didn't exist after 450BC, so if a persian/greek player builds a huge city, they will have an unfair advantage throughout the early game, middle game and most of the late game. At least this is how I think.
    Yeah, your right. Hopefully i can just put in the descr strat the older campaign time of 490 BC without any crashes.

Yes, actually scythed chariots are too early, you seem right. However it would not be a bad idea to add them in the highest possible building like a foundry or a huge palace so to make them appear late in the game. Also, I believe that it would not be a bad idea to add an emergent Assyrian faction???

Yeah, your right. Hopefully i can just put in the descr strat the older campaign time of 490 BC without any crashes.
    If 490BC will crash the game, maybe 480BC or the end of the 2nd greco-persian war. Basically before reforms were made to the armies (both greek and persian). But why would 490BC crash the game?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2