Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Portuguese Faction Mod

Default Portuguese Faction Mod

Portuguese Faction Mod

This mod makes Portugal playable in the main campaign (replacing the Uesugi), gives them a unique starting position, technology tree and unit roster.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Portuguese faction mechanics:

The Portuguese are designed to play differently to the Japanese clans. Excluding the new unit roster, here is a brief list of what makes them unique:

-They start on the island of Goto.
    -The lowest (ashigaru) tier units can only be recruited from regions with a port.
    -There are no low tier missile units available.
    -Portuguese units are in general slower but more resilient than their Japanese counterparts.

Compatibility:

I'm grateful to moshedz for beta testing the compatibility of this mod.

Quote Originally Posted by moshedz View Post
    This mod is compatible with PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING except mods that change starting location of Uesugi, such as Expanded Japan, and mods that replace the Uesugi faction.

Also incompatible with major overhauls [like Master of Strategy, Segigahara].

Compatible with Darthmod, Radious, and practically everything else.
    Please be aware, however, that you should start with both a navy and army on Goto. If you do not, one of the mods you are using is changing the scripting.lua file used to spawn these armies. You will still be able to play the mod, but are making the campaign much harder on yourself.

DOWNLOAD:

To run download the file from google drive, extract it to your Total War SHOGUN 2\data folder and select 'portugal_mod' in the mod manager. The zip file also contains a copy of sinfonica semplice to fix any sound bugs; once you have extracted the contents of the zip file to your data folder, run sinfonica and select the mod pack it generates along with the portugal mod pack in the mod manager.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8lHvQbp5v_7MnUzaVJkWFNmRkk

List of intended changes and known issues:

Here is a list of things I intend to change or fix, sorted as to whether I know exactly how to make the change. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get with these!

Know how to fix:

-Change voice lines to Portuguese (There is a Portuguese voice line mod on steam using the voice lines from Napoleon, presuming this is ok with CA, I will try to implement something similar)
    -Add in culture specific ancillaries/missions
    -Add in new Portuguese buildings/building chains
    -Add in new technologies
    -New icons for technologies
    -Remove European Traders faction (I am worried this might cause a crash when the black ship is supposed to appear)
    -Add Portuguese specific agents

Don't know how to fix:

-Fix the graphical bug for the new technology 'Terco Formation' - this may require creating an icon for square_formation
    -Change naming convention so that campaign units have both Portuguese first and last name
    -Get rid of the advisor on campaign start
    -Change the diplomatic positives and negatives from 'past grievances/friendships'
    -Add in custom formations (e.g. Caracole)

CREDITS:
    BullGod for his awesome Terco variety texture pack
    Radious for his Terco units in his Shogun 2 unit pack
    Weierstrass for his advice, particularly on how to make unit cards and for providing the unit card for Portuguese Pikemen
    Uanime5 for his invaluable guide on creating/editing factions and Crossbow model/animations
    Moshedz for beta testing the mod and checking mod compatability
    Broken_one for the plate armour model (I could not find a way to contact you - if you would like me to stop using your model I will of course do so)
    Willhelm for making available the merchant crew/musketeer unit models
    Mount and Blade:Fire and Sword team for creating the musketeer unit models
    Sonyer, Narf, sumskilz, rgcotl, sarrie for the buckler
    Izzi for the unit banner models

Last edited by mauiaw; May 07, 2017 at 06:56 PM. Reason: mod updated

Default Re: Portuguese Faction Mod

Please delete - I can now edit OP
    Last edited by mauiaw; March 14, 2017 at 05:33 AM.

oh so awesome i always want to play this way , i see : "Increase variety of unit models", by any chance in the future have super heavy infantry unit or normal unit with full looking badass armor ?

Yeah, I totally plan on doing that. Particularly for the elite units Aventureiros and Encubertados - I think during the 16th century these guys still wore a lot of heavy armour. On the other hand I would like to make the musketeers more lightly armoured.

WhiskeySykes's Avatar Miles

Holy smokes! Since the Portuguese must send for recruits half a world away, do recruitment times reflect this?

To get rid of the Uesugi movie, try deleting the entire "scripting.game_interface" line from the scripting.lua. Even better, maybe you can just rename the Nanban - whatever its called - .bik, "Faction/Start/FSM_UES.bik"?

What I mean is, play the Nanban movie as their intro.
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; February 23, 2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

Changing the starting movie sounds like a great idea, thanks! I've found that trying to delete some of the scripting game interface lines usually just ends up with the camera starting somewhere in the middle of the sea at the top of the map. I don't really have the patience to try and follow all the camera pans and figure out exactly what needs to be cut.

As for the Portuguese unit recruitment, for the moment the Portuguese play very similar to the vanilla clans (units a recruited from the buildings of their samurai counterparts) because that was simplest to balance and I spend much more time in the db tables than I do actually playing the game! In the future I will try to make the Portuguese faction more unique, for example by requiring a port in order to recruit Portuguese units and, yeah, changing recruitment times. I think I would need to create a new AI personality that prioritises building ports in that case, and I haven't looked that much into the cai tables yet.

moshedz's Avatar Foederatus

Love the idea of this mod, and may give it a go [currently helping MoA crew over here ]

Mauiaw, have you heard of Expanded Japan mod? You could maybe take the map from Expanded Japan [any size that gives islands], and replace the Portugese starting point [which WAS the Useugi], and now have them start on a island province [like where the Honma start].

Quote Originally Posted by moshedz View Post
    Love the idea of this mod, and may give it a go [currently helping MoA crew over here ]

Mauiaw, have you heard of Expanded Japan mod? You could maybe take the map from Expanded Japan [any size that gives islands], and replace the Portugese starting point [which WAS the Useugi], and now have them start on a island province [like where the Honma start].
    Haha, I'm also interested in MoA. Sorry, I've been slow to reply.

I do know of the expanded Japan mod, but since I don't have much time to check balance I thought I would start off as simple as possible and use the vanilla campaign. Another option would be to give Portugal one of the hidden settlements used for the European traders. The downsides to doing this is that you could never lose the campaign (except to be stranded in your capital) and you have to spawn troops somewhere on the mainland anyway, which due to shogun 2's military access system means that this will be the first settlement you capture anyway. The AI can also be a little funny in these cases.

I hope to make Portugal more unique in the future, at the moment it plays quite similarly to other Japanese clans. In particular, the Caravel and Galleon are only unlocked later into the game so that the Portuguese do not automatically have naval dominance. In fact, because they only have access to the light kobaya are weaker until they can access those bigger ships. This makes starting as an island faction a little less appealing. Maybe, if I can think of a mid-tier Portuguese ship or find a way to balance the larger vessels from the start I will move them to the Honma start or something.

Also, I recommend that you poll the people that like this mod "what Vanilla clan faction do you hate the most" and then just swap the Portugese for whichever faction is least liked. I know this isn't historically accurate, but at-least you'll please the masses

Very cool mod! Have only been able to play a few turns on VH campaign and so far the Portuguese units have proven to be very hardy, well worth their price which is crippling at the beginning. Would like to ask why you weakened the Halberdier unit though, for increased cost + upkeep compared to pikemen but you only get marginal +2 bonuses on some stats but at half the unit size! It makes them very... undesirable considering they're a 200+ upkeep unit. Suggest revising them (restore to 160 men? lower price? better stats?)

Very cool mod! Have only been able to play a few turns on VH campaign and so far the Portuguese units have proven to be very hardy, well worth their price which is crippling at the beginning. Would like to ask why you weakened the Halberdier unit though, for increased cost + upkeep compared to pikemen but you only get marginal +2 bonuses on some stats but at half the unit size! It makes them very... undesirable considering they're a 200+ upkeep unit. Suggest revising them (restore to 160 men? lower price? better stats?)
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're enjoying it! I think I originally wanted to make Halbediers the Portuguese answer to Naginata Samurai and so that's how I determined their stats, I later changed decreased their unit size to reflect the rarity of halberds and forgot to update their stats. I have improved their stats now. Since I can't edit my posts yet(!) I'll give a link to the new pack file below

Also, I recommend that you poll the people that like this mod "what Vanilla clan faction do you hate the most" and then just swap the Portugese for whichever faction is least liked. I know this isn't historically accurate, but at-least you'll please the masses
    So you must be an Uesugi fan! The reason I chose the Uesugi was because I could easily change the Uesugi vassal into the Uesugi faction, without having to create a whole new clan. If the mod gains enough interest I'll definitely create a poll. At the moment I don't think I would get enough votes for a meaningful result.

