Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Royal Road - Our Development Journal

The Wise Coffin's Avatar History is the Future
    Blog Entries

Default The Royal Road - Our Development Journal

Welcome everyone!
    This thread is a continuation, if you can say that, of the thread made by rez also called
    The Royal Road - Our development journal; the purpose of the thread is to show the updates of the current work being done to the Rise of Persia v3. I've made this thread so that i can have more controll in what is the thread will have to show you, and also to be better organized.

Our development journall will be shown as a development issue; whenever comes a post with the title of development issue, it means that its a preview of the mod. Whenever you have an idea that you want to share, please post it on the
    ROP V3.0 Suggestions Thread; however,if you just want to say something about an development issue that is posted you can say it here on this thread.

Some sticky threads were unsticked for organization issues, so that now all threads serve a specific reason.
    We are to few, and if you want to help please send an request to the Rise of Persia Group; is there that we are discussing and trying to apply some of the changes for the mod; of course that we will always will give you an update on the situation threw this thread.

It has been a long time, but we are actually trying to finish this great mod, and i myself want really hard to end it.
    This mod was the reason to make me like Total War in the first place, and threw this mod i was able to know the Achaemenid Culture, to which im now in love with

Blog Entries

Default Newest Updates

I have reached a point in modding where it crashes whend loading the campaign and does not show that nice little correction message that says whats the issue. It serves me right to try and overhaul the mod almost from its foundations. But do not think i will give up on the mod. NEVER!

What i am going to do is actually what i should have done from the very beginning, but was to stubborn to do so, and that is working with the base version of version 3.0 and mold such version to its final release. I tried to make my dream ROP mod, but now i know, for stability issues, that i must follow the vision of the original team that entrusted the mod to me. Still, even by following the style and design of the development team, it doesn't mean that i can't add new stuff into the mod. So i shall, but with the overhaul ROP aesthetic. This is the reason why i deleted the previous development journal and faction previews, because i can't guarantee that all will be incorporated in this new development.

Next posts will be small previews of the work that i will be adding to the existing version of ROP. Do not worry tough, because this way will be faster than what i was doing previously, and of course much of the work that i put earlier will be utilized also in here, but not to such a extent. I will also create a new suggestion thread in this ROP forums so that i can ask the fans for suggestions with certain gameplay aspects of the mod.

Argive Strategos's Avatar Civis

Default Re: The Royal Road - Our Development Journal

What exactly will be lost? And what will be kept? Will the big map be lost? The rosters I suppose will stay the same, and so will the buildings and traits, but I am guessing the map will be lost?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Argive Strategos View Post
    What exactly will be lost? And what will be kept? Will the big map be lost? The rosters I suppose will stay the same, and so will the buildings and traits, but I am guessing the map will be lost?
    It's actually the contrary, the map will be the new one, and not all shown units will appear. I need to try and work with the base mod without trying to touch to much on its models and mechanics, or i will get again a crash. But i still intend to add much of what i worked on in the last version. Also, unfortunately the new regions added will not appear. I will try to learn how to make them so to add some to the current work, since i belive it could help, since the map got bigger but no new cities were added.

May I ask, what was the last folder you modded before it crashed? I have had crashes before, and although I barely mod besides unit stats or building effects, a missing space bar in the code could be it. what is the exact message given before loading a campaign? maybe I could help, I will look it up if you want or I might know by experience.

Blog Entries

May I ask, what was the last folder you modded before it crashed? I have had crashes before, and although I barely mod besides unit stats or building effects, a missing space bar in the code could be it. what is the exact message given before loading a campaign? maybe I could help, I will look it up if you want or I might know by experience.
    It doesn't say whats the issue with those useful crashing messages. It simply goes to the desktop ans says it crashed.

I hope this might help you recover your lost work. This website has some details in this matter.
    http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Campaig...t_Loading:_RTW

I found this to save you time, but if this doesn't solve it, the solution might be elsewhere in the link.

• Symptom: Game CTD's with no message shortly after arrow is clicked to start campaign - new map.rwm is generated.

• Width or height of map exceeds maximum. (Maximum = 510pixels map_regions, 1021pixels map_heights size.
    • Misspelt character name in descr_strat.txt, or use of name which doesn't belong to faction you have assigned it to - check in data/descr_names.txt for faction specific names.
    • An elephant or chariot unit which is included in the descr_strat.txt file has an 'officer' assigned to it in export_descr_unit.txt. Those types of units cannot have an officer and unlike other unit related bugs this one causes CTD on trying to load campaign - (thanks to Dol Guldur for reporting).
    • One or more pixels in map_regions.tga have a wrong RGB value.
    • Attempting to place more than one wonder in the same region.
    • Try to give more than 24000 population to a city (perhaps RTW run done but perhaps no).
    • The wife of a character must be less old, it could be cause CTD or KTM without show_err message.

• Symptom: Game CTD's with no message about 3/4's way through campaign loading bar.

• Having a radar_map1.tga which is too large, the radar_maps should be in same proportions as map_regions.tga to avoid a stretched effect, but making them same size as the map_regions.tga for a larger map causes crash.

• Symptom: Game CTD's with no message at the end of the campaign loading bar.

• Using a rebel type in descr_regions.txt that does not have proper entries in data/descr_rebel_factions.txt and data/text/rebel_faction_descr.txt
    • When you have an faction in descr_strat.txt associated to playable / nonplayable but not used in this section of the descr_strat.txt "start of factions section"
    Last edited by Argive Strategos; March 04, 2017 at 11:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Development Issue #1 - Eastern Family Tree Portraits & Faction Summary

This is a small preview of some portraits for generals and other family members, like wifes, sons and daughters.
    Also on the right the new Faction summary image for eastern culture factions.

Note: If anyone interested in aiding this mod, please write me a message saying so, or commenting on this thread.
    At this moment i wante to find someone that can create settlements to add a few new ones to the map.

I am sad to see that my help wasn't enough to help you save your work. So according to the map, Taras will be playable again? But no syracuse or etruscans, right? Either way, still fun, Tarantine cav was amazing.

Blog Entries

I am sad to see that my help wasn't enough to help you save your work. So according to the map, Taras will be playable again? But no syracuse or etruscans, right? Either way, still fun, Tarantine cav was amazing.
    My work will not be wasted. I still intend for the etruscans and syracuse, but since i am now using the base ROP3 i will be picking up things, first from more secular things like images and names, and then whend the easier things are done i will get to work on the harder parts, like buildings and trying to create new cities.

Good luck and amazing determination. Good luck in your endeavors!!

Blog Entries

Default Development Issue #2 - Greek Family Tree Portraits & Faction Summary

Note: If anyone interested in aiding this mod, please write me a message saying so, or commenting on this thread.
    At this moment i wante to find someone that can create settlements to add a few new ones to the map.

- I also was able to fix the problem that existed with my previous work of ROP3, but now a new error appears saying that a certain unit_german_captain texture is missing. But that doesn't make any sense, since on the base work of ROP3 there is no such texture; not even on Rome Total War vanilla. So i don't know what to do in this situation.

Good job to fixing the old problem. For this one, try adding a random texture under the name of unit_german_captain This should hopefully fix the problem. For example, just copy a random greek/persian or whatever texture and rename it, it could fix it. It is just a guess, but it could help.

I suppose the game now crashes due to fighting a battle. The German captain represents what faction? Whatever the case, if it is persia, just copy a median captain and rename it, it should at least stop the crashing, according to the forums I am reading, but don't use the rebel captains. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Argive Strategos; March 28, 2017 at 07:17 AM.

Are you still modding for your dream ROP3 mod or have you moved back to the original one? I ask, because I hope that the links I have been finding have helped you enough to tackle the problems you have.

Blog Entries

Thankfully i was able to find the way to pass all my unit work from the previous version of the mod, so those units i showed in the pass work in the base work that i am doing. Now i need to rework their stats and other campaign things, like adding the new regions and see more crashing problems.

Did the links I found for the road problem help you?

Blog Entries

Default Development Issue #3 - Introduction of Camel Units

Rise of Persia v3.0 will introduce camel units into the mod!
    They wont be many of them, but its still a amount that will add more depth into the campaign.

Here's two examples of some of those camel units.

EB TEAM CREATION----ROP TEAM CREATION

Arabim Gammal-------------Usabari

Both units are sort of their regional representives whend it comes to camel recruiting; being the first one for the arabian peninsula, while the right one is for the iranian region.

Note: I know now how to put new regions on the map, so i guess if any help could be got in terms of aiding with additional textures and maybe even model unit making i would appreciate; however that can be done already since i pick up unit from several other mods.
    Last edited by The Wise Coffin; April 16, 2017 at 05:44 AM.

Blog Entries

Icon4 Development Issue #4 - Changing City Names

This is not something of huge importance, but i made so that in Rise of Persia you can change the name of the cities like in medieval 2.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Note: What i need with great urgency is to rework the buildings of the mod, since they are mostly awfully implemented, so if anyone would like in helping me in the addition of a unique building tree for this mod i would appreciatte.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Development Issue #4 - Changing City Names

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise Coffin View Post
    This is not something of huge importance, but i made so that in Rise of Persia you can change the name of the cities like in medieval 2.
    Sorry but what do you mean ..."I made so"....? this can be done in any RTW/mod preferences folder>EDIT_SETTLEMENT_NAMES >change FALSE to TRUE
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; May 08, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
    Do not confuse my personality with my attitude....My personality is who I am....
    my attitude depends on who you are...
    My youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre
    RTR 8 Project member/_4.0 beta tester. RS_WWC_submod beta tester

Blog Entries

Default Re: Development Issue #4 - Changing City Names

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Sorry but what do you mean ..."I made so"....? this can be done in any RTW/mod preferences folder>EDIT_SETTLEMENT_NAMES >change FALSE to TRUE
    Yes, that was the way on how i made it so that the names of settlements can be changed. Thank you for reminding me such a simple procedure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast