View Poll Results: What do you think could be done with the Symposium? (Please read how to vote, below, and as before, this poll is not binding in any way)

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Form: Leave it where it is

6 40.00%
  • Form: Make it a sub-forum of the CVRIA; still open for posting

4 26.67%
  • Form: Archive it; closed for posting

8 53.33%
  • Function: If you choose option 3, select this option IF you think the CVRIA main should become a place for Symposium-style discussions

6 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The future of the Symposium, continued

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

Default The future of the Symposium, continued

For the sake of clarity, I have decided to open a new poll and discussion thread for the Symposium, since quite a bit has changed in the month the first poll and thread has been open. The Symposium no longer houses the Living History Forum, for a start, and a general consensus has been achieved that an outright merge of the Symposium and the Curia would not be appropriate.

I have determined the following considerations:

The form of the Symposium

The Symposium exists as a Citizen-only general discussion forum on the index. It has a long history and is home to countless important threads, so to merge it with the Curia would be inappropriate and lead to threads being messed up between the two. However, it's long history has seemingly ground to a halt in recent years, and there remains no obvious purpose for it to remain on the index in its current inactive state. Thus, we have three options:

1. Leave it where it is
    2. Make it a sub-forum of the CVRIA; still open for posting
    3. Archive it*; closed for posting

*Where the Symp is archived is probably yet another question. The CVRIA? The LHF? The Cemetery?

The function of the Symposium

If we choose option 3 in the poll, and archive the Symposium (in which case it would closed for posting), we need to determine whether or not the function of the Symposium should be absorbed by the CVRIA. In other words, does the CVRIA become a place for more "casual" discussions, or not?

4. Make the CVRIA a place for Symposium-style discussions

The specifics of this can probably be addressed in any proposed Amendment. There could be a certain type(s) of discussion(s) allowed, and if the Curator feels that any discussion is not suited to the CVRIA/better suited elsewhere, it could be moved or locked at there discretion, for example.

How to vote

In the above poll, please select one of the first three options regarding the form of the Symposium (I suppose if you could support more than one of the first three options, you are welcome to select them; the poll is multiple-choice to allow for option 4).

If you select option 3, and you think that the CVRIA should become the place for Symposium-style discussions, please also select option 4 (the poll is multiple choice for this reason specifically). If you don't think the CVRIA should become a place for Symposium-style discussions, but should still be archived, you would NOT select option 4.

Hopefully, that's not too hard to understand. If you make a mistake when voting, I should be able to edit the results, or disregard them in any case (and that's why this poll is a public one).

As before, this poll is not binding in any way. It's just a way to determine the preferences of all parties.
    Last edited by Frunk; February 25, 2017 at 08:47 PM.
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

PikeStance's Avatar Talk'in to me
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The future of the Symposium, continued

Iskar
    What is the argument here? Frunk's question is to those who would keep the Symposium to name a current use of it that would justify keeping it. If no satisfactory answer to this question is given then suggesting the removal is the single most sensible thing to do.
    It wasn't created out of thin air or on a whim. If you going to suggest its removal you must know its original stated purpose. It seems a logical to me.

Vet
    Following this logic, we can skip removing anything from the forum Index, unless somebody who has the authority to do so decides to remove a large chunk in one go. Removing the two subforums as mentioned by Frunk earlier must also have been a useless exercise then, as they took only less than 2% of the forum space after all.
    I didn't argue that it was using up resources. I just pointed out the absurdity of that argument. They could be perfectly valid reasons for removing a single subforum, but using up resources isn't one of them. At least it isn't in this case.

I am not sure why you would want to waste time discussion/ voting on this.
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers | House of Noble Discourse

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Iskar

It wasn't created out of thin air or on a whim. If you going to suggest its removal you must know its original stated purpose. It seems a logical to me.

Vet

I didn't argue that it was using up resources. I just pointed out the absurdity of that argument. They could be perfectly valid reasons for removing a single subforum, but using up resources isn't one of them. At least it isn't in this case.

I am not sure why you would want to waste time discussion/ voting on this.
    1. I am perfectly aware of its "original stated purpose". But we are not the community from seven/eight/ten years ago, we are today's community and we need to ask whether it has a current use - the answer to that seems to be negative. By your argument one should keep any and all old institutions and institutes just because they were used once upon a time.

