Thread: Occupy Nexus: A Suitable Host

WhiskeySykes's Avatar Miles

Default Occupy Nexus: A Suitable Host

The Nexus hosts Medieval 2, but it doesn't host Rome, Empire, Shogun 2, or Rome 2. Let's see if we can change that. If you have a Nexus profile, then take your requests to Dark0ne and the admins here or here. I don't know what it takes to be hosted, but I say the more voices the better.

Ok, I uploaded my mod to the Nexus. Awaiting approval.
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; February 23, 2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: status
    Shogun 2 Mods:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

WhiskeySykes's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Occupy Nexus: A Suitable Host

The Nexus is now hosting Shogun 2 mods. To upload Rome or Empire mods, enter the upload wizard.
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; February 25, 2017 at 08:12 AM.
    Shogun 2 Mods:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I agree. It sounds a good idea to host TW mods on Nexus, especially nowdays since FilePlanet, MegaUpload, and GameFront doesn't exist anymore.

However, to my knowledge only MegaUpload and GameFront has re-appeared, but these days both sites are not well known not in comparison to what both sites once were.
    Last edited by Leonardo; December 16, 2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Quoted comment removed
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Nexus Mod is similar to ModDB.
    The difference is it requires a fee to become a member. A lifetime membership is €49.99.
    You can register for monthly subscriptions of 1, 3, 6, and 12 months ranging in price from €2.99 to €24.49. The pricing seems ridiculous unless if once you upload a mod it remains indefinitely.
    With other viable options out there, I do not see how nexus is better.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Nexus Mod is similar to ModDB.
    The difference is it requires a fee to become a member. A lifetime membership is €49.99.
    You can register for monthly subscriptions of 1, 3, 6, and 12 months ranging in price from €2.99 to €24.49. The pricing seems ridiculous unless if once you upload a mod it remains indefinitely.
    No. Nexus are not similar to moDB, because Nexus is part of the modding community and the current owner of Nexus is Dark0ne aka Robin Scott. Furthermore, I doubt that moDB offers premium membership.

Anyone can create an account on Nexus, so membership on Nexus are free. Let me guess, what you're referring to is about the premium membership that Nexus offers and yes it seems exspensive, but consider what you get for that kind of money is actually generous, I mean instant download and no ads whatsoever. Of course if you spent all your time there.

Whether an uploaded mod remains indefinitely on Nexus is up for the author to decide and not the community.

Here is one former member on Nexus who simply told Dark0ne that he didn't want his mods to be available on Nexus and that happen over 4 years ago.

Requested
    Granted

With other viable options out there, I do not see how nexus is better.
    Another thing that's definitely different between modDB and Nexus is that Nexus now have automatic virus scanning for all uploaded mods there, but to my knowledge that only applies for new hosted mods while some older mods aren't virus scanned.

Should a mod(s) on Nexus not be virus scanned then any member (guest?) on Nexus will know for sure.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    No. Nexus are not similar to moDB, because Nexus is part of the modding community and the current owner of Nexus is Dark0ne aka Robin Scott. Furthermore, I doubt that moDB offers premium membership.

Anyone can create an account on Nexus, so membership on Nexus are free. Let me guess, what you're referring to is about the premium membership that Nexus offers and yes it seems exspensive, but consider what you get for that kind of money is actually generous, I mean instant download and no ads whatsoever. Of course if you spent all your time there.

Whether an uploaded mod remains indefinitely on Nexus is up for the author to decide and not the community.

Here is one former member on Nexus who simply told Dark0ne that he didn't want his mods to be available on Nexus and that happen over 4 years ago.

Requested
    Granted

Another thing that's definitely different between modDB and Nexus is that Nexus now have automatic virus scanning for all uploaded mods there, but to my knowledge that only applies for new hosted mods while some older mods aren't virus scanned.

Should a mod(s) on Nexus not be virus scanned then any member (guest?) on Nexus will know for sure.
    Having the ability to create an account and it being free is two different things. I cannot find where you can "create an account" for free. The closest thing is "Support membership for €1.29.
    I am also not bothered by ads. it is an excellent way for a site to earn revenue which allows the site to offer memberships for free or at a much-reduced rate.
    I also never had any issues with Moddb or megauploads. I see no reason to look for a site that requires a fee when there are equally as good options available.

I cannot find where you can "create an account" for free.
    Creating an account on TWC is free by clicking on the "Register" tab, right. Well, on Nexus it's the same as here on TWC, just click on the "Create Account" link to create an account.

You can also create an account on Nexus download via the "not logged in" option at the top.

When you go to the link, it doesn't indicate that you can register for free. It just shows you the premium membership and all the way at the bottom is another link to click on, but it doesn't state it is free. This should be fixed because it certainly discouraged me from signing up.

Really? Maybe you need to look around a bit or go to Nexus download (scroll down to the bottom and there is a list of several useful links) and click on the "not logged in" option at the top. You can't miss either way to create an account on Nexus.

Or go to Nexus forum and to the left, just to the right of the "Sign in" link is there a "Create Account" link, which is exactly the same as it is here on TWC via the "Register" tab at the top right.

So one can actually create an account on Nexus for free.

I already found it as I stated in post #8. It just doesn't say "free," but when you complete the process it doesn't ask for a payment.