Thread: Where is Galadriel?

Default Where is Galadriel?

Where is Galadriel?

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: Where is Galadriel?

She is present in DCI:LA. Don't know if there are any other mods that feature her. DCI:LA is still in development, but there are some pictures of her. Links are in the OP. There is also a little preview video that features her in action (last ten seconds).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Veteraan; February 23, 2017 at 04:17 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Ask Gimli, it seemed they had some unresolved sexual tension.

IS their a problem with woman characters? seems any image could be used.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

If the faction has a family tree, she can marry a woman and get children with that woman, while Celeborn [might] seems to be married to some other Galadriel.
    Furthermore, there's only one, resonably questionable, source of her ever fighting (that's our one of an Elven woman fighting; the Dol Guldur-account not merited here), so there's nothing obvious in making her, or expecting her as, a general at all.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Also, "Galadriel" would need to be in the Silvan male name pool. Any other Silvan male general, captain or agent could end up with the name too.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Galadriel, there's only one, resonably questionable, source of her ever fighting (that's our one of an Elven woman fighting; the Dol Guldur-account not merited here), so there's nothing obvious in making her, or expecting her as, a general at all.
    Galadriel fought furiously against Feanor, she was very ambitious, was a leader, she is very tall and strong of body and will, she wanted to have her own kingdom. It's pretty sure she commanded some troops already when she was young before First Age.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

There are two late texts [UT] where she, in the exceptional case at Alqualondë, joined the Teleri against the Noldor. In the first version it is presented as a personal act with no references to command of troops (rational since the other Noldor was not related to the Teleri as she was), while in the second version she did not have anything to do with the rebellion of the Noldor, fought in Alqualondë merely because she and Celeborn was visiting there already and led no one, there or, into ME.
    And there's no prior or later case referencing her commanding any or anyone in battle. She did not even lead any faction of her own when leaving to ME, or during the First Age [she was born in the First Age]. Once she ruled, there are still no acts of physichal participation in the Second or Third Age.
    She's a strategist and advisor to lords and realms, and do her part wielding expelling magic, but JRR do not put her in the field. Even in the case of Dol-Guldur it's specified Celeborn lead the host, Galadriel we can only for sure know cleanced the place once it was already taken (a.k.a not that she held any command or joined any battle). Add to that the radical breach against Elven cultures gender conduct, as well as the fëa, a commander Galadriel would been, yet Tolkien never mentions it.

Point is simply, anyone can do what they please with their game, but having Galadriel as a general in a TW game will be intentional game fiction, not lore representation. It's not outside of the boundries of what is plausible, nor upsetting in any way, but should only be implemented with awarness that such a step is not advocated by Tolkien, or supported the sources by default.
    Those who wants to play safe with lore on this account should not make her a general in TW (her in TATW as an ancillary and hero ability can arguably be a better representation). And those who wants to add her as general anyway should have further game concerns and lore arguments in mind as motivation for the implementation - well, if it is desired to motivate it with JRR (most likes to acquire the authority that the professor offers, hehe, but not all care - go goat cavalry!).

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    She did not even lead any faction of her own during the First Age [she was born in the First Age].
    She was born before the common First Age ('of the Sun', you must talk about the older First Age 'of the Trees'). In most recent version, she was a leader and she fought in the battle against Feanor (I mean against the Kinslaying, she wanted to protect the family of his mother). Yes, she was young at this time.
    I agree with you for the (common) ages, nothing is written so in texts about them.
    But, if we agree she really might have commanded troops in (not before, sorry) the First Age (1st battle of elves in the 1st age), then why not in those common Ages even if nothing so is even written (yes or no) for these following ages.
    Last edited by Vifarc; February 25, 2017 at 08:27 AM.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

The Years of the Sun is within the First Age, the First Age began when the Elves awoke (no worries, I was of the same misconception for years, credits to Infidel144).

"Might" is borderline fan fiction, and she was born in Aman where there was no war or battles ere Alqualondë, so I can not agree - depending on what you're trying to do, Vifarc. You can say "I think she commanded troops" and I won't argue even if I find it unfounded, but since it's not "Tolkien said she commanded troops" I won't credit it with value for anything else than fan fic' projects, like a game, painting or a personal legendarium version;

If you want to construct an argument for why she could be a general in a TW game, that is easy to do (I do for DCI), and can range from more or less well founded in lore.
    If you try to conclude that Tolkien said she was a general, and therefore she should be a general in a TW game, then that simply is not true based on the textures.
    The two above intentions are both serious but very different. One has an agenda, searching for validations in lore or lack of lore, while the other intention is academic and tries to find out what Tolkien intended and his legendarium present us.
    In most cases like this, people are not out to evaluate what Tolkien intended, they want to create a basis to add/remove what they themselves desire (more or less well founded) in a fan fic' project, like a game. The mistake is however often to confuse it with an attempt to represent the lore, as if "it might be like this" means "it is correct it was like this".

I take it you're in the group with the first intention here, anyone with the "why not"-argument arguably is - but so am I, for the sake of making the game I'd like to see (why we added Galadriel in DCI, obviously), and I think I in those cases am usually open with that I've chosen a manner of interpetation among possible options (since many matters lack straight answers), that can have question marks or be matters of controversy.
    What I stated in my first post in this thread however, is that since Tolkien did not presented her as a general, there is nothing obvious in adding Galadriel as a general - practical conerns aside - when encountering a Middle-earth game expressed to be based on the books.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

The question seems sufficiently answered. The (im)possibilities of having a female character in the game, other than as wife or daughter in a family tree, have been discussed. Also what we know from the lore about Galadriel ever commanding an army/troops has been discussed quite thoroughly.

Any further (non game related) discussions about the Galadriel character should be taken to: The Tolkien General Discussion.

This thread is closed, feel free to contact me or another Moderator about reopening it if you think there is a good reason to do so.

Last edited by Veteraan; February 26, 2017 at 06:28 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze