Thread: How to counter Lords??

Default How to counter Lords??

I've recently bought WArhammer and, though fantasy isn't generally my "thing," as I'm more interested in historical strategy, I'm taking a shine to this. I think a big part of it is that games like R2/Attila can break immersion and eventually not feel fun since they are, ultimately, games, and so sooner or later I can't get it out of my head that I'm not playing a historical game, just a game with a historical "skin," as it were.

So in that respect I'm having a lot of fun with Warhammer, but have one thing that just keeps coming up - Lords are OP. It seems that in every battle I play they get 100+ kills, and theres nothing I can do to except just throw away hundreds of men and tie down multiple units in a bid to kill them. Is there something I'm missing, or is this something I'm just going to have to deal with? I figured missile units would be a good shout but then they just end up shooting loads of my men since I'm just firing into the fray with only 1 enemy target in the midst of it all.

Hopefully there's actually a way to deal with them vs just spamming them with units and losing hundreds of men, so I look forward to hearing your input!

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: How to counter Lords??

Hi Aenima

This is a tough one especially if you do not have a legendary lord of your own or a melee expert/wizard.

My advice would be that units with the Armour Piercing trait tend to do better against lords though they do still need help by surrounding him.

Also that when you shatter the rest of the army their morale tends to tumble and they run away.

Don't shoot with missile if you have clumped soldiers around but rather use one unit to pin him down and then shoot him from behind. Again ideally with armour piercing units.

Other than that if you fight a battle with a garrison for example and don't have a lord and they have a similar force, chances are you are going to lose and it is a case of hurt them as much as possible. A decent lord can and will turn a battle. That is the way the game is. Good luck and happy conquering!

Units that do high single dmg attacks are generally good for killing a lord, i.e. other lords, some heroes, some monsters, and most artillery. Missile troops also do well if the lord has lower armor or your missile troops are armor piercing. Generally you don't want to mob a lord with a bunch of men because of the high splash dmg most of them do.

Um, Aenima, you have a lord too! On the battlefield, I tend to reserve my lord for dueling the enemy lord. It's why I dislike magic casting lords, but with those I would use a melee hero as a budget lord. After a while, your lord will outlevel the AI lords, so it gets easier. There are lots of nice non-melee skills to pick up with generals, but I usually get enough melee tree ones to unlock the final one. There's some discussion of what skills are best here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ts-to-focus-on

I do focus fire the enemy lord on advance to contact - even one unit of handgunners can make a dent. If it's "all tubes" target like Vlad or Grimgor, I will fire every single missile unit (ok, may be not the mortars!) at him until he drops, friendly fire be damned. (Typically killing an enemy lord is a crushing blow to morale).

Lords are tough to take down, but for gameplay I think this is preferable to the historical TW games, where generals sometimes can be killed easily, turning the battle. Grimgor or Vlad being the last enemy standing just feels right.

Certain Caster Heros (Vampire, Woodelf sorceress etc.) can reduce the moral, defence armor etc. of the Lord so you can take him down more easily,