Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Burning Isles

Default Re: The Burning Isles

Aeronwen has a lot to be concerned about and raising a child during these times most likely will be a challenge - especially if the father happens to not return. Travelling to another country with a child seems to be impossible during these times of uncertainty. I wonder what she'll do!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree with Caillagh and theSilentKiller, Aeronwen's changed perspective, as her child will soon be born, makes for compelling reading. I wonder if the child's father will return.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Added this into post 12, December 22 because I missed this important plotpoint regarding the bloodfeud: “No sooner have I learned the nature of my husbands’ quarrel than it is over! Men! Fifty years of feuding, and then a few scuffles together in the mud against the Aengles of Lindseige to the north and suddenly Osric has a new Seaxneating friend, Freawulf. Gah

Not to detract from Freawulf: he’s a jovial fellow, and much more mild than many of his countrymen. Perhaps he will have a calming effect on my husband…”

Characters and other Content

Aerenwen a Y Strafi and her husband Osric Wulfricssunu Raedwalding, son of Ealdorman Wulfric of Gyrwas

Map
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Major realms of Britain; Aenglalond conprises all of the reddish-orange territories in the east withthe exception of Lindsege. The giant orange at the bottom is Frankia-Soissones

*Powys is an old and powerful kingdom, ruled by the descendants of Vortigern
    *Dummonia is also old; ruled by the Pendragons (Mordred ap Uther rules at this point, ("king") Arthur is a minor lord in the south of the kingdom and was a mercenary captain in the mainland before being recalled to fight the Germanic factions to the east
    *Siluria is a recently risen powerhouse, born of the union of the two southern Welsh kingdoms of Guent and Siluria
    *Guened is an ally of Powys ruled by Cunedda Wleddig "the Horseman" and his sons
    *Suth Seax and Cantia are ruled by descendents of Hengist and Horsa
    *Ebracu, the Pennines, and Elmet are ruled by the sons of Ceneu Coeling, grandfather or Aerenwen a Y Straffi
    *Bryneich is a client kingdom of Ebrauc ruled by Eugein "Magnus" Archill, the man behind Dunawt a Y Straffi's death
    *Rheged and Alt Clut are strong British kingdoms recently broken free of the hegemony of Ebrauc in the uprising led by Dunawt's eldest son (who fell in the battle) against King Mor of Ebrauc
    *the pale blue north of Bryniech is Lleudianawn, the realm of King Lewdin and his son Gwalchmai (who is the ruler due to Llewdin's death)

5 August, 489

Osric has returned, and with his friend Freawulf no less – and here I had hoped that Freawulf Seaxnating would settle Osric to some extent, not encourage his rashness! Still, I am grateful that he would risk his neck for my fool of a husband, and grateful even to Osric, to some extent: knowing that Ceidio ap Eugein is cold and dead does not bring me joy, but it is just.

On the other hand Aelle Ironshield Rex Anglorvm has named the prattling, murderous fool marshall – not that he understands anything beyond running at his enemy and staving in his skull. Osric may be brave, but he is no tactition, no Caesar, no Syagrius… I now find myself thinking of that great man as Saegrus, so long have I been in the land of the Aengles, yet still my heart aches for the last bastions of civilized peoples. I've suggested he read of Alexander - if anything would interest him in knowledge I thought it would be the great conqueror of the ancient world, but he says only to stop nagging at him

Addendum: the birth was easy, thank the gods, and I thank them fervently that Osric returned and my son, my beautiful son will not be raised fatherless. Osric may not provide the romance I dreamed of as a girl, but he can provide the iron I learned as a woman grown that I need. Perhaps Wulfrith will take me north: as son of Aengle and Briton both, he could well rule over both peoples.... but that is neither here nor now, and for the now he sleeps peacefully

Thought I'd pop this update out right quick in between classes, responses and some game notes for anyone interested will be up later today

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wulfrith is the father of our eventual main character... I don't remember what other gameplay notes I was going to put up

Thanks to those who have commented, Aeronwen's children have rough and tumultuous paths ahead of them
    Last edited by waveman; May 22, 2017 at 08:57 PM.

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

It's good to see that Osric has survived - that will be one weight off Aeronwen's shoulders, at least. I wonder how much trouble Freawulf will get Osric into in future, though...

I'm interested to see how Wulfrith's childhood turns out.

Thank you for the map; those are always helpful!

waveman's Avatar Decanus

He'll have an interesting life alright, and Seaxneatings like Freawulf always mean trouble! I'll have a more detailed map up in a few updates as well

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Dec 25.

Osric is an oaf; he might have the strength to keep us safe, but O! how I wish for a dashing man like Arthwr, who has been called back from the Continent and has halted the Southern Seax, or for a man to whisk my off my feet like my father did for my mother! But alas, for that is not to be my life…

Perhaps my sister-by-law Gunhilda will be more fortunate in that regard than I: she has now seen sixteen summers and is in the flower of beauty. Osric has petitioned his father Ealdorman Wulfric to arrange her marriage to his friend Freawulf Seaxneating, and the old man grudgingly agreed. So too did Bedca, father of Freawulf – it seems no one can refuse that charming man anything!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

The map and comments on factions are helpful. I wonder what Gunhilda's marriage with Freawulf will be like, considering that Freawulf previously encouraged Osric's rashness and knowing that Seaxneatings mean trouble!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

Yes, from the sound of things Gunhilda shouldn't expect to end up considering herself more fortunate than Aeronwen...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12