This is a small update to the Portuguese Faction mod.

Changes:
    -Changed stats of Halbediers, Aventuros and Pistoleers
    -Changed crew of Galleon and Caravel to Portuguese Soldier models (unfortunately this also effects the Japanese clan's versions of these ship)
    -Attempted to change intro movie to European arrival movie (at the moment this doesn't work - no movie plays at all - which I prefer to the Uesugi intro)

Compatability:
    -I don't know what is and isn't save game compatible yet, but since these changes only involve small changes to the db tables I presume it is save game compatible.

Sorry if this was posted twice, said the last one may/not have been posted.

This mod is compatible with PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING except mods that change starting location of Uesugi, such as Expanded Japan, and mods that replace the Uesugi faction.

Also incompatible with major overhauls [like Master of Strategy, Segigahara].

Compatible with Darthmod, Radious, and practically everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by mauiaw View Post
    This is a small update to the Portuguese Faction mod.

Changes:
    -Changed stats of Halbediers, Aventuros and Pistoleers
    -Changed crew of Galleon and Caravel to Portuguese Soldier models (unfortunately this also effects the Japanese clan's versions of these ship)
    -Attempted to change intro movie to European arrival movie (at the moment this doesn't work - no movie plays at all - which I prefer to the Uesugi intro)

Compatability:
    -I don't know what is and isn't save game compatible yet, but since these changes only involve small changes to the db tables I presume it is save game compatible.

That's a shame about the movie, but no big deal in the long term.

I actually prefer that the Clan galley crews be Portuguese. It was a scandal to the Spaniards that Miura Anjin had taught Tokugawa's men shipwright and graving, and western techniques for sailing. I mean, I can't see the Portuguese handing their nautical arts to the Japanese. Maybe it happened, idk...
    Shogun 2 Mods:

Hey... Hm... I know this might be far-fetched... But why don't you reach out to the creator of this mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...s-help-wanted)

Maybe you can work together, or, if he quit his work, you can pick up from where he left. There might be possibility for a win-win arrangement. We win twice! xD

Great mod btw. Love seeing my homeland represented. What I'd do, however... Is ask Uanime to make one of those trade node islands be a province/ you making it yourself so that the portuguese can have it... Just to not kick out someone from Japan

Quote Originally Posted by gmtavares2.0 View Post
    Hey... Hm... I know this might be far-fetched... But why don't you reach out to the creator of this mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...s-help-wanted)

Maybe you can work together, or, if he quit his work, you can pick up from where he left. There might be possibility for a win-win arrangement. We win twice! xD

Great mod btw. Love seeing my homeland represented. What I'd do, however... Is ask Uanime to make one of those trade node islands be a province/ you making it yourself so that the portuguese can have it... Just to not kick out someone from Japan
    EDIT: Turns out that you have indeed found it before. I just didn't see your post. Sorry I would love to see more developments in this mod! If I knew how to mod for S2TW/ has the patience to learn, I would! However, I am already modding for other games... So, not much time

Hey, thanks for your interest and sorry for the slow reply! I think I mentioned above that part of the reason why the Portuguese don't start on an island, is that they don't really have a strong navy in the beginning. Imagining that the Portuguese have taken Nagasaki and Hizen province hopefully isn't that much of a stretch of the imagination, but it seems there is some interest in this idea, so I will see what I can do to implement it. I seem to remember there was something buggy about disembarking on islands in Uanime's mod. I'm making a map of Korea at the moment for another mod I have in mind and so maybe I could fix this myself.

For now, I'm working on adding Portuguese specific missions and general portraits. Its not very technical to implement but is slow work. If you have any ideas for missions/events/incidents I would love to hear them.

Maybe there's a monk who could incite a revolt, and the missionary must convert him within X turns. Or perhaps there has already been a Buddhist uprising, and the missionary must convert the general, if its possible to convert Buddhist rebels.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeySykes View Post
    Maybe there's a monk who could incite a revolt, and the missionary must convert him within X turns. Or perhaps there has already been a Buddhist uprising, and the missionary must convert the general, if its possible to convert Buddhist rebels.
    I'm not immediately sure how I can create a mission like that. But thanks for the idea - I'll give it a try!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast