Thread: Anyone ever try allying with WRE early?

Default Anyone ever try allying with WRE early?

As an experiment, I started a Franks campaign on legendary with the idea of going for a Minor Victory as Rome's ally. Basically, I would ally with the WRE early, then protect the northern frontier by wiping out the Western German, Celt, & Norse factions.

All went fine until around 400. WRE still held almost all of their territories. I controlled Frisia, Scandza, & the Celtic lands. However, by 405 the Alamans, Suebians, & Vandals had managed to wreck Gaul & Iberia (with the Huns wiping out Northern Italy & the eastern frontier). I had let the Alamans do their thing so I could eventually take Belgica from them to fulfill that Victory Condition. It goes without saying that with Rome falling in the next few years I will be Public Enemy #1 in Northern Europe.

Has anyone ever successfully saved the WRE by playing another faction? Seems like a fun challenge and I'm going to try it again soon.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Default Re: Anyone ever try allying with WRE early?

It's really easy to become their ally as the Vandals, but you need their territory to progress as a faction, making any alliance obsolete within less than a decade of game time.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

I tried to save the WRE as the Ostrogoths but I failed. I managed to destroy several potential enemies of Rome early in the game but, at some point, the entire world hated me (except the romans...) and I was attacked in all fronts.

If you start out as the ERE, then you are and will remain the WRE's only ally--that is until they are wiped out. As the ERE, you have your own battles to fight without worrying about saving the WRE. I look upon them as simply a source of income since every other turn or so they are offering me large sums to join a war that they are in. Usually, it's with some faction so far on the other side of the map, that any contact with them is impossible, so of course I accept.
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Eidgeniesser's Avatar Libertus

I try to do this almost every game. Never worked. If you managed to get the continent secured then the Garamantian, Getulians and Mauryans get them from behind.