Thread: What was the historical significance of Dolly the sheep? Cloning debate

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Default What was the historical significance of Dolly the sheep? Cloning debate

Twenty years ago today (22 February 1997), a team of researchers from Scotland announced that they had successfully cloned a sheep - the first mammal to be created from a single adult body cell. The sheep's name? Dolly.

http://www.techradar.com/news/20-yea...ld-for-cloning

What is the historical significance of this event? Is cloning a major new technology with the potential to change the world? Or was it largely a publicity stunt that has little impact on the world?

I have heard several other species have since been cloned, including a horse named Promotea in May 2003. Are we witnessing the dawn of a new historical era? And what does cloning mean for the future of the human species?
    Last edited by bigdaddy1204; February 22, 2017 at 06:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: What was the historical significance of Dolly the sheep? Cloning debate

Time to create a clone army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Default Re: What was the historical significance of Dolly the sheep? Cloning debate

That mammals can be cloned, which means humans can be cloned.

Or more importantly, your favourite pets.

Your Mogi will be your eternal companion.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

It seems to me only a matter of time before dead species such as the dinosaurs and the woolly mammoth are resurrected. What if someone wants to clone a Neanderthal? What about human cloning? What if human clones are harvested for their internal organs and used to keep 'natural' born people alive? Like in that Kazuo Ishiguro book, Never Let Me Go. It's sinister.

On the other hand, if I am about to die of heart failure and a fresh healthy cloned heart can be installed to replace the old one... as long as it didn't involve harvesting organs from sentient clones, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    It seems to me only a matter of time before dead species such as the dinosaurs and the woolly mammoth are resurrected. What if someone wants to clone a Neanderthal? What about human cloning? What if human clones are harvested for their internal organs and used to keep 'natural' born people alive? Like in that Kazuo Ishiguro book, Never Let Me Go. It's sinister.

On the other hand, if I am about to die of heart failure and a fresh healthy cloned heart can be installed to replace the old one... as long as it didn't involve harvesting organs from sentient clones, of course.
    Those are questions of bioethics which are irrelevant since cloning an entire organism is unnecessary for medical purposes as well as cost inefficient. A clone isn't different from an identical twin, albeit one created at a later date. Additionally clones undergo the same developement and aging cycle.

It is currently impossible to clone a 50 year old and immediately get a 50 year old, yet alone copy his consciousness into clone like in sci-fi. If it were possible then clones would be special, but now they're not much different from standard in vitro fertilisation. Human clones would be treated by the law in the same manner as infants conceived by in vitro fertilisation, by any scientifically literate government.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω February 23, 2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: minor correction
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    It seems to me only a matter of time before dead species such as the dinosaurs and the woolly mammoth are resurrected. What if someone wants to clone a Neanderthal?
    Nobody has ever been able to recover dinosaur DNA. Some have been able to recover human DNA from dinosaur remains and announce it before realizing their mistake. I don't know if we'll ever be able to recover dinosaur DNA, because it isn't so much an issue of technology but decay rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Nobody has ever been able to recover dinosaur DNA. Some have been able to recover human DNA from dinosaur remains and announce it before realizing their mistake. I don't know if we'll ever be able to recover dinosaur DNA, because it isn't so much an issue of technology but decay rate.
    as in
    no matter how good tech is to pick up DNA [if any] DNA decays faster so newer and better tech is needed to do it and so on and on?
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    as in
    no matter how good tech is to pick up DNA [if any] DNA decays faster so newer and better tech is needed to do it and so on and on?
    Dinosaur DNA is needed, technological capabilities don't matter when there's no usable DNA sample available.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ View Post
    Dinosaur DNA is needed, technological capabilities don't matter when there's no usable DNA sample available.
    I understand now thanks +rep
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz