Thread: AI failing at late-game armies

Default AI failing at late-game armies

Hi guys, first of all i want to express biggest thanks to all EB team for all the time and effort you put into this fantastic mod!

I've encountered a problem that doesnt make the game impossible to play, but rather too easy. Im playing Makedonia campaign (alx engine, hv campaign difficulty, medium battle), and the AI (in my case, Seleukeia and Ptolemaioi) doesnt seem to be using any decent army compositions despite being at year 240bc. And by this i mean that AI spams mostly tier 1 units for its armies: levy spearmen, baisc archers and peltasts, adding only 1-2 relatively strong units such as thorakitai and occasionally cataphracts per stack.
    I was thinking maybe it was due to AI towns changing hands pretty often and multiple government buildings somehow screwing recuruitment, but i've seen AI sittitg in a town with a maxed out MIC building, and its description showing that pezhetairoi and other stromg units were available, but the there were only 4 kleruchoi phalangitai in that town, and no sings of anything better being produced.
    So the question is, can i somehow tweak the mod's files to make AI build better units? Are there some scripted army compositions or maybe increasing financial help for the AI would help?

Boriak's Avatar Senator

Default Re: AI failing at late-game armies

I think this is something you might be looking for. I never used it so I can't vouch for its usability.
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Formation-Mods

This mod seems to be about AI battle formations, the problem is with the unit composition the AI produces on strategic map. Or does the battle formation mod also somehow affects what AI wants to produce?

Boriak's Avatar Senator

That's the best I could find. You can try look for other mods in the Unofficial Modding Projects.

I usually have the opposite problem: recently I started to play my old Roman campaign (184 BC). My nemesis - the Yellow Plague (Ptolemies) have reconquered Alexander's empire and now have swarms of elite phalanxes waiting for me. It's going to be a fun ride...

So they actually can build elite units in mass? It seems that AI needs a stable economy to do so, from what you described. I may try to feed it some money if i find how to do this by altering mod files.
    Also, what campaign difficulty are you playing at? I heard that AI performs better on hard than on vh, or something like that.
    btw, i can imagine what pain it is to fight that as romans, dem phalanxes are so op, i even nerfed them in my campaign (-3 to 4 secondary attack and -1 shield, elite units got less debuff, but -10 to unit size).

Boriak's Avatar Senator

I play on VH/M so the AI is super aggressive but it's not overly buffed on the battlefield. I tried playing with Hard battlefield settings and it just didn't make sense to have my elites gobbled up by levies.