2. Nobody made the point of using up resources. The point was de-cluttering of the index.
    Last edited by Iskar; February 26, 2017 at 03:36 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Neadal/Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Leave it where it is, just because it isn't currently active doesn't mean it should be removed (e.g. main staff forum was just as inactive until recently) and it fills a unique enough role to warrant contiuned existence i.e. not merging or archiving.

Whilst it is only for Citizens, it is distinct enough from the Curia (relaxed, Citizen's-only forum vs. 'legislative' centre) to remain a separate forum. Making it a sub-forum would make the Curia more confusing to navigate in my opinion, bucking the recent trend of making things easier to understand and find.

If you're worried about index space make it only visible to Citizens and hidden to everyone else.

My two cents, change doesn't always mean improvement or progress.

One thing I'd like to offer some thought on, if the Proth was to be opened up to all members perhaps still having a Citizens-only forum would be a nice feature, so that's something to think before scrapping it or letting the Curia main take over its role.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Staff fora serve a clear purpose to the benefit of the rest of the site and they are invisible to most people anyway.

The citizenry does not have a clear cut purpose (otherwise it would just be an elected staff branch) and the Symp would only serve the citizenry itself, not the rest of the site.

I doubt the Curia would become harder to navigate, seeing as the amount of new/active threads in the Curia main is rarely above two and rarely above zero for the Symposium. If the need for a dedicated citizen discussion forum arises in the future the Symp or any new instance of it can be restored/created within a few seconds. (And to be honest, the Curia does not do any meaningful "legislation" these days beyond the self-regulation entertainment show and even that is well served in the dignified Proth and such, so there is, in my opinion, no harm in allowing less high and mighty discussions in the Curia main.)
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Neadal/Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Artifex

I concur with Iskar on all points.

Regarding the Staff Forum and any other non-public forums. They may be inactive, but they don't detract from the site because they can't be seen by the wider member base, and even though they may fall inactive, the Staff Forum in particular serves a pretty important purpose as a meeting place for staff, which is only needed on an ad hoc basis.

The inactivity of the Symposium is plain for everyone to see, and its purpose has become largely moot.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Voted for option 2 although I'm ok with either of the other options as well. The Curial Changes forum could be moved to the Curia main as well as a subforum, can't see why that needs to be on its own.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I can see where you guys come from, you're making some fair points - although I would argue against the idea that the Citizenry doesn't have a clear purpose.

Even with that in mind, I still have the same view as before so will oppose and vote against option 3, although I could probably see myself supporting option 2 if it comes to that as a happy middle ground. The recent drive to cull excess and strip everything back doesn't have to apply to everything and I still believe the Symp has the potential for use and fills a unique enough role even to remain open even if it isn't currently utilised.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Artifex

@Shank: It's a fair point of view. I argue that supporting option 3 & 4 still leaves plenty of room to move. If the CVRIA becomes a hotbed of casual discussions after the Symp is archived, it can always be restored. Honestly, though, I doubt it. These changes aren't "stripping back for the sake of stripping back". I genuinely believe there is nothing more to be gained in these inactive sections. Removing them allows us to focus on what we do have which works, and move forward from there, rather than accept that things have always been a certain way and hope that they will recover with time.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    The Curial Changes forum could be moved to the Curia main as well as a subforum, can't see why that needs to be on its own.
    Yep, it's on my radar.

Possibly something that staff can deal with since it's not really a "part" of the Capitol, as it were.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

About options 3 and 4.

Option 3:

Should we decide to archive the symposium, will there be a discussion/poll on where to archive it?

Going by the premise that archiving means at least closing it, I can imagine that it would make a difference to some people if the archiving is done "somewhere inside the Curia" or in the cemetery. I am not against either of those options, as long as the Symposium is no longer visible as a separate subforum on the main index page.

Archiving it in the Curia itself could have the benefit that it is easy to link to old Symposium threads for reference, when a same style discussion is opened in the new environment. For instance, a new "New Citizens post here" thread, could have a link in the OP to the old one, thus making it easily available without importing 7990 "old posts" into the new thread.

Option 4:

I did not choose it (yet) because it's not exactly clear to me what it entails. Do we start with an empty subforum, to be filled with "Symposium style threads" as the need arises?

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Iskar;15260424]1. I am perfectly aware of its "original stated purpose". But we are not the community from seven/eight/ten years ago, we are today's community and we need to ask whether it has a current use - the answer to that seems to be negative. By your argument one should keep any and all old institutions and institutes just because they were used once upon a time.[QUOTE]
    To my knowledge the original purpose has never been amended. The issue isn't the purpose, it is if is rarely use, should it remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    2. Nobody made the point of using up resources. The point was de-cluttering of the index.
    I remember reading some where. I won't bother looking it up, I fond this issue much ado about nothing. The index is not cluttered. "The Capital" is why down at the bottom of the page.
    I like the idea that it can only be visible for citizens. I am also fine with it being a subforum to the Curia, though I think I understand why it wasn't originally put there.

I wish we can chat about something else.... this is one of those things the rest of the site sees in the Curia and laugh. Honestly.
    You know what would be infinitely more productive; coming up with topics and chatting away in the Symposium.
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    About options 3 and 4.

Option 3:

Should we decide to archive the symposium, will there be a discussion/poll on where to archive it?

Going by the premise that archiving means at least closing it, I can imagine that it would make a difference to some people if the archiving is done "somewhere inside the Curia" or in the cemetery. I am not against either of those options, as long as the Symposium is no longer visible as a separate subforum on the main index page.

Archiving it in the Curia itself could have the benefit that it is easy to link to old Symposium threads for reference, when a same style discussion is opened in the new environment. For instance, a new "New Citizens post here" thread, could have a link in the OP to the old one, thus making it easily available without importing 7990 "old posts" into the new thread.

Option 4:

I did not choose it (yet) because it's not exactly clear to me what it entails. Do we start with an empty subforum, to be filled with "Symposium style threads" as the need arises?
    For option 3: I think a Decision along the lines of "Should the Symposium be archived?" would come first, followed by another poll or possibly a Decision as to where. I think I would prefer the CVRIA to the Cemetery, personally, for the reasons you state.

For option 4: As Iskar says in post 5, option 4 is about the CVRIA main becoming a place for any Symposium-style discussions. There would be no new sub-forum. The expectation is that not much will change because the CVRIA main rarely has more than a couple of threads active at any one time (legislative discussions), whilst the Symposium rarely has any threads active at all (general discussions).

I think I wrote in the last thread (would check and link but I'm on my phone) something about threads only being moved/copied from the Symposium if they are ever truly needed to continue the discussion. Otherwise, I would opt to remake threads like the New Citizens Post Here, from scratch, with a link as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I wish we can chat about something else.... this is one of those things the rest of the site sees in the Curia and laugh. Honestly.
    You know what would be infinitely more productive; coming up with topics and chatting away in the Symposium.
    I find it more likely that any tendentious observers of the Curia would see more sense in the Curia trying to renovate itself, than they would in the Curia trying to cling onto the days of old.

It's very easy to say that "we" should come up with some new content for the Symposium, but as has already been said numerous times (as early as the OP in the previous poll) it is unclear what types of threads the Symposium should actually host in this day and age, when clearly other parts of the site are preferred over it. Chatters go to the TD; debaters go the the D&D. What do you want to discuss in the Symp?

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

I guess we could provide a link to the archived Symposium in the Cemetery, so that people who want to check it can find it quickly. If it comes to that of course.

I'm not sure about "Symposium" threads appearing in the Curia main forum. That is to say, normal threads are probably okay, but Stickies among the ones we already have there I would not like to see.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    It's very easy to say that "we" should come up with some new content for the Symposium, but as has already been said numerous times (as early as the OP in the previous poll) it is unclear what types of threads the Symposium should actually host in this day and age, when clearly other parts of the site are preferred over it. Chatters go to the TD; debaters go the the D&D. What do you want to discuss in the Symp?
    Again, the purpose of the Symposium is for citizens to post "anything." It is an open ended all inclusive area of the forum. The only one that exist on the site. The only requirement is that you have to be a citizens.
    Whether or not it is utilized is at the discretion of individual citizens. Why they are not using it cannot be determine, but I would not want to take that "right" from citizens. If int he future,they choose to use it, then they should have that right.

Again, instead of harping on non-essential matters, perhaps we can focus on revitalizing the site, which in turn, would increase participation of citizens as whole. The Symposium is one of those areas that could get new life. I supposed it is better to shoot a horse with a broken leg. If Seabiscuit can do it...

Patron of
    _Tataros_

Lifthrasir's Avatar A Clockwork Orange
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I might not have been a Citizen long enough to understand the purpose of the Symposium and why it should be kept in its actual "form" even if "inactive".

As Frunk mentioned, most of the subjects in there can be discussed in some other forums. Why make such forum specifically for "Citizens only"? It sounds elitist for me, considering that Citizenry is defined as an award/reward. Increasing the gap between Citizens and common members won't help the Curia.

Anyway, it might appear as a non-essential matter for you, but again as Frunk explained and that's also my understanding of this, that this place needs some re-organisation in order to be able to move forward.

On the other hand, I can understand that "older" Citizens than me are attached to this forum for any personal reason. Even if I'm more in favor to archive it (except for some threads like "New Citizens post here"), moving it as a subforum in the Curia would be a fair compromise for me.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

- Results published

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    I guess we could provide a link to the archived Symposium in the Cemetery, so that people who want to check it can find it quickly. If it comes to that of course.

I'm not sure about "Symposium" threads appearing in the Curia main forum. That is to say, normal threads are probably okay, but Stickies among the ones we already have there I would not like to see.
    We certainly don't want sticky clutter. I don't think the New Citizens thread, for example, would need to be/should be a sticky. Instead, I reckon links to such threads could be placed in the OP of the Townhall, or possibly the Curial Announcements thread.

@Pike: The crux of the matter for me is the lack of activity, but, believe it or not, you have made me somewhat question my position. Simply put, if the Symposium was active, I'd have no problem. I don't speak for anyone else, but I would be open to giving the Symposium more time to recover, because once it's archived, the door is all but closed. I honestly think it has a better chance as a sub-forum of the CVRIA, since that way everything is centralised and visitors to the CVRIA main might see that bright yellow icon (meaning new posts) and be more inclined to check it out and maybe post. This depends on an effort, and probably an active effort, from regular Citizens to use the Symposium.

I think part of the problem, though, is that there are a number of years-old threads, which by nature aren't very inviting to new Citizens. In my entire time as a Citizen, I've never felt like the Symposium is a place for "me", but rather that it's for "older" Citizens. This, I think, is why it is inactive (do we want another poll asking why Citizens don't use the Symposium?). Citizens don't feel welcome posting there (like Lifth says, it truly does have an elitist air), and that needs to change, somehow, if it is to have any hope. Perhaps new threads (not just to replace, but complement, older ones) and a general facelift (mostly referring to stickies - again, not wanting to take too much away) would help get the ball rolling.

N.b.: I'm not even referring to the Elitist Chat Thread. I have no issue with its title - I view it is as more intentionally ironic and amusing.

I encourage further discussion.
    Last edited by Frunk; February 27, 2017 at 05:03 AM.

The privilege to talk about just anything is not inherently tied to the Symposium. The latter was just the form that privilege was realised in the past. It can equally well be served by allowing such discussions in the Curia main.

I think the Symposium has had quite enough time to "recover". It didn't - partly because the other "talking" communities of TWC, the TD and the D&D, have consolidated their user base over the years: The D&D is more interesting for debate and the core of the TD crowd is, while not signified by badges, at least as tight knit a group as any citizens that would talk in the Symposium. There may have been a time when the Symposium served a unique purpose. These days are gone and hoping that people's posting habits will just rewind disregarding the current state of the site is quite in vain, in my opinion. We should not make the traditionalist error of mistaking happenstance contingencies for normative categories.
    Last edited by Iskar; February 27, 2017 at 05:13 AM.

Artifex

Very fair points, Iskar.

Can you comment further as to specifically why you do not use the Symposium? (and this question is directed at all Citizens willing to answer, since we all have the right to use the Symp, but clearly we do not).
    Last edited by Frunk; February 27, 2017 at 05:17 AM.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Very fair points, Iskar.

Can you comment further as to specifically why you do not use the Symposium? (and this question is directed at all Citizens willing to answer, since we all have the right to use the Symp, but clearly we do not).
    simply put
    I dont use the symp because what should I do here aside from the New Citizens post here thread and even that is not important to me
    what I am here for is the curia main and its subforums where all elections and important stuff takes place
    that is where I can do what I can to move this place forward
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Lifthrasir's Avatar A Clockwork Orange
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Same as atthias here
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

- Results published

